My AT&T plan is not eligible for an upgrade until the 28th of July. so I do not need to wait too long, but how long will i have to wait until i can just walk into a store and buy a 3G iphone? how long did it take for the first one to become common?
    07-03-2008 09:52 PM
    Welcome to the forums! To answer your question quickly, July 11th is the first day you can walk into a store and get the iPhone 3g. Here is another thread to take a look at that can help answer some more questions you may have regarding the iPhone.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/apple...questions.html
    07-03-2008 09:56 PM
    I think he might be asking how many iPhones are these stores going to have in stock and how long are we going to have to wait before they're not backordered every time you walk in. I know I'm sure curious about that even if that's not what he's asking. =P
    07-03-2008 09:58 PM
    I think he might be asking how many iPhones are these stores going to have in stock and how long are we going to have to wait before they're not backordered every time you walk in. I know I'm sure curious about that even if that's not what he's asking. =P
    I honestly don't think we will see a shortage... think about it, they have not sold a phone in over a month, they've had plenty of time to stock pile these things. Everyone should be ok for some time.
    07-03-2008 10:01 PM
    Yeah I agree, but you really never know. You'd hope a company like Apple who knows they have a killer product with a big release would be prepared for the large demand.
    07-03-2008 10:07 PM
    Yeah I agree, but you really never know. You'd hope a company like Apple who knows they have a killer product with a big release would be prepared for the large demand.
    And I really don't think they can afford to be short after not having anything going out the door in a long while. Just my opinion.
    07-03-2008 10:08 PM
    And I really don't think they can afford to be short after not having anything going out the door in a long while. Just my opinion.
    But look at what Nintendo has done with that. They're rolling in the money and I still haven't seen a Wii out on the shelves.
    07-03-2008 10:14 PM
    But look at what Nintendo has done with that. They're rolling in the money and I still haven't seen a Wii out on the shelves.
    True but Nintendo also did not know that the Wii was going to be so hot... So they are still playing catch up. On the other hand you have Apple who knows that this device is going to be very hot. They will be ready.
    07-03-2008 10:20 PM
    True but Nintendo also did not know that the Wii was going to be so hot... So they are still playing catch up. On the other hand you have Apple who knows that this device is going to be very hot. They will be ready.
    True.

I'm still wondering what was in those brown mystery boxes that week before WWDC.
    07-03-2008 10:28 PM
    That is the question i was asking. for the reasons just like the nintendo wii.

wow, you guys are good.
    07-03-2008 10:51 PM
    do you guys know how bad it was when the first iphone came out?
    07-03-2008 10:53 PM
    Three reasons why the iPhone is different:
    1. Nintendo's GameCube was not a hot seller so they didn't take a risk in making too many Wiis. They "learned" their lesson... (this time around it was a horse of a different color.)

2. (In the US) There are TWO companies desperately after profits here Apple AND AT&T. Since AT&T is subsidizing the phones so much they NEED to have their $30.00 a month income to recoup the cost.

3. There are too many iClones out there on other networks currently and coming very soon. If 14 year old Lindsay wants a cool iPhon-y phone NOW and AT&T is out for months... this Veruca Salt wanna-be is going to get Sprint or Verizon's iClone. While there are two other big gaming platforms... none has the motion controls like the Wii. It was a very different product. (Not saying the iClones are exactly the same... but more similar to each other than the XBox and the Wii.. in my opinion)

However, it is important to note that the low price point (now nearly EVERYONE can afford it) and the fact that current iPhone users can upgrade at a low price is going to make the iPhone 3g a VERY hot seller compared to last year.
    Last edited by h22kai; 07-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    07-03-2008 10:59 PM
    those are some really good points. i am no longer worried about not getting one.
    07-03-2008 11:32 PM
    Check with your local store now - I'd bet they'd cut you slack on buying one now since your less than a month from upgrade eligibility.
    07-03-2008 11:39 PM
    Check with your local store now - I'd bet they'd cut you slack on buying one now since your less than a month from upgrade eligibility.
    I'm eligible for an upgrade in October, 2008. I spoke to 2 different reps (over the phone) and they told me since I would only be 3 months away from technically upgrading AND that I have been with them for over 7 years AND have been in excellent standings with AT&T (i.e. paying bills in full, on time, etc) AT&T would have no problems in letting me upgrade a bit early. They also stated they made a note in the system, just in case the AT&T rep @ the store is hesitant in upgrading me. We'll see what happens.
    07-03-2008 11:59 PM
    Last year at the original iPhone launch the line died out before the iPhones were gone at the store I was at. They did eventually run out but they were restocked fairly quickly, within a matter of days I think.
    07-04-2008 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD