I went in yesterday (to AT&T) at 1pm thinking they were going to have iPhones left but I was wrong lol. So today its 7:11 am now and the earliest I can get to the AT&T store is at 9 am (they open at 10 am). Should I bother going or just wait?
    07-12-2008 08:10 AM
    You might want to check here from time to time.

Apple Retail Store - iPhone availability at the Apple Store

Although I can tell you the only store sold out of all the phones is the store I was at yesterday. Orland Park. I know Oak Brook has all 3 versions currently.
    07-12-2008 09:22 AM
    My Apple store, according to the link, is completely sold out. Apparently we are not a "priority" store. As long as my AT&T store has some on Thursday, I will be a happy camper.
    07-12-2008 11:28 AM
    ATT got the shaft stock-wise. I'm told it could be 4 days before stock replenishes, and when I say replenish, I mean replenish what few phones they had the first day.

My store only had 30 phones. No white ones, (10) 16GB, and (20) 8GB. I was literally the last person to get a phone that day. No stock was expected for awhile. I recommend doing direct-fulfill if you want to get anything from ATT.
    07-12-2008 11:35 AM
    Thanks. The only reason I wanted to do it from AT&T is because 1. I am porting 3 numbers from two different Verizon accounts. 2. The sales guy offered free activation on all three phones ($88 savings).
    I think Apple may be able to do the first (????) but not the second.
    07-12-2008 11:41 AM
    I'm not sure about activation prices. If they don't activate them in-store then they'll be waved, right? I was so anxious to get out of the store, I just swiped my card and left... I got two phones(8GB) and my receipt says $60 in taxes, which doesn't work out math-wise, so I'm guessing that includes activation cost... The only problem is I didn't activate in-store. (I'm going to have to make another couple phone calls.)

The best thing you can do is ask Apple, and it wouldn't be too hard.
    07-12-2008 11:54 AM
    If you are in CA they charge tax on the RETAIL price of the phone (even a free phone isn't free!). May be the answer if you are here in Cali.
    07-12-2008 12:24 PM
    Just called one of the Milwaukee Apple stores and he said they had good stock with about 30 people in line. For whatever that's worth. I'm waiting until tomorrow I think.
    07-12-2008 01:38 PM
    I went in yesterday (to AT&T) at 1pm thinking they were going to have iPhones left but I was wrong lol. So today its 7:11 am now and the earliest I can get to the AT&T store is at 9 am (they open at 10 am). Should I bother going or just wait?
    Update your old phone to the 2.0 software and wait.
    07-12-2008 05:28 PM
    If you are in CA they charge tax on the RETAIL price of the phone (even a free phone isn't free!). May be the answer if you are here in Cali.
    I figured as much, but it's just weird that I'm suppose to accept some rogue charges on my receipt; no one told me about them. I wonder what the rationale is for the added tax -- airwave pollution?
    07-12-2008 07:21 PM
    I figured as much, but it's just weird that I'm suppose to accept some rogue charges on my receipt; no one told me about them. I wonder what the rationale is for the added tax -- airwave pollution?
    Here is an old article about it (to be honest I didn't read it all the way through as I have grown to accept the practice after all these years... and having to explain it to customers every day when I worked for a cell phone company):
    Beware California's hidden cell phone tax
    07-13-2008 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD