I had the Sprint 6700 (HTC). Was a great internet device but a terrible phone!
    09-02-2008 06:41 PM
    i had a blackjack 2 and then switched to the iphone 3g
    09-02-2008 06:53 PM
    -Sprint PPC 6600
    -Sprint PPC 6700 (Apache) - a fun phone to mod (ROM Kitchens anyone???)
    -Sprint PPC 6800 (Mogul) - no2chem ROMS were 100 times better than anyone elses, including M$FT
    -iPhone 3G (Goodbye Sprint...)
    09-02-2008 07:35 PM
    I had a Motorola A1000 Smart Phone. It was a GREAT phone and VERY STABLE. I moved on after 3 years. It had TONS of useful software. What attracted me to the iPhone was 3G, GPS, WiFi and tons of software (oh and of course price).

So far, I am ok with the iPhone. I am still waiting on consistent 3G service, more stability and updates to the Op system for features like support for stereo Bluetooth, cut/paste and other features.

Thanks
    09-02-2008 09:59 PM
    treo 680, 750, iphone1g, blackjack 1 upgraded to 6.1, now 3g.

I'm back unless palm does something extraordinary.
    09-02-2008 11:25 PM
    Why would the iPhone have a mini usb? I like it better that it is a universal plug between my iPod and iPhone. Apple does things different, remember that.
    Apple does things different from most other vendors but all too much like Palm.

Apple devices do not use standard adapters like mini-usb, for the same reason that Palm does not. So they can keep the nominal price low while inflating the system price.

You like that the iPod and iPhone have the same adapter? Except, of course, they do not. Even the iPhone and the iPhone 3G do not. My iPhone complained when I tried to use it with cables for my iPod and my 3G will not work with cables from my iPhone. All of this is about selling proprietary accessories.

At least Palm changed from one non-standard cable to another when it changed phones so that one would not get confused. Apple cables all look the same but do not work the same. That is what all those extra pins are for.

To the extent that Apple acts like Palm, I do not like either of them. If Apple takes any other lessons from Palm, it had best be careful that it does not end up like Palm. Palm failed not because it had shoddy products, but because it had shoddy business practices.
    Last edited by whmurray; 09-03-2008 at 12:29 AM.
    09-03-2008 12:22 AM
    I was a palm user for a long time. but since Palm abandoned the Mac upgrades for Palm desktop i have been itching to get rid of the phone. The Iphone is an answer to all my needs...

Too bad the battery power sucks.....still love the phone
    09-03-2008 05:37 AM
    Actually , my iPod adapter does work with my iPhone, maybe because it is the touch, but it works.
    09-03-2008 08:50 AM
    Treo 700wx and it was good..but the iPhone is great. I do miss Pocket Informant and I'm waiting for full ewallet with sync, but everything else about the iphone ROCKS. I have no regrets.
    Check out the website for Pocket Informant. They are working on a version for the iphone and you can sign up to be notified whenever they have any news about the beta.

As far as the phones I have used (in order from latest to oldest):
    Blackberry Curve 8310 (Good for email but I missed the touch screen)
    at&t 8525 (I loved this device but changed jobs and they were a blackberry shop. If you know the quirks of WM and are willing to invest in 3rd party apps it really is a great OS)
    Dell Axim and Motorola SLVR (The axim was a great device. Too bad Dell stepped out of that market.)

I have been a bit disappointed with the reception on the iPhone 3G as well as the inherent crashes but I knew I was bleeding edge with this device so it is what it is. Hopefully Apple/at&t can figure out what is going on. The battery life is also far worse than the 8525, which I did not think was all that great to begin with. Get many additional chargers (for home, work, car, etc.) or you will be without the device when you need it. There are also many devices available that you can use to extend the battery life which I won't go into. You can check out JKontherun for a review of one of the devices.
    09-03-2008 09:57 AM
    Nokia e62, obliterated by my iPhone 3G.
    09-03-2008 04:52 PM
    I had a Moto SLVR. It was pretty good, didn't have many features but it was really small and looked cool. Now i got the iPhone 3g and it does stuff and looks cool
    09-03-2008 05:20 PM
    * Voice Dialing (specifically Microsoft Voice Command).
    * Today Screen (I have a jailbroken 3G - so I am using IntelliScreen - but still...)
    * Copy and Paste (yeah - I know - harping - but it is a useful feature (for example - yesterday -had a friend send me a website to go to without the www on the front).
    * Power Profiles (plugged in / not plugged in). Backlight and such are changeable based on profile.
    * Sound Profiles - specifically a calendar based one (silent when in meeting - audible when out of meetings).
    * Easy access to the filesystem.
    * Tethering. WMWifiRouter was freaking awesome.
    * Standard power plug (mini-usb). Why is ANYONE making a phone device these days without that standard?
    * Music everywhere. I have 4 computers I am regularly attached to. And only one that I can put music on / take it off with (iTunes... what???). Much easier with a folder on the phone with mp3s and 'voila - music. On. Off. Easy.

-Daniel
    By the way - if anyone knows of any solutions to the above - I am all ears.

I know of the tethering (kinda) capabilities - but I would rather have something neat and direct like WMWiFiRouter.

Maybe this is a separate thread in the making?

-Daniel
    09-04-2008 02:59 PM
    Mine is Nokia N73
    09-05-2008 06:47 AM
    I used to have a Nokia N95 before my iPhone. Much happier now because iPhone is simply more fun. I own a 2G, but I don't miss the GPS capability of the N95 at all.
    09-05-2008 08:09 AM
    I used Nokia 6230i for 4 years. iPhone 3G so powerful but comparing with my previous phone...maybe iphone 3G slower~~
    09-05-2008 10:40 AM
    I have no speed issues with my 3G, I actually think it is faster than my Curve 8330.
    09-05-2008 02:25 PM
    I don't really consider the gps on the iphone much of a feature. It's more of a location option for apps. Then again, i wouldn't use its gps even if it was a full app.

I am getting tired of the lagginess though and resets. Reminds me very much of my old palm 600. Glad to see apple working on updates though.

BTW..my prior phone was palm os treos with the centro being the last. The fact that apple copied much from palm is what makes the iphone appealing to me.
    09-05-2008 04:40 PM
    Treo's 700W and then WX
    Sammy i760
    12-07-2008 12:23 AM
    Most recent was a Samsung A900

Eight cell phones since 1992 and not one of them a was smartphone. Sorry, I don't do Windows.
    12-07-2008 12:40 PM
    Most recent was a Samsung A900

Eight cell phones since 1992 and not one of them a was smartphone. Sorry, I don't do Windows.
    Well, I admit to doing "Windows." However, since Palm abandoned Palm OS in favor of Windows mobile, along with millions of others, I have abandoned Palm. After more than a year on iPhone, I no longer miss my Palm and cannot imagine what they might do to get me back.

Apple did not destroy Palm but they are putting the last nail in the coffin. Palm did not need Apple's help. However, Apple has achieved in a little more than a year what it took Palm a decade to do. I do not think that Palm can survive on WM; just to stay in business, it will have to leapfrog the iPhone.

I admit that I still use my Treo 650 to run TomTom but I will smash it with a hammer when I get TomTom on the iPhone. Are you listening Apple?
    12-08-2008 01:21 PM
    I had a palm centro. I've wanted an iphone since they first came out, but didn't have the money (or wasn't able to upgrade)

Thanks to a buddy at work, I now have one (2g, and for only $100!)
    12-09-2008 12:03 PM
    I had a palm centro. I've wanted an iphone since they first came out, but didn't have the money (or wasn't able to upgrade)

Thanks to a buddy at work, I now have one (2g, and for only $100!)
    2G is a great value. 3G speed and GPS are useful but not necessary.

2G phone is worth a lot more now that AT&T offers WiFi AND the Easy WiFi app.
    My ISP offers pretty good WiFi coverage, much easier to use than the AT&T, so I never used AT&T WiFi. The app makes the AT&T WiFi so easy that I now prefer it.
    12-10-2008 03:33 PM
    2G is a great value. 3G speed and GPS are useful but not necessary.

2G phone is worth a lot more now that AT&T offers WiFi AND the Easy WiFi app.
    My ISP offers pretty good WiFi coverage, much easier to use than the AT&T, so I never used AT&T WiFi. The app makes the AT&T WiFi so easy that I now prefer it.
    Its got a few dents and scrapes on the upper corners, and the bottom black piece will not stay on to save my life (right now I have some scotch tape and a cheapo mall kiosk bought case holding it on haha) but its been working just fine. I had a few free third party apps "freeze" on me the other day but from what i've been reading, that can happen to anybody with third party apps.
    12-10-2008 05:44 PM
    Its got a few dents and scrapes on the upper corners, and the bottom black piece will not stay on to save my life (right now I have some scotch tape and a cheapo mall kiosk bought case holding it on haha) but its been working just fine. I had a few free third party apps "freeze" on me the other day but from what i've been reading, that can happen to anybody with third party apps.
    I still miss mine.
    12-10-2008 07:09 PM
    Sony Ericson something-or-other (verrrrry basic phone), then Treo 750 (I liked it, but after playing with the iPhone for 2 minutes in the AT&T store I was over it completely). Now I have the iPhone, & am very pleased with it still. My only gripe is that I wish it had more storage capacity; I have the 8 GB version of the first gen iPhone & I constantly have to trade off between having a huge amount of music or a bunch of neat apps or a couple of good movies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice Valentine's Day present from Apple in the form of a 32 GB version of the device.
    Last edited by Microcosmos; 12-10-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    12-10-2008 11:10 PM
988 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD