Very long backup times during every sync

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I seem to remember reading somewhere, but I have misplaced the article about people having problems (like myself) with the iPhone taking a very long time to backup the phone everytime I sync.

Are others having problems?

Can anyone point me to some solutions?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I think this is a issue that will only go away if Apple fixes the 2.0 firmware. Both my original iPhone (Since updated to 2.0) and the 3g do take a lot longer to sync. Although it is not that bad. The only time it really crawls is when you are installing apps.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
It only does this for me when I purchase apps from my phone. What it does is back-up every game and not just the ones you've downloaded. Just make sure you purchase games from your computer and all will be well and good.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same behavior - I'd love an option to indicate whether I want the phone to perform a backup or not. Between the long sync/backup time and the MDCrashReportTool quit issues, I'm ready for an update.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
It only takes a long time to backup if you install apps directly from the App Store to the iPhone. If you do a normal sync with no app changes, the backup is far quicker.

In other words, I don't think it is a problem or bug.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I seem to remember reading somewhere, but I have misplaced the article about people having problems (like myself) with the iPhone taking a very long time to backup the phone everytime I sync.

Are others having problems?

Can anyone point me to some solutions?

I've never had that problem. I'm having problems with Safari crashing a lot. Also the Apps freezing up.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky. I have only had one app crash on me.

I still stand by what I said about the long backups not being a bug though. I tested it with 4 backups today. For the first, I installed a new app directly to the phone and it took a long time. I then did two more syncs and the backup went twice as fast. Finally, I installed one more app and synced again, and it took longer.

I would bet that the long backups are directly related to apps.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky. I have only had one app crash on me.

I still stand by what I said about the long backups not being a bug though. I tested it with 4 backups today. For the first, I installed a new app directly to the phone and it took a long time. I then did two more syncs and the backup went twice as fast. Finally, I installed one more app and synced again, and it took longer.

I would bet that the long backups are directly related to apps.

Yep, i too find the above to be true.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
The long backups are driving me crazy, especially since I use my computer to charge my iPhone and every time I plug it in (which is often because of the dismal battery life I'm getting) it wants to do a full backup which can take well over half an hour. My wife's iPhone was still backing up this morning after we plugged it in last night before going to bed.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The long backups are driving me crazy, especially since I use my computer to charge my iPhone and every time I plug it in (which is often because of the dismal battery life I'm getting) it wants to do a full backup which can take well over half an hour. My wife's iPhone was still backing up this morning after we plugged it in last night before going to bed.

Ouch, something is not right there. I'd consider doing a full restore from scratch and not a back up. I did that and the issues I had with long sync times went away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner