help me choose iphone 2g or 3g?

T-ulk

Apr 21, 2005
Visit site
so i am looking to buy one cuz my treo is nearing the end of his life...i had played with iphone 2g and i liked it but missed all apps i use on my treo but now the apps are here i guess more and more devs will come up with their iphone ver in near future...
i m a current att user on family plan and in the middle of my contract so afaik i can't get the 199 price...so for 8gb i will pay 399...i also receive 22% FAN discount...i was looking on ebay for used 2g's but decent one's still goes for 350 or above...so my ques is what do u guys suggest for getting iphone 2g or 3g?? also will i be able to keep my discount or loose it? also getting a 3g will change my whole contract or it will just affect the primary line..meaning extra $30 on primary line??

thanx for suggestions...

Meh_whatever

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I guess it depends on whether you care about GPS and 3G speed. Oh... and spending 30 bucks a month (not including the 5 extra you'd spend for 200 text messages per month) vs. spending 20 bucks a month for data plus 200 text messages (price of the original iPhone data plan).

Also, I lost my corporate discount when I bought my first gen iPhone last June.

You may well lose yours.

And the cost of data affects only the iPhone(s) on your family plan, not all phones.

Hope that helps.

T-ulk

Apr 21, 2005
Visit site
I guess it depends on whether you care about GPS and 3G speed. Oh... and spending 30 bucks a month (not including the 5 extra you'd spend for 200 text messages per month) vs. spending 20 bucks a month for data plus 200 text messages (price of the original iPhone data plan).

Also, I lost my corporate discount when I bought my first gen iPhone last June.

You may well lose yours.

And the cost of data affects only the iPhone(s) on your family plan, not all phones.

Hope that helps.

thanx...
i thot after getting exchange on 2.0 iphone will be eligible for the discount!! also unless they offer any real voice guided gps solution, gps is useless...i am just undecided 'cuz cost of old iphone on ebay is almost same as new iphone 3g (8gb model) for me...

Meh_whatever

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
For what it is worth, if you only need a basic idea of where you are, the Google maps app on the 2G iPhone tells you that, using info from nearby cell towers. It can be off a little, but not terribly. So I wouldn't try to navigate my way through the woods with it, or a complex city, but if you're on the highway and wanna know how far to the next town without breaking out a calculator, it'll do that for you.

:)

I haven't checked with AT&T yet to see if (now that they are offering iPhones at contract price discounts) they will give me BACK my damned discount. :D

I figure they will, eventually. Maybe then I'll consider an upgrade. Or not. I kinda like my old iPhone.

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
FYI I opened a new account with At&t on iPhone launch day and gave them my Penn State email address. I got the 10% discount on my service, so you definitely do get the discount with them with the iPhone, atleast the new one. So I would call and try to get it reinstated ASAP.

emceechad

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I was in the same boat, and I finally decided on getting an iPhone 2G that should be in the mail sometime this week, for reasons such as the premium $30 plan without the text messages and the not-needed things like GPS which maps does well enough already. Frankly, when i tried EDGE out the first time at an AT&T store, it worked just enough for me. And that's all I need...

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Not to sway you one way or another... but chances are that the phone you used in the store was hooked up to WiFi (every AT&T or Apple store I have been to has their demo phones hooked up to WiFi which makes the speeds MUCH quicker).
Just thought I would point that out in case you got your 2G and were disappointed with the speeds. Edge does work at a decent speed for webpages built for mobile devices but for everyday webpages I am finding it too slow (I haven't had dial up in over 7 years... I forgot my how patient you have to be).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234