Landscape view for texting/email/any data entry?

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I did a search and didn't get any relevant results so my apologies if this topic has been touched on before.

Anyways, my co-worker has a first gen iPhone and I was just using it today to get a bit more accustomed to the GUI before I pick mine up Friday and I was somewhat disappointed to see that the landscape view/keyboard wasn't applicable for text messages. I didn't test it in e-mail but can anyone confirm whether this is an issue that's being addressed (or merely an option on the existing software that my colleague didn't have enabled) or is it just going to be a no-go even with the 2.0 software?

Any input is appreciated.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I did a search and didn't get any relevant results so my apologies if this topic has been touched on before.

Anyways, my co-worker has a first gen iPhone and I was just using it today to get a bit more accustomed to the GUI before I pick mine up Friday and I was somewhat disappointed to see that the landscape view/keyboard wasn't applicable for text messages. I didn't test it in e-mail but can anyone confirm whether this is an issue that's being addressed (or merely an option on the existing software that my colleague didn't have enabled) or is it just going to be a no-go even with the 2.0 software?

Any input is appreciated.

AFAIK, nothing has changed with the 2.0 software in that regard.

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the timely response. I was afraid of that. You would think something so seemingly simple would be implemented without hesitation.

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, it is simple and I believe they might toy around with the idea on another iphone to build hype. Steve Job's likes giving you only some of what you want and leave you wanting more...

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the timely response. I was afraid of that. You would think something so seemingly simple would be implemented without hesitation.

when I was watchin wwdc and they said they gave enterprise customers everything they asked for, I was thinking whew now their gonna talk about regular consumers and giving them what they asked for, maybe the next release we'll get some satisfaction

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I think part of why the keyboard is only in portrait and not landscape is from a speed & efficiency standpoint ... not the iPhone's, but yours. Have you noticed whenever you start typing on a different phone's keyboard, it takes a while to get used to? Over time, you get faster and faster to the point where your fingers move naturally over the keys, sometimes without hardly thinking about it. This is called muscle memory. It may be a little paternalistic on Apple's part, but my theory is that they want you to have that muscle memory effect. By keeping the keyboard consistent, it probably cuts down on the amount of 'lost' muscle memory and therefore leads to more efficient use of the keyboard as is. Therefore, as people get more used to typing in the same orientation, there are few complaints about the lack of a physical keyboard.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I've heard from plenty of people that after the first two weeks of using an iPhone, it will feel completely natural. Plus the iPhone's spelling corrections and predictive guessing is very good.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I've heard from plenty of people that after the first two weeks of using an iPhone, it will feel completely natural. Plus the iPhone's spelling corrections and predictive guessing is very good.

I've noticed the opposite it does do a good job of changing words that you have miss typed and it is fairly easy to get used to but it doesnt really have spell check or predictive text like say WM does. I wish that is something they would take into consideration along with landscape keyboard in every program on the iPhone.

sterling

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I think part of why the keyboard is only in portrait and not landscape is from a speed & efficiency standpoint ... not the iPhone's, but yours. Have you noticed whenever you start typing on a different phone's keyboard, it takes a while to get used to? Over time, you get faster and faster to the point where your fingers move naturally over the keys, sometimes without hardly thinking about it. This is called muscle memory. It may be a little paternalistic on Apple's part, but my theory is that they want you to have that muscle memory effect. By keeping the keyboard consistent, it probably cuts down on the amount of 'lost' muscle memory and therefore leads to more efficient use of the keyboard as is. Therefore, as people get more used to typing in the same orientation, there are few complaints about the lack of a physical keyboard.

I disagree with this idea on general principle. I don't think this is exactly why Apple chose to not change the keyboard, but if so it seems like Apple would just saying to all of us "Yeah, not including a landscape keyboard option was kind of stupid on our part. But let's train your muscles to live with it rather than correct the issue."

...doesn't exactly seem like a good business model to me

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site

well because of the length of the phone . . . it makes it harder to use a landscape keyboard. Try it in Safari, i know i can barely do it :/

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site

You know, at first it was pretty difficult to get used to, but now that I've been using the onscreen keyboard, it's gotten much, much easier. I can now type without really even looking at the keyboard, and the auto correct catches most of what I don't get right.

rosaxoparks

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I think they should just add it, many people have been asking for it. I know they want to promote muscle memory, and i like it better upright, but landscape keyboarding is something simple that i think needs to be added, just for those of us who might prefer it..

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I am used to typing in landscape because of my LG V I had for 2 1/2 years. To me it is more comfortable and seems right. Of course, it took me a few weeks before that was normal when I switched from a T9 phone... so who knows what will happen with my "mini muscles" this time :rolleyes:

coachpete

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Deal breaker

I could see the lack of a landscape keyboard as a deal breaker when it comes to a user that maybe an enterprise user. This is the only option I can see why BlackBerry users will not make the jump to the iPhone. Typing a long email on a cell phone is much easier on a full keyboard such as the one on the BlackBerry. I do not see this has a big hurdle for Apple to overcome and I really do not understand why that do not offer it as an option to turn on and off in each application on iPhone.

txschafers

Feb 27, 2005
Visit site
iPhone Landscape Keyboard

Will the 3G iPhone go into landscape mode when e-mailing or texting like it does when you launch Safari? I know the Instinct does this as I just bought two for my wife and eldest son. The main thing that has kept me from buying an iPhone is the portrait keyboard which I find almost impossible to type with.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
in a previous post, someone mentioned that Apple should at least offer the option and I still agree with that. For speedy thumb typing, yes, portrait mode probably is the best option and I would probably stay with that 99% of the time. But fer cryin' out loud, it's a lousy software update and if I remember El Jeffe's original plug for an all touch interface, it's so "we can add a button down the road" or something to that effect. OK Steve, people (a.k.a. paying customers) have asked for this option en masse. Shut up & deliver! :D Please.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73