What phone did you have before your iPhone?

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Wow, I am a 1 Week 3g owner and I am going back to Treo I think. I love the interface but for people who use Smartphones as Smartphones will quickly tire of 3G's limitations. This is a rough decision for me but I am thinking of returning iphone and getting a Touch. I can't believe the number of limitations that the iphone has that I encounter several times a day.

Jeffois

May 4, 2007
Visit site
Wow, I am a 1 Week 3g owner and I am going back to Treo I think. I love the interface but for people who use Smartphones as Smartphones will quickly tire of 3G's limitations. This is a rough decision for me but I am thinking of returning iphone and getting a Touch. I can't believe the number of limitations that the iphone has that I encounter several times a day.

I posted something along the lines of what I'm going to say here in the TreoCentral forums...

For me, as a very recent Treo user, I find that the things at which the Treo excels are the things that I need the least, and the things at which the iPhone excels are the things I find most useful for my particular needs.

But obviously, this is a YMMV situation.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Treo 700p and I couldn't wait to be rid of it.

Two years of that horrid device completely soured me on Palm (yes, lack of new OS, etc helped) and I've gone from evangelizing the Treo (I was responsible for many friends getting Treos) to championing the iPhone (5 people in my company have decided to buy one after I showed them the 3G and how easily I hooked it to our Exchange server).

I'd rather take my chances with a company who actually releases updates and develops their platform.

</end rant>

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Care to share these "limitations" that you feel a HTC Touch will clear up?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I posted this on the Treo Central forums, but I figured it is relevant to this thread as well.

I had a Treo 680, and now I have an iPhone 3G.

The Treo 680 was my first smartphone. I migrated from a Zire 72 to the Treo, and used it as a combination device (PDA/Phone). The datebook, contacts, memos (and voice memos), and to do list were great on the Treo. I loved the keyboard on it, and the third party software. I would also check my email.

That said, I never used the Treo for mp3's or surfing the internet. Webpages didn't show up well on Blazer, and the connection was too slow to "really" surf the web. For MP3's, it was too much of a hassle to choose which songs to put on a memory card (since I only had up to 4GB memory card). I would much prefer to have my full library of songs to choose from at any given time. Video was okay, nothing great (certainly not any streaming or internet based video).

And of course the third party programs are what had kept me with Palm. If the Treo didn't do it, someone wrote some software to do it.

Now I have an iPhone. The date book is functional, without as many bells and whistles at the Treo one. You can have appointments, recurring appointments, with reminders and alarms. That's all I use on the date book. The contacts is pretty much the same. Memos are okay, but as someone said, they don't sync. Missing a to do list was key, but there is free software to do it on the iPhone now. They keypad takes some getting used to, and I doubt I will ever be as fast as I was on the Treo, but the speed of typing is certainly acceptable. Email is much better - you actually feel like you ar reading the email on your computer (not something that was cut and pasted into a .txt document). Internet is incredible - it is fast, and it feels like the "real internet" as the commercial says. And, since I have a 16 GB model, I can have my entire CD collection on there as well. And with the App store, hopefully there will be a lot of 3rd party solutions to things that are missing.

In my opinion, the Treo was a PDA/smartphone that also included some internet and multimedia fuctions. The iPhone is a multimedia/smartphone that also includes some PDA functions. Either device will do most of what the other will, but depending on your needs, you can choose the device that is best for you. If you MOSTLY want a PDA type phone, for the organization and PDA functions, but you still want some multimedia and internet, go with a Treo. If you MOSTLY want a multimedia/internet type phone, but you still want some of the PDA type functions, go with an iPhone.

Is the iPhone a better organization tool than the Treo? No, the Treo was better IMO. But will the iPhone still do most of what the Treo did - yes, just not as well. Is the Treo a better multimedia/internet tool than the iPhone? No, the iPhone is better. But will the Treo still do most of what the iPhone does - yes, just not as well.

And one other thing, the iPhone is a better gaming device that the Treo as well.

One thing to consider with 3rd party applications is that Palm applications have been around for YEARS. The iPhone has only been around for a year. in another year, imagine what the iPhone applications will be like!!

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
My phones from earliest to most recent:
--Startac
--Samsung flip phone (the really tiny one) on Verizon
--LG flip phone (with the speakers on two sides) on Verizon
--LG vx6800 on Verizon
--LG Chocolate on Verizon
--Samsung Sch-u750 (aka "Alias") on Verizon
--BlackBerry Pearl on Verizon
--BlackBerry Curve on T-Mobile
--iPhone 3G

My top three phones from the ones I've owned:
1.) iPhone 3G (I'm an Apple fanboy....it was inevitable that I'd get this phone)
2.) BlackBerry Curve (wonderful device)
3.) LG Flip Phone with the speakers on the sides (because the audio quality was great)

If the iPhone didn't exist and BlackBerry had a better option of syncing with Macs, I wouldn't have any problem using a BB. However, the iPhone is the best phone device I've owned.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Was iphone 3g a good choice?
I had an iPhone. The 3G is OK. However, it is not as physically handsome as the old iPhone or the iPod Touch and does not have comfortable battery life.

I also have a Treo 650 which I now use only for TomTom Navigation. I am hoping for a GPS application to replace it but am OK in the interim.

I also bought a Treo 680 to replace my 650. It was so unsatisfactory that I never used it. Gave it to my nephew; he never used it either. Gave him my old iPhone which we both love.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Treo 650
700p
700W
PPC 6700
6800 {Mogul}
6900 {Touch}
iPhone
3g

I thought we where just doing one phone?

Ok here we go:
Treo 180
Treo 180g
Treo 270
Handspring Visorphone
Treo 600
treo 650
Nokia E61
Nokia E61i
HP 6915
Treo 680
Palm Centro
Treo 750
Nokia E71
Nokia n95
iPhone 8GB
iPhone 3G 16GB

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Wow smileyboy I think they have groups for cell phone addicts.jk
T600 still waiting for wifi for that model as palm promised.
T680
did not think i would like the iphone keyboard, but after a few days it is so much easier to use than the T680

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I thought we where just doing one phone?

Ok here we go:
Treo 180
Treo 180g
Treo 270
Handspring Visorphone
Treo 600
treo 650
Nokia E61
Nokia E61i
HP 6915
Treo 680
Palm Centro
Treo 750
Nokia E71
Nokia n95
iPhone 8GB
iPhone 3G 16GB

Cannot top your list, did not have all those WM phones, but I did have a Palm Vx with an Omnisky sled before I got the Treo 180.

mweglarz0

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
2 phones so far...(only 17 by the way)

1) some piece of crap free phone from when AT&T used to be Cingular
2) Motorola SLVR which I just finally got rid of today

wcarr3

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Treo 270
Treo 600
Treo 680

Loved my Treos, but I love the i-Phone better at this time. Kinda miss the keyboard on the Treo, but I'm definitely getting use to the i-Phone's keyboard. Battery life is the only thing that bugs me about the i-Phone, but every thing else is a pleasure to use. I think it will only get better once the bugs are all worked out. No device that I've had was perfect from the offset. I remember how everyone was screaming when the Treo had it's initial problems as well. I think the i-Phone will only get better. :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2