"No Service" when using 3G

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I went the Apple store and here is what I have learned:

Apple is deathly afraid you are going to throw a fit (with a store packed full of potential customers I can see why.)

Honestly I did not plan on throwing a fit... nor did I. Here is what happened:

I walked in and said, "I would like to speak to someone about my iPhone that is not working as it should." The greeter handed me an orange shirt who asked me a few questions about how serious the problem was (wanted to make sure it wasn't the same glitches EVERYONE is experiencing). Once she determined that it was a "unique problem" she very casually said, "The Geniuses are currently booked... can you come back in a few days?" My response was that of shock.. not of anger.. as I have never used an Apple store before for customer service and planned on waiting awhile to get customer service.. but not a few days. I said very honestly (jaw dropped), "Are you serious? I live twenty-five minutes from here." And she immediately ran off and got her manager who whispered back and forth for awhile and pointed at me over and over... I am assuming to assess if I was going to blow up or something (perhaps they had an exploding customer recently) and she came over and said the Genius would see me now (very Wizard of Oz).
The Genius multitasked between myself and a really awesome guy who was having a ton of problems with his iPhone (he was in the middle of a long restore so I did not cut into his time... also, he made his Genius appointment over a week ago as he said they were booked until that day!). In the end, I have to drive back up there tomorrow because I did not have my box (they need it to replace my iPhone) and I have an appointment to swap out phones.

The lessons you can learn from my experience:

1. You must make an appointment to see the "Genius" (Apparently the only person in the store with tech information. I did not know that the Apple store operated this way. I have always walked into a electronics store or cell phone store and had someone able to help me... granted there could be a wait but I have never had to make an appointment.. you learn something new everyday.)

2. Apple fears the wrath of the 3G customer... so much so that they if the perceive the slightest bit of fury they run for the hills.. or give you want you want. (May just be that I came in after an outraged psychopath and they were walking on eggshells... or maybe they always operate this way... not sure.)

3. If you think you are going to have your iPhone exchanged because of a problem... save a trip.. bring your original box.. or else.

3.5. DON'T THROW OUT YOUR BOX

4. Apple will wipe your iPhone clean for you when you exchange your iPhone.

5. The Genius' sidekick stated that they can sometimes get the Invisible Shield off for you so you can use it again on your next phone... so, let the professionals do it was the advice given. (Super cool as they offered up that information at random.)

6. Since I had done a Restore before coming in to see the Genius they did not send me home and tell me to do it.. or like the poor guy next to me.. make him do a restore in the store. They plugged my iPhone in and saw that I did a Restore a few days ago and didn't make me do it again. The guy next to me who was having the restore done in-store will have to come back again and make another appointment if it does not fix his problems... then make another appointment to swap phones. Tip: Do a Restore before going to the store.. and bring your box.

I'll update this post tomorrow if anything exciting happens... or if I have any new "lessons."

In the mean time... "Hell hath no fury like an iPhone 3G user scorned." :p

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Forgot to mention that for the past two or three days my phone refuses to access the internet if I am in 3G or Edge... but will work if it is using WiFi. Also, will access my emails on 3G and Edge but.. again... refuses to use the rest of the internet unless I am on WiFi.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Forgot to mention that for the past two or three days my phone refuses to access the internet if I am in 3G or Edge... but will work if it is using WiFi. Also, will access my emails on 3G and Edge but.. again... refuses to use the rest of the internet unless I am on WiFi.

I've never seen a iPhone user with as much bad luck as you... seriously... :eek:

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I know... its sad but I am in a messed up relationship where I want to love the iPhone so bad but it does not want to love me. Ah well, this new one will love me or I will get all Of Mice and Men on its ass. :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I feel your pain. I really do. I almost bailed on my first iPhone after a series of trips to the Apple store. You're bound to get a 100% phone. Can't rain all the time... :)

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
My new iPhone still says "No Service" when I go from a EDGE to 3G area... BUT after a minute(?) or so(?) it will switch automatically to EDGE. I was thinking about using my new Flip Mino to make a video of me switching from EDGE to 3G... if I did it would go something like this:

Edge - Turn on 3G.... count to three... "NO SERVICE"
Turn off 3G... count to ten or eleven (yes.. it is now longer... strange)... Service
Turn on 3G... count to three... "NO SERVICE"
Turn off 3G... count to ten or eleven... Service

Guess I will have to keep sending in complaints through the Apple link hoping they will update this issue. (The guy at Apple stated this issue is very common. Most people drop calls when the phone switches from 3G to Edge and others not only drop calls but the phone never even switches to Edge). The only bad thing... Apple is probably smart enough to not post 2.1 until after the 30 day refund window is gone for most users so if it doesn't update this particular problem I am stuck with a phone that does this for two years.

Also, yesterday I got the random "Could not connect to the internet" problem again... but it went away after five minutes or so. Hmmm. Still the same problems.. but this time they correct themselves after a bit.

What do you think? Exchange the phone again? Wait for 2.1? I am OBSESSED with this phone... I just want to make sure it is a phone first (and not just a gadget I am overly obsessed with).

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My new iPhone still says "No Service" when I go from a EDGE to 3G area... BUT after a minute(?) or so(?) it will switch automatically to EDGE. I was thinking about using my new Flip Mino to make a video of me switching from EDGE to 3G... if I did it would go something like this:

Edge - Turn on 3G.... count to three... "NO SERVICE"
Turn off 3G... count to ten or eleven (yes.. it is now longer... strange)... Service
Turn on 3G... count to three... "NO SERVICE"
Turn off 3G... count to ten or eleven... Service

Guess I will have to keep sending in complaints through the Apple link hoping they will update this issue. (The guy at Apple stated this issue is very common. Most people drop calls when the phone switches from 3G to Edge and others not only drop calls but the phone never even switches to Edge). The only bad thing... Apple is probably smart enough to not post 2.1 until after the 30 day refund window is gone for most users so if it doesn't update this particular problem I am stuck with a phone that does this for two years.

Also, yesterday I got the random "Could not connect to the internet" problem again... but it went away after five minutes or so. Hmmm. Still the same problems.. but this time they correct themselves after a bit.

What do you think? Exchange the phone again? Wait for 2.1? I am OBSESSED with this phone... I just want to make sure it is a phone first (and not just a gadget I am overly obsessed with).

If you are switching 3g on and off manually that is perfectly normal for it to wait a few seconds while switching radios. *Mine does not go to no service but I do not have any bars for a few seconds while it is changing radios. And if it is switching automatically because of the coverage in your area that sounds more like a coverage issue. Not a phone issue.

No point to swapping out phones again... you WILL have the same issues. Do you know anyone else close by who has at&t? At this point I'm just throwing ideas out... but honestly I think it is your service, not the phone.

Last edited:

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Not the service as I have a family plan and have three phones in hand (the iPhone being one) while all this is happening. I have done many tests. Fingers crossed for 2.1!

biker74

Aug 1, 2008
Visit site
As you all know there is a monumental problem with the 3g iphone, looks like its the 3g chip, well, thats what everyone is hoping.

Anyway, Apple and the chip company (sorry, cant remember the name) are working on a fix for this issue and possibly may have it ready by the end of the month.

This may fix your problem

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I hope so.. in the mean time I have been keeping 3G on and not changing my call patterns... and essentially letting calls drop every time my phone switches from a 3G to a 2G area so I have a basis to return my phone if they make newer phones that do not have this problem. Unfortunately there are dozens of these places (I am quickly finding out)... if I know I am going to be making an extremely important call I just make sure I have 3G turned off. However, sometimes a fun call to a friend can turn serious unexpectedly (bad family news) and then I cut out. :(
"Call Failed"s are starting to get annoying too...
But I really love everything else about the iPhone... just not the phone.

Crim

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Problem SOLVED !

I just registered today to say the procedures to solve your issue as I solved mine.

1- Get your copper pen.
2- Close your iPhone.
3- Remove your Sim.
4- Open your iPhone.
5- Click Enter and wait for ( no sim ).
6- Enter the Sim again.
7- Wait for the signal.
8- Reboot your iPhone.
9- Enable 3G. VOILA!!

Thats how it worked with me, I had the same problem as the topic starter.. and it worked fine.. I hope it keeps working like that.

Megawatt Man

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Problem SOLVED !

G'day from the land down under. I have a different problem to those on this forum. I have a 3G model that came to the land of Oz from Hong Kong via e-bay. It had been jailbroken because it had been purchased initially by a spanish customer with a contract with a Spanish carrier, same deal as with ATT. But the carrier released it and all seemed to be well, until a new SIM was installed and the dreaded "no service" message appeared, along with insignificant wi-fi performance.. The normal software processes did nothing, so the tools came out. Concentrating on that part of the mobo that is concerned with the GSM antenna circuit, I have established that the earth connection to the metal frame via the copper colored springy bit is OK; the inductor is OK; there is continuity from the GSM contact pad through the inductor to the solder point almost beneath a socket looking device on the lower side of the mobo - and here it is that I am at a loss. The socket looking device appears to be very similar to the socket to which connector 6 is attached - but there is nothing beneath the mobo that looks as if it connects to this socket looking device. There is however a spring loaded copper looking pin beneath the mobo that contacts the antenna input pad on the mobo. I have no other 3G with which to compare. Do I have a part missing from beneath the mobo that should connect with the socket looking device? Thanks Megawatt Man - the name says it all - I am a retired electric power engineer - what am I doing playing about with 2.3 mm long #00 screws? Just trying to learn something new every day.
Edit post Hold the phone! Wi-fi is now OK - discovered that someone had tried to connect the flex on the wi-fi connector using a screw with smaller diameter that required. Correct screw gave gret results. Now for the GSM Hmmm

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro