No cut and paste

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
I hope they release this soon. Really how hard is it to implement cut/copy and paste for a company that's so big on innovation? Maybe they'll leave it as a surprise on July 11, that'd be nice, but probably unlikely.

One thing that i've noticed about apple is that they tend to purposely leave out bit of information that everyone wants to know. That way it keeps some sense of suspense, i mean they cant go through absolutely every feature of new phones new firmware . . .

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
So what were the surprises of last year's iPhone? Anyone know off hand the info that they didn't release until the day of?

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Im curious myself what they are holding back. I hope we are surprised my something we did not know on july 11. I would bet they have something in store for a new update or maybe they will have copy and past available in the apps store on release day.

hobyphone

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I think that what's holding them back is simply that it's hard to implement in a user-friendly way, and they don't want to put it on the iPhone unless they feel it's perfect. Because once they put it on there, they can't take it off, and they can't change it, because people will get used to it. Jobs is such a perfectionist, and the iPhone is absolutely his baby—he doesn't want anything on there that isn't "the best."

I'm not holding my breath for c&p in 2.1, either. I don't think we'll see it at all in 2008, personally.

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Im curious myself what they are holding back. I hope we are surprised my something we did not know on july 11. I would bet they have something in store for a new update or maybe they will have copy and past available in the apps store on release day.

Surprise . . . . were sold out :/

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I think that they are waiting for a solution from third party manufacturers. I mean you cannot have a word processing program without cut and paste. I'm sure there are developers working on it as we speak. This is the way apple is approaching a lot of their software problems. Do it the google way. Open source and "borrow" peoples ideas. Cheaper more efficient.

Mihai

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the cut and paste it is a must on a mobile phone. It would have been a good idea to incorporate this feature, but I can do without it.
Sooner or later, we'll see cut & paste on iPhone, that's for sure.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
C'mon, guys. Cut'n'paste is why I have been waiting for 3rd party apps. Cut'n'paste is the difference between a phone and a computer. Even if Apple cannot figure out how to do this, ten thousand independent developers can. I expect three or four competing 3rd party cut'n'pastes on the first day the iProgram store is open.

Incidentally, I am concerned that will not happen this week. While this is really a bigger event than the 3G, there is no hype. 2.0, the store, then 3G.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I don't think the cut and paste it is a must on a mobile phone. It would have been a good idea to incorporate this feature, but I can do without it.

I would disagree - cut & paste is even more important on a phone. I don't want to type the great American novel on my phone, I want to make quick replies, short edits, clip "stuff" for inclusion in an email. All require SYSTEM WIDE cut & paste, not just Docs to Go or PocketInformant putting it in there product.

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site

i don't think that apple would allow ten different ways to do something on their product (by different developers) they're all about uniformity

hobyphone

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
i don't think that apple would allow ten different ways to do something on their product (by different developers) they're all about uniformity

I agree. In fact, it could be really interesting to watch what happens with this feature when programs like that do start coming out. Will Apple hurry up to get c&p on the iPhone before they approve any programs that want to use it, then make everyone use that API, or will they let 10 different ways to do c&p pop up, then choose one and make everyone conform?

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site

I must also disagree. Cut and paste has always been a feature in every PDA I used in the past 5 to 6 years. From the HP iPAQ to the Treo and now BB's. And it is a very handy feature to have and perfect for road warriors using their smart phones as an computer.

IMO, Apple definitely has the technical resource to implement copy and paste on the iPhone. Why they are not doing it is anyone's guess. I suspect its another one of those "it's a Steve thing".

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I must also disagree. Cut and paste has always been a feature in every PDA I used in the past 5 to 6 years. From the HP iPAQ to the Treo and now BB's. And it is a very handy feature to have and perfect for road warriors using their smart phones as an computer.

IMO, Apple definitely has the technical resource to implement copy and paste on the iPhone. Why they are not doing it is anyone's guess. I suspect its another one of those "it's a Steve thing".
I would argue that cut'n'paste is even more important on the iPhone where typing is more difficult than on a keyboard. It may be simply that I am old and that I drink but I find it difficult to cache something on one screen in my head and then type it on another.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal