Can I sync from different computers?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this particular instance, couldn't you move your media sync relationship to the laptop, then move it back when you get back? Certainly it has to be possible, suppose you replace your desktop you would have to create a new relationship with the new desktop. We're really not talking about the need to sync with two computers...just a different computer for a little while.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this particular instance, couldn't you move your media sync relationship to the laptop, then move it back when you get back? Certainly it has to be possible, suppose you replace your desktop you would have to create a new relationship with the new desktop. We're really not talking about the need to sync with two computers...just a different computer for a little while.

This is kind of what I was suggesting I think. Not 100% sure if it would work without having to resync to the new computer, but it should def. work with the downside of having to resync, although that would take some time it would be the same since you have all the same apps and songs form the library.

One thing I think you might be able to do is copy the entire library folder over to the macbook with the database file as well. You might be able to sync with that and then when you get back copy the library back to the computer and should still be able to sync? I honestly have no idea if this will work, but might be worth a try.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Does any know if that still works on the latest version of iTunes? Seems like way too much hassle just to sync on two different machines. Maybe I'm crazy.

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
The tutorial at Shiny Things seems sort of reasonable, although a bit hacky for me to risk right before I leave.

The best way to handle this I could imagine is: connect my iphone to a different itunes install and have the option to "recreate" my library there, copying over all my media, settings, etc, so I can at least start from the same place.

It's not a big deal that I can't add new media while I'm gone. The biggest issue would be if a new OS version is released, I can't upgrade until I get home. But, if they finally release multitasking or PNS, what's a few more days? :)

I'm still not convinced on the whole iTunes take-control-of-your-library model. I regularly use at least 4 different computers, so being tied to just one for my iPhone is annoying. I know it's archaic, but I was fine with manually copying music files to other media players, although I guess I am starting to like some of the features in iTunes.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
It's not a big deal that I can't add new media while I'm gone. The biggest issue would be if a new OS version is released, I can't upgrade until I get home. But, if they finally release multitasking or PNS, what's a few more days? :)

I'm pretty sure you can still update your iPhone. You might need to be signed in with your iTunes account linked to your iPhone, but it should work. Just don't set anything to sync. It also always warns you before syncing over your existing device so you could plug it in, hit cancel and then run the update.

Anyone can confirm this?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm pretty sure you can still update your iPhone. You might need to be signed in with your iTunes account linked to your iPhone, but it should work. Just don't set anything to sync. It also always warns you before syncing over your existing device so you could plug it in, hit cancel and then run the update.

Anyone can confirm this?

You are correct.

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
ah, I had assumed wiping the device for an OS upgrade would wipe everything. In hindsight I guess that's why previous upgrades haven't taken hours resyncing. Thanks!

Cue

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
you can sync the phone to up to 5 computers using your itunes account - it's all managed through your iphone/itunes settings after syncing, although you are limited to only one music library which is annoying when your main pc is not the pc where all the music's kept.

You should be able to upload the music from one account then download to another but alas no - Sony Ericsson phones do it without issues so i'm not sure why iphones can't but they can't - i've had it confirmed by apple.

jae73

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
You can transfer itune purchases to any pc that you authorise, but as other others have said can only be synced to one pc. Dunno why when you buy a cd the store doesn't tell where when how and what device you can use for said media

hiimhenryyy

Mar 12, 2009
www.henrybayuzick.com
I just recently used andrewgrant.org with iTunes 8, it worked flawlessly. In my opinion it wasn't hard at all. I was able to drag and drop songs off of both computers. None of my songs were grayed out either. It did exactly what I wanted. (Be able to have different songs on different computers, but alll on device.)

Hopefully this reply helped a bit.

aikliang

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got my iPhone 3GS 2 days ago and it is a great phone. Previously was using a hp ipaq rw2868.

Just to check with members here, have this issue been resolved? It seems you still cannot sync between 2 different computers (I am using PC, one with XP SP3 and the other Win7) using iTunes 9.1. I will have a look at andrewgrant tutorial later. If it is not resolved, hope it is included in the up-coming OS 4.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It isn't anything that Apple was ever considering, so as far as they're concerned there is nothing to resolve. You sync to iTunes...that is all.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW