this was on gizmodo.

``Coverflow isn't my favorite feature of OS X, but I have to admit it is neat, but that's about it. There are more efficient ways to organize pretty much any data you can think of, but this idea of applying the technology to your iPhone's Contacts list intrigues me. Nothing fancy here, it would likely be a piece of cake for Apple to throw together, and I'm a little mystified as to why it hasn't yet. It wouldn't be the first time photo browsing for contacts has been used, but it would be the coolest.``

Do you think this would be a neat feature on the new phone?
    07-07-2008 09:39 PM
    I think that would be pretty cool. There should be more apps that take advantage of the pictures of contacts.
    07-07-2008 09:49 PM
    I personally don't think I would use this as I am too lazy to associate pictures to any of my contacts on my current phone, but that's just me. It would be pretty cool to have it there just in case I use it in the near future.
    07-07-2008 09:54 PM
    Aloha Impulse622,

This is a good idea, but I know that some of my contacts don't want to have their picture taken, for whatever reason. This would be a great idea of how to further incorporate CocoaTouch, although I don't know if the current SDK allows apps to be that tightly integrated with the supplied apps. Apple would probably have to engineer that one. Let's see how many other ways we can use cover flow/CocoaTouch on our iPhones. Great thread, BTW.

HawaiiMacAddict
    07-08-2008 01:59 AM
    I would totally dig it. And for those who are too stubborn to have their photo taken.. they would be assigned a photo at random from whatever I find on the web (Google Image Search: "Back hair" "Camel Toe" etc. That will teach you not to let me take your picture...)
    07-08-2008 02:05 AM
    I personally don't think I would use this as I am too lazy to associate pictures to any of my contacts on my current phone, but that's just me. It would be pretty cool to have it there just in case I use it in the near future.
    See, my problem is that I only have pictures for some of my contacts. If there was a coverflow type interface, how would it deal with people who don't have a picture? I guess perhaps like the albums that don't have an albumcover associated with it, but then, what's the point?

I guess, though, I'm pretty happy overall with the contact list that we already have.
    07-08-2008 09:05 AM
    Yeah, I only have pictures for some of my contacts as well, so this wouldn't be a big feature for me.

Plus, I've never been that big into coverflow. I would much prefer a list with the contact pictures beside the names.
    07-08-2008 09:31 AM
    Using the coverflow concept for your contact list seems pretty neat. But it needs to be integrated with various sorting features. For example, I should be able to sort all my contacts based on last names, first names, companies/organizations, or categories. Most importantly, the contact list in the cover flow format must be searchable. This is one feature that the BlackBerry does really well. You can search your contact list based on all the criteria mentioned above.

For the contacts that does not have a picture associated with it, the app also needs to have a default name card which template can be customized by the user.

If the coverflow is just sorted by simple alphabetical order without the added features above, it would be pretty to look at, but just that.
    07-08-2008 11:54 AM
    If nothing else it could be implemented as sort of a speed dial/best friends/frequently called kinda thing, where you can choose who appears on it. I mean chances of you having a picture of your best friends are probably pretty good. I'm not a business guy but I can't imagine being able to recognize any business contacts by face, a few maybe, but not all.
    07-08-2008 01:23 PM
    You need a picture of everyone in your contacts for it to be cool.
    07-08-2008 03:14 PM
    I've personally become disenchanted by cover flow. It's graphically cool, but I find stuff much quicker using other interfaces. So I guess I don't think it would be neat for contacts (or music). However, if somebody really wants it, we might see an app that does this someday. I believe there's an API for accessing contacts.
    07-08-2008 04:01 PM
    Nice idea, Apple really has endless possibilities in there future updates.
    07-08-2008 05:30 PM
    Nice idea, Apple really has endless possibilities in there future updates.
    There's endless possibilities for lots of things. Such as the next sentence of this post. The fact is the Time Lords did start it, all the way back in Genesis of the Daleks.
    07-08-2008 05:32 PM
    lol. post above me. yeah i think this would be neat to have, but i dont see it as somethig you would use a lot. probably a neat thing to show friends.
    07-08-2008 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD