I am thinking of getting the new iPhone and I want to know if there is a way to get my work email through the Exchange Server and have my local contacts and another email on it without doing MobileMe?
    07-28-2008 08:14 PM
    If your work users exchange server then you are set to go. Simply set it up on the iPhone to push your contacts, email, calender, etc...
    07-28-2008 09:49 PM
    will that cause my contacts to overlap at all? I guess I am getting mixed reports from different forums. So say that their contacts double or don't work at all.
    07-28-2008 10:00 PM
    I'm sorry. I read your post wrong. You don't have to sync your contacts via exchange. You can sync via your local computer. (contacts only if you'd like)
    07-28-2008 10:08 PM
    So I can have just my email from exchange if I so choose? If that is the case, awesome and thank you for your assistance.
    07-28-2008 10:12 PM
    Yeah, you can pick and choose what you'd like to sync. If it is just email and no contacts that is possible for sure.
    07-28-2008 10:31 PM
    I was under the impression that if you used an exchange server to push your contacts and calendar that that would wipe out any other contact list or calendar. Is that correct?
    08-09-2008 11:38 AM
    if you already have personal contacts on your iphone and you then proceed to add the exchange settings. it will delete the personal contacts and replace them with the exchange contacts during the initial setup. you can however disable contacts sync with exchange after the fact and then restore your personal contacts to the phone with no problem.
    07-16-2009 09:31 PM
    you can use exchange push contacts
    OR
    local contacts from a USB sync

your options are to:
    1. copy your contacts into exchange and sync only from exchange OTA
    2. NOT choose to sync exchange contacts when setting up your exchange account (it's an option) and sync only your personal contacts the same way you do now
    3. get mobileme for your personal contacts and sync both OTA
    07-17-2009 09:56 AM
    2. NOT choose to sync exchange contacts when setting up your exchange account (it's an option) and sync only your personal contacts the same way you do now
    If I do this (not sync Contacts with Exchange) will I be able to address e-mails on the Exchange server using the addresses on the Exchange server?

My work's Exchange server has a huge global address book that I don't want on my iPhone. However, I would like my Exchange emails and Calendar synced OTA and my personal contacts and calendar items synced at home via USB cable (with a different PIM).
    07-17-2009 10:17 AM
    I thought there was a way to have Phone contacts as well as exchange, but I'm using exchange and just looked now and I don't see anyway to add a contact to just my phone and not exchange so I guess not.
    07-17-2009 10:29 AM
    If I do this (not sync Contacts with Exchange) will I be able to address e-mails on the Exchange server using the addresses on the Exchange server?

My work's Exchange server has a huge global address book that I don't want on my iPhone. However, I would like my Exchange emails and Calendar synced OTA and my personal contacts and calendar items synced at home via USB cable (with a different PIM).
    You can do all of this
    07-17-2009 02:54 PM
    I thought there was a way to have Phone contacts as well as exchange, but I'm using exchange and just looked now and I don't see anyway to add a contact to just my phone and not exchange so I guess not.
    again-

your options are to:
    1. copy your contacts into exchange and sync only from exchange OTA
    3. get mobileme for your personal contacts and sync both OTA
    07-17-2009 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD