What phone did you have before your iPhone?

ErikJeanna

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Samsung Blackjack (verson 1)

Had it for 2 years and still love it. I like the iPhone 3G so far, but I'm certainly missing some of the conveniences of my BJ.

dweidman

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Care to share these "limitations" that you feel a HTC Touch will clear up?

I am not him - but I will share my list:

* Voice Dialing (specifically Microsoft Voice Command).
* Today Screen (I have a jailbroken 3G - so I am using IntelliScreen - but still...)
* Copy and Paste (yeah - I know - harping - but it is a useful feature (for example - yesterday -had a friend send me a website to go to without the www on the front).

And maybe it is just my imagination - but I thought i had better 3G reception with the Tilt. Not sure though - could be my imagination.

-Daniel

Last edited:

dweidman

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
I am not him - but I will share my list:

-Daniel

Sorry - some more:

* Power Profiles (plugged in / not plugged in). Backlight and such are changeable based on profile.
* Sound Profiles - specifically a calendar based one (silent when in meeting - audible when out of meetings).
* Easy access to the filesystem.
* Tethering. WMWifiRouter was freaking awesome.
* Standard power plug (mini-usb). Why is ANYONE making a phone device these days without that standard?
* Music everywhere. I have 4 computers I am regularly attached to. And only one that I can put music on / take it off with (iTunes... what???). Much easier with a folder on the phone with mp3s and 'voila - music. On. Off. Easy.

-Daniel

Last edited:

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Why would the iPhone have a mini usb? I like it better that it is a universal plug between my iPod and iPhone. Apple does things different, remember that.

tizocman

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
The V

Blackberry 8830 World Edition on Verizon. So Far (1+ week later) I have not found many reasons to be sorry about choosing the iPhone. In fact, some people are quite envious of the iPhone, and may be purchasing one themselves.

i had the the verizon V predecessor to the enV

dweidman

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Why would the iPhone have a mini usb? I like it better that it is a universal plug between my iPod and iPhone.

Good question.

Every computer has a usb port on it. Most of us have mini-usb chargers (wall, computer, and car). You just need to go to ANY computer store to get a replacement cable. And there are a variety of headsets that use mini-usb to power as well.

Oh - and the BB and HTC devices all use mini-usb - pretty standard.

Apple does things different, remember that.

You say "different" - I say "worse" in this area.

Why should we be ok with "different" anyway? (by the way - I assume the weirdo apple connector is important for something - I just don't know what yet.) Power and syncing (file transfer) is easily handled with a nice 5 pin mini-usb -- so what are the other 25 pins in the 30 pin array used for?

By the way - I *really* like my iphone. I am just not so enamored with it to assume it is flawless.

More to the point though -- all of the above are things in my list are things that the HTC does and the iPhone doesn't.

-Daniel

Last edited:

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I see what you are saying but as I said before, apple has their own way of doing things. Apple makes it so if you need something for one of their products then you have to buy through them, unless it's a case/or addon product, but otherwise apple likes to keep their products personal. I know it sucks but that's how it is and how it probably always will be. I also do not believe the iPhone is flawless, I just like the way apple has everything set up.

Last edited:

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
-Sprint PPC 6600
-Sprint PPC 6700 (Apache) - a fun phone to mod (ROM Kitchens anyone???)
-Sprint PPC 6800 (Mogul) - no2chem ROMS were 100 times better than anyone elses, including M$FT
-iPhone 3G (Goodbye Sprint...)

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
I had a Motorola A1000 Smart Phone. It was a GREAT phone and VERY STABLE. I moved on after 3 years. It had TONS of useful software. What attracted me to the iPhone was 3G, GPS, WiFi and tons of software (oh and of course price).

So far, I am ok with the iPhone. I am still waiting on consistent 3G service, more stability and updates to the Op system for features like support for stereo Bluetooth, cut/paste and other features.

Thanks

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Why would the iPhone have a mini usb? I like it better that it is a universal plug between my iPod and iPhone. Apple does things different, remember that.

Apple does things different from most other vendors but all too much like Palm.

Apple devices do not use standard adapters like mini-usb, for the same reason that Palm does not. So they can keep the nominal price low while inflating the system price.

You like that the iPod and iPhone have the same adapter? Except, of course, they do not. Even the iPhone and the iPhone 3G do not. My iPhone complained when I tried to use it with cables for my iPod and my 3G will not work with cables from my iPhone. All of this is about selling proprietary accessories.

At least Palm changed from one non-standard cable to another when it changed phones so that one would not get confused. Apple cables all look the same but do not work the same. That is what all those extra pins are for.

To the extent that Apple acts like Palm, I do not like either of them. If Apple takes any other lessons from Palm, it had best be careful that it does not end up like Palm. Palm failed not because it had shoddy products, but because it had shoddy business practices.

Last edited:

antoniozaz

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Palm Treo 750v

I was a palm user for a long time. but since Palm abandoned the Mac upgrades for Palm desktop i have been itching to get rid of the phone. The Iphone is an answer to all my needs...

Too bad the battery power sucks.....still love the phone

csims9158#IM

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Treo 700wx and it was good..but the iPhone is great. I do miss Pocket Informant and I'm waiting for full ewallet with sync, but everything else about the iphone ROCKS. I have no regrets.

Check out the website for Pocket Informant. They are working on a version for the iphone and you can sign up to be notified whenever they have any news about the beta.

As far as the phones I have used (in order from latest to oldest):
Blackberry Curve 8310 (Good for email but I missed the touch screen)
at&t 8525 (I loved this device but changed jobs and they were a blackberry shop. If you know the quirks of WM and are willing to invest in 3rd party apps it really is a great OS)
Dell Axim and Motorola SLVR (The axim was a great device. Too bad Dell stepped out of that market.)

I have been a bit disappointed with the reception on the iPhone 3G as well as the inherent crashes but I knew I was bleeding edge with this device so it is what it is. Hopefully Apple/at&t can figure out what is going on. The battery life is also far worse than the 8525, which I did not think was all that great to begin with. Get many additional chargers (for home, work, car, etc.) or you will be without the device when you need it. There are also many devices available that you can use to extend the battery life which I won't go into. You can check out JKontherun for a review of one of the devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2