Push email with yahoo

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have noticed that over the last couple of days the push email with yahoo is not working well. If I check my email with my computer I may have new messages, but they are not appearing on the iPhone. When I check my email ok the iPhone it just says "connecting"...

Any one else notice this? It seemed to be working fine up until yesterday. Any suggestions?

Chris

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
How is your signal when you get the messages? If you don't have any signal then they don't get pushed. In which case, you have to manually fetch them.

If you do have signal, check your password and everything. It could also be a temporary issue with their servers.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
generally the signal is fine, or I am on wireless. It is just something I noticed over the past two days. Of course after I posters this my email was then visible.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
It might have been a problem with the servers. You can't expect 100% reliability with this stuff. Technology is commonly hyped as being perfect -- this cure-all -- when it's no different than anything else you buy. Post again if you keep having a problem.

...I give my Yahoo email out to websites that might spam me(it's my secondary email) and I've been getting my email fine. My father has SBC and he was experiencing a similar issue as you, but it was resolved a day or two ago. Just be aware of your signal and settings at the time you experience issues.

If everything is fine on your end, all you can do is wait for Yahoo to improve it on their end.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yahoo mail has a history of this on the iPhone. If you use Yahoo, be prepared to have it work one day and the next it may not. I used it until mobileme came around and the past few months it was ok. From time to time my emails would not show up right away. Hopefully it clears up for you.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info. It wouldn't be so bad if it also didn't mean that when I am trying to connect to the email, I didn't just get a continual "checking...." message at the bottom. It also happens with my IMAP email from work, so I wonder if it has something to do with the data network here? (Since it is difference servers, different passwords, etc)

gman1326

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
Normally my push email from yahoo takes a good while to actually arrive on my iphone, however this morning it seems to be working perfectly. I just registered for this forum and my iphone was notified about the incoming email to activate my forum account before yahoo messenger alerted me to the email. So I'm wondering is yahoo finally getting this to work properly, or am I just having good luck this morning.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if Yahoo's servers and such weren't ready for the massive onslaught of people now using Push and it took them awhile to catch up. There are a lot more people using their push service now that the iPhone has gained more mainstream popularity. Just a thought.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I wonder if Yahoo's servers and such weren't ready for the massive onslaught of people now using Push and it took them awhile to catch up. There are a lot more people using their push service now that the iPhone has gained more mainstream popularity. Just a thought.

Nope, it's just been hit or miss since the first launch of the original iPhone. Just a shady service. But can anyone really complain about it... it's free.

javatyger#IM

Aug 25, 2008
www.twitter.com
hey all. I'm a iPhone newbie and just though I'd contribute my two cents. I'm orginally a CrackBerry user(still am) so push email is something I'm used too. If any of you are former CrackBerry addicts, you'll know me from the sister site of the TiPB, CrackBerry.com forums.

The iPhone is very hit and miss with the pushing of yahoo and other email accounts. I work for a rogers dealer and get many corporate people asking my opinion between the Bold and the iPhone and which one they should get.
My main question: "how important is email to you?" determines my response. If they have to be connected to their office or emailing is very critical to them, I sell them the Bold.
I'm not in a situation where I must be connected to my email every time, so I can stand the little bit of lag in the Apple iPhone 'push' of my email, but there's a limit to what I'm willing to put up with.

A good example was this morning - I woke up at 8am and checked my iPhone for email: last update was at 11:26pm!! I hit refresh - nothing; it refused to to connect. I had to turn it off and back on again to get my emails - 7 new emails. Not cool. Apple needs to fix this and not market push email of it doesn't actually work. :-(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73