What phone did you have before your iPhone?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I had a Moto SLVR. It was pretty good, didn't have many features but it was really small and looked cool. Now i got the iPhone 3g and it does stuff and looks cool :)

dweidman

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
* Voice Dialing (specifically Microsoft Voice Command).
* Today Screen (I have a jailbroken 3G - so I am using IntelliScreen - but still...)
* Copy and Paste (yeah - I know - harping - but it is a useful feature (for example - yesterday -had a friend send me a website to go to without the www on the front).
* Power Profiles (plugged in / not plugged in). Backlight and such are changeable based on profile.
* Sound Profiles - specifically a calendar based one (silent when in meeting - audible when out of meetings).
* Easy access to the filesystem.
* Tethering. WMWifiRouter was freaking awesome.
* Standard power plug (mini-usb). Why is ANYONE making a phone device these days without that standard?
* Music everywhere. I have 4 computers I am regularly attached to. And only one that I can put music on / take it off with (iTunes... what???). Much easier with a folder on the phone with mp3s and 'voila - music. On. Off. Easy.

-Daniel

By the way - if anyone knows of any solutions to the above - I am all ears.

I know of the tethering (kinda) capabilities - but I would rather have something neat and direct like WMWiFiRouter.

Maybe this is a separate thread in the making?

:)

-Daniel

penpro

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
What phone?

I used to have a Nokia N95 before my iPhone. Much happier now because iPhone is simply more fun. I own a 2G, but I don't miss the GPS capability of the N95 at all.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't really consider the gps on the iphone much of a feature. It's more of a location option for apps. Then again, i wouldn't use its gps even if it was a full app.

I am getting tired of the lagginess though and resets. Reminds me very much of my old palm 600. Glad to see apple working on updates though.

BTW..my prior phone was palm os treos with the centro being the last. The fact that apple copied much from palm is what makes the iphone appealing to me.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Most recent was a Samsung A900

Eight cell phones since 1992 and not one of them a was smartphone. Sorry, I don't do Windows.

Well, I admit to doing "Windows." However, since Palm abandoned Palm OS in favor of Windows mobile, along with millions of others, I have abandoned Palm. After more than a year on iPhone, I no longer miss my Palm and cannot imagine what they might do to get me back.

Apple did not destroy Palm but they are putting the last nail in the coffin. Palm did not need Apple's help. However, Apple has achieved in a little more than a year what it took Palm a decade to do. I do not think that Palm can survive on WM; just to stay in business, it will have to leapfrog the iPhone.

I admit that I still use my Treo 650 to run TomTom but I will smash it with a hammer when I get TomTom on the iPhone. Are you listening Apple?

aureatenova

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
I had a palm centro. I've wanted an iphone since they first came out, but didn't have the money (or wasn't able to upgrade)

Thanks to a buddy at work, I now have one (2g, and for only $100!)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I had a palm centro. I've wanted an iphone since they first came out, but didn't have the money (or wasn't able to upgrade)

Thanks to a buddy at work, I now have one (2g, and for only $100!)

2G is a great value. 3G speed and GPS are useful but not necessary.

2G phone is worth a lot more now that AT&T offers WiFi AND the Easy WiFi app.
My ISP offers pretty good WiFi coverage, much easier to use than the AT&T, so I never used AT&T WiFi. The app makes the AT&T WiFi so easy that I now prefer it.

aureatenova

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
2G is a great value. 3G speed and GPS are useful but not necessary.

2G phone is worth a lot more now that AT&T offers WiFi AND the Easy WiFi app.
My ISP offers pretty good WiFi coverage, much easier to use than the AT&T, so I never used AT&T WiFi. The app makes the AT&T WiFi so easy that I now prefer it.

Its got a few dents and scrapes on the upper corners, and the bottom black piece will not stay on to save my life (right now I have some scotch tape and a cheapo mall kiosk bought case holding it on haha) but its been working just fine. I had a few free third party apps "freeze" on me the other day but from what i've been reading, that can happen to anybody with third party apps.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Its got a few dents and scrapes on the upper corners, and the bottom black piece will not stay on to save my life (right now I have some scotch tape and a cheapo mall kiosk bought case holding it on haha) but its been working just fine. I had a few free third party apps "freeze" on me the other day but from what i've been reading, that can happen to anybody with third party apps.

I still miss mine.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Sony Ericson something-or-other (verrrrry basic phone), then Treo 750 (I liked it, but after playing with the iPhone for 2 minutes in the AT&T store I was over it completely). Now I have the iPhone, & am very pleased with it still. My only gripe is that I wish it had more storage capacity; I have the 8 GB version of the first gen iPhone & I constantly have to trade off between having a huge amount of music or a bunch of neat apps or a couple of good movies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice Valentine's Day present from Apple in the form of a 32 GB version of the device.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Sony Ericson something-or-other (verrrrry basic phone), then Treo 750 (I liked it, but after playing with the iPhone for 2 minutes in the AT&T store I was over it completely). Now I have the iPhone, & am very pleased with it still. My only gripe is that I wish it had more storage capacity; I have the 8 GB version of the first gen iPhone & I constantly have to trade off between having a huge amount of music or a bunch of neat apps or a couple of good movies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice Valentine's Day present from Apple in the form of a 32 GB version of the device.
"Data expands to fill the storage available." I would really like an SD card slot. I have the 16G model and get by. It would be nice to have an application program to assist in managing data and storage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro