Push E-Mail

airjan23

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Hope someone can answer this question or point me to the right place as I have read several articles etc on this but can't get a straight answer.

I believe Yahoo has push e-mail for the IPhone but can't get a clear answer if GMail does. Using either Pop or IMAP, does GMail have push e-mail with the IPhone or regardless of the type, the shortest time for getting those e-mails is the 15 minute setting on the IPhone?

If GMail is not push, will the MobileMe, once it ever works, resolve this and does a separate Me account have to be set up with all the GMails forwarded there for real-time sending to the IPhone?

Thanks in advance for help on this as I am a Blackberry user debating on switching to the IPhone and this is one of the main concerns I have around switching.

schartzr

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I was kind of in the same boat I had a BB and came over to the phone. I also have a gmail account but Gmail doe not support push. What I did is I signed up with mail2web Live It is like having a enterprise Push account. All I did was forward all my gmail email to the new address ________@mail2web.com and then it pushes right to my phone. What I also like is I can access my contacts update them as well as my calender. it is a nice program and is free. If you have any questions please let me know thanks.

Ryan

airjan23

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. Can you still access all the e-mails on the GMail site or do you need to do it through mail2web live? Do the e-mails come through as if from GMail or from the alternate site? If responding, does it show as GMail or the mail2web live address?

schartzr

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes you can access your gmail account as well. You get 100MB on the web2mail site so you have to make sure you clean itout evey once in a while. Sadly it does reference your mail2 web email address let me see if it lets you change it and I will get back with you.

Nope sadly u cannot change it. Sorry

Last edited:

airjan23

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Yes you can access your gmail account as well. You get 100MB on the web2mail site so you have to make sure you clean itout evey once in a while. Sadly it does reference your mail2 web email address let me see if it lets you change it and I will get back with you.

Nope sadly u cannot change it. Sorry

Schartzr, thanks for the info. Anyone else have any other suggestions as a work around or way to get the push e-mails directly through GMail if Mobile Me is still not working right?

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I was kind of in the same boat I had a BB and came over to the phone. I also have a gmail account but Gmail doe not support push. What I did is I signed up with mail2web Live It is like having a enterprise Push account. All I did was forward all my gmail email to the new address ________@mail2web.com and then it pushes right to my phone. What I also like is I can access my contacts update them as well as my calender. it is a nice program and is free. If you have any questions please let me know thanks.

Ryan

How would this work with AOL mail?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
imap technology is not PUSH in the sense that we're used to... its Sync. Imap servers have a command called "idle" which allows your email client to be notified quickly of a new email. The problem with IDLE is when used on a mobile phone, it SUCKS battery life horribly.

so here comes PUSH, which is a technology i'm not exactly sure how the voodoo works, but essentially, your phone is not constantly polling the servers for new emails, instead the email server lets your phone know that it has a new email and sends it.

PUSH was a "hot" word a few years back, when there was some discussion amongst the Internet Explorer people of how you get your internet information, i believe in windows 98 PUSH was big since they had "Active Desktops" which included active channels (push). this was compared to "Pull" technology, which is normal browsing: You send out your request, and pull the information back at your convenience.

Gmail is a PULL service, even with IMAP, it does not support PUSH at this time, but oh, i WISH it would!

MobileMe is a PUSH service, it will update your iPhone when you receive a new email, nearly isntantly.

Mail2Web uses activesync, which is a PUSH technology.

Yahoo Mail is a PUSH Service.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox