Wow there is no insurance for the iphone. Better hope you don't drop and break the thing.
    07-09-2008 09:54 AM
    there is a warranty. butit doesn't cover drops, etc. only manufactured problems
    07-09-2008 10:19 AM
    there is a warranty. butit doesn't cover drops, etc. only manufactured problems
    How much is warranty? Is it worth having?
    07-09-2008 11:27 AM
    How much is warranty? Is it worth having?
    I want to say it's 100 bucks for a 3 year. And as far as if it is worth it, I'd say that depends on how long you think you will have the phone... if you upgrade every year then obviously it is not.
    07-09-2008 11:55 AM
    the store clerk at my nearby apple store said it came with a year for free, but 2 more years on for 80 bucks. so, bad ash, more or less, you are correct
    07-09-2008 11:59 AM
    the store clerk at my nearby apple store said it came with a year for free, but 2 more years on for 80 bucks. so, bad ash, more or less, you are correct
    So if you figure another iPhone will be out next year, and you are going to upgrade again... not even worth paying for Applecare.

*This talk about Applecare should be in it's own thread.
    07-09-2008 12:09 PM
    Yeah - AppleCare is definitely NOT insurance against drops, etc. And AT&T will insure just about everything in their lineup now EXCEPT the iPhone (bastards). Makes that $30 for a shock absorbing case look pretty cheap IMHO.
    07-09-2008 03:18 PM
    If a mod thinks this belongs with the Applecare thread, feel free to move this ...

OK, so what are you all planning on doing for insurance on your phone? Since you can't buy the insurance from AT&T and Applecare doesn't cover loss or damage, I'm not sure what the appropriate route to take is. I called my insurance company. If it were stolen from my home it would be considered personal property and covered under our homeowner's ... but the deductible is the same or more than the cost of the a replacement phone so that makes no sense. I can get coverage$30 a year that covers it being stolen out of a locked trunk, but that is totally useless.

Frankly my main concern is damage, more than loss or theft, and as of now I've not found anything that covers that. Am I missing an option here? What are people planning on doing?
    07-09-2008 03:46 PM
    If a mod thinks this belongs with the Applecare thread, feel free to move this ...

OK, so what are you all planning on doing for insurance on your phone? Since you can't buy the insurance from AT&T and Applecare doesn't cover loss or damage, I'm not sure what the appropriate route to take is. I called my insurance company. If it were stolen from my home it would be considered personal property and covered under our homeowner's ... but the deductible is the same or more than the cost of the a replacement phone so that makes no sense. I can get coverage$30 a year that covers it being stolen out of a locked trunk, but that is totally useless.

Frankly my main concern is damage, more than loss or theft, and as of now I've not found anything that covers that. Am I missing an option here? What are people planning on doing?
    I've never ever put any kind of insurance on a single phone I've owned and all of them have been expensive. For me it's just a matter of taking care of them. I'm sure accidents happen but bottom line is take care of it the best you can. Also a big thing for me is I pretty much update every 6 months or so. If I stick with the iPhone it looks like I'll have to make that a year. But I'll live.
    07-09-2008 04:45 PM
    I'm gonna call amex and see if they will cover it
    07-09-2008 05:54 PM
    It seems strange they won't cover them, considering the price drop...maybe apple has something to do with it...
    07-10-2008 06:09 AM
    I know I agree its very strange. I am going to be extremely careful maybe almost paranoid with it. If you damage it somehow I believe you will be paying 599 and 699 for it.
    07-10-2008 08:51 AM
    I'm gonna call amex and see if they will cover it
    Excellent idea. Please post if they do (or at least should extend out the factory warranty to an additional year on top of what Apple gives you). I had paid off and put away all my credit cards but can always dig out the AmEx if needed. I've had several expensive PDA's and a T600. Was just really careful with all of them. I have one friend who has dropped his iPhone several times - I guess the good news is the screen doesn't break that easily but yes it will (although his still works fine amazingly - just spiderwebbed pretty badly).
    07-10-2008 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD