I seem to remember reading somewhere, but I have misplaced the article about people having problems (like myself) with the iPhone taking a very long time to backup the phone everytime I sync.

Are others having problems?

Can anyone point me to some solutions?
    07-16-2008 09:18 AM
    I can atleast say, I'm having the same problem.
    07-16-2008 09:26 AM
    I think this is a issue that will only go away if Apple fixes the 2.0 firmware. Both my original iPhone (Since updated to 2.0) and the 3g do take a lot longer to sync. Although it is not that bad. The only time it really crawls is when you are installing apps.
    07-16-2008 10:37 AM
    It only does this for me when I purchase apps from my phone. What it does is back-up every game and not just the ones you've downloaded. Just make sure you purchase games from your computer and all will be well and good.
    07-16-2008 11:07 AM
    I'm experiencing the same behavior - I'd love an option to indicate whether I want the phone to perform a backup or not. Between the long sync/backup time and the MDCrashReportTool quit issues, I'm ready for an update.
    07-16-2008 11:55 AM
    It only takes a long time to backup if you install apps directly from the App Store to the iPhone. If you do a normal sync with no app changes, the backup is far quicker.

In other words, I don't think it is a problem or bug.
    07-16-2008 04:30 PM
    I just cancel and the sync continues.
    07-16-2008 04:40 PM
    I seem to remember reading somewhere, but I have misplaced the article about people having problems (like myself) with the iPhone taking a very long time to backup the phone everytime I sync.

Are others having problems?

Can anyone point me to some solutions?
    I've never had that problem. I'm having problems with Safari crashing a lot. Also the Apps freezing up.
    07-16-2008 08:30 PM
    I guess I'm lucky. I have only had one app crash on me.

I still stand by what I said about the long backups not being a bug though. I tested it with 4 backups today. For the first, I installed a new app directly to the phone and it took a long time. I then did two more syncs and the backup went twice as fast. Finally, I installed one more app and synced again, and it took longer.

I would bet that the long backups are directly related to apps.
    07-16-2008 11:45 PM
    I guess I'm lucky. I have only had one app crash on me.

I still stand by what I said about the long backups not being a bug though. I tested it with 4 backups today. For the first, I installed a new app directly to the phone and it took a long time. I then did two more syncs and the backup went twice as fast. Finally, I installed one more app and synced again, and it took longer.

I would bet that the long backups are directly related to apps.
    Yep, i too find the above to be true.
    07-17-2008 12:28 AM
    The long backups are driving me crazy, especially since I use my computer to charge my iPhone and every time I plug it in (which is often because of the dismal battery life I'm getting) it wants to do a full backup which can take well over half an hour. My wife's iPhone was still backing up this morning after we plugged it in last night before going to bed.
    07-17-2008 01:15 AM
    The long backups are driving me crazy, especially since I use my computer to charge my iPhone and every time I plug it in (which is often because of the dismal battery life I'm getting) it wants to do a full backup which can take well over half an hour. My wife's iPhone was still backing up this morning after we plugged it in last night before going to bed.
    Ouch, something is not right there. I'd consider doing a full restore from scratch and not a back up. I did that and the issues I had with long sync times went away.
    07-17-2008 01:17 AM
    Ouch, something is not right there. I'd consider doing a full restore from scratch and not a back up. I did that and the issues I had with long sync times went away.
    Anyone else try this and successfully solve the long backup issue?
    07-25-2008 12:34 PM
    Mine has gotten better without any intervention. I'm not buying many apps anymore, so I think that was the problem.
    07-25-2008 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD