Ok....For two weeks I have called Apple a total of 4 times, chatted online with the Apple store live chat, and went to the retail store in Oklahoma City and have asked the same question each time........Will there be a higher price for customers not eligible to upgrade through AT&T? The answer has been, each and every time, absolutley not. 199/299 is the price and that is that. Apparently that wasn't right.

So fine....I now call the Apple Store and ask, will you guys be doing in store activations when the iPhone goes on sale. The answer is....."Well, we are a little fuzzy on that right now" 10 days before the release of one of their biggest products and they don't know?

I'm not sure if this is AT&T's fault or Apple's fault, or both....but they are turning this into a huge mess!!!
    07-01-2008 02:11 PM
    I'm sure that it's AT&T's fault . . . don't forget that last year when Apple ran the activation show that things went relatively smooth. . . Now we see how greedy AT&T is since they subsidized the iPhone, they seem to care a ton about recouping their losses at the cost of making their current and future customers unhappy.

I was shocked to see that the ihone would have different prices based on whether or not you were eligible. i think that it's stupid, and AT&T should stick to one price and perhaps offer it for $100 for eligible upgrades, $200 (like apple promised) for all other situations.
    07-01-2008 02:43 PM
    Well it's all better for you now - AT&T has announced their official pricing - to their employees (Link).
    07-01-2008 04:31 PM
    Well, the upgrade eligibility is just to recoup AT&T's losses from subsidizing the end user's previous phone. However, I do think it's ridiculous that it's $200 more for a non-eligible upgrade than an eligible one.

Luckily enough, I'm in the green for a nice $200 iPhone.
    07-01-2008 05:36 PM
    This does not apply to people with original iPhone tho correct?????
    07-01-2008 10:42 PM
    Well, the upgrade eligibility is just to recoup AT&T's losses from subsidizing the end user's previous phone. However, I do think it's ridiculous that it's $200 more for a non-eligible upgrade than an eligible one.

Luckily enough, I'm in the green for a nice $200 iPhone.
    How is that ridiculous when that's basically how every other phone is? Particularly smartphones? It seems that iPhone users all expect something for nothing.
    07-02-2008 12:05 AM
    How is that ridiculous when that's basically how every other phone is? Particularly smartphones? It seems that iPhone users all expect something for nothing.
    Well it's just because they're waiving the early upgrade fee for the original iPhone owners that it makes it seem unfair. I suppose that it is how it normally works, but honestly, it'd generate even more hype if it allowed anyone to get a $200 iPhone. Regardless of the extra $200, AT&T is already making $360 a year off of service for the iPhone. That more than pays for the subsidizing of the original price and the user's previous phone.

Again, it doesn't apply to me. I'm just sympathizing.
    07-02-2008 12:41 AM

no it's just that we know that apple has standards and they really aren't living up to them with this pricing fiasco . . .
    07-02-2008 01:20 AM
    Regardless of the extra $200, AT&T is already making $360 a year off of service for the iPhone. That more than pays for the subsidizing of the original price and the user's previous phone.
    What, you think all of your monthly data fees go into AT&T's pockets? I would have thought they would need to pay for things like FCC auctions, tower building/upkeep, 3G deployment, 4G deployment. Unlike Sprint (with it's lower data costs), AT&T wants to remain a viable company by making a profit on their services.
    07-02-2008 08:00 AM
    no it's just that we know that apple has standards and they really aren't living up to them with this pricing fiasco . . .
    In my experience, Apple's standard has been to provide the market with high quality products for a premium price. The AT&T pricing fits that perfectly.
    07-02-2008 08:02 AM
    What, you think all of your monthly data fees go into AT&T's pockets? I would have thought they would need to pay for things like FCC auctions, tower building/upkeep, 3G deployment, 4G deployment. Unlike Sprint (with it's lower data costs), AT&T wants to remain a viable company by making a profit on their services.
    I agree. As in every business, you need to cover your costs and then add a margin of profit. And that's what AT&T is doing. They must do this to develop the company.
    07-02-2008 09:54 AM
    In my experience, Apple's standard has been to provide the market with high quality products for a premium price. The AT&T pricing fits that perfectly.
    But Apple has never gone about and changed their prices and made the same product more expensive. They also haven't separated things that should be together (i.e. texting and data in the original plan). That would be like selling an iMac without the keyboard and mouse, or paying extra for an operating system on a computer.
    07-02-2008 11:50 PM
    No, Apple just likes to ***** themselves out for .Mac - sorry, Mobile Me and charge you $100 for a $20 1GB stick of RAM, etc. Not that I don't own a Mac (I do) nor am I an iPhone hater (buying a 3G when I can) but Apple is all about marketing in a lot of ways and if they can make a buck, they do. Of course, I own AAPL in my stock holdings, so can't ***** too much

Do I like what ATT is doing? No. They're being a typical cell carrier which was based on the most moronic business model from the beginning of cellular service (i.e. people won't pay $500 for a handset originally so let's price it cheaper and get our profit down the road over time by screwing them with contracts, higher service rates, ad nauseum). Was true back in 1991, still holds today. However, currently, Apple sells a 3G handset to ATT or whoever for somewhere between $425 - $525 depending on who you read and the carrier is going to have to make up the difference on the subsidizing somewhere. So, that ends up being the consumer. Business as usual for the carriers, AT&T included in this case.
    Last edited by volsfan0911; 07-03-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    07-03-2008 12:09 AM
    But Apple has never gone about and changed their prices and made the same product more expensive. They also haven't separated things that should be together (i.e. texting and data in the original plan). That would be like selling an iMac without the keyboard and mouse, or paying extra for an operating system on a computer.
    What "same product" is now more expensive? Don't you mean the newer, better product is more expensive?

And your analogy is bad. The iPhone is a complete phone. It's the service provider who's raised the price.

The iPhone used to be considered a feature phone so it had a feature phone wireless package. Now the iPhone is considered a smartphone, with support for the corporate world so it has a smartphone wireless package. Your real frustration with Apple should focus on why they chose not to remain in the feature phone market. However, the answer to that is easy: The real money is in corporate sales not individual consumer sales. As always, Apple is following the money.

Maybe someday they'll produce the oft-rumored iPhone Nano - that will undoubtedly be a feature phone.
    07-03-2008 08:25 AM
    Aren't you the little AT&T Fanboy!!!!!!!!!
    07-03-2008 08:29 AM
    Kupe, who do you work for Apple or AT&T, both companies charge too much for their products because they know they have the market cornered. AT&T is exclusive with the iPhone in the United States but if you kept up on your reading about iPhone news around the world there are markets where people are getting the new 3G iPhone at nearly nothing (less than $100) while people here in the United States get rapped on not only phones but data plans and then there is the whole capping the bandwidth issue that is currently making it's rounds in the United States.

AT&T should be ashamed at their lack of customer service, AT&T will charge you over thousands of dollars for data plan screw ups on their behalf but because they are so big the little tiny consumer has to grin an bare it, that sux! There is no such thing as customer service with AT&T and I spend 250.00 a month on my plan with them. So maybe it is time to look for an alternative provider.
    Last edited by coachpete; 07-03-2008 at 08:38 AM.
    07-03-2008 08:35 AM
    What "same product" is now more expensive? Don't you mean the newer, better product is more expensive?

And your analogy is bad. The iPhone is a complete phone. It's the service provider who's raised the price.

The iPhone used to be considered a feature phone so it had a feature phone wireless package. Now the iPhone is considered a smartphone, with support for the corporate world so it has a smartphone wireless package. Your real frustration with Apple should focus on why they chose not to remain in the feature phone market. However, the answer to that is easy: The real money is in corporate sales not individual consumer sales. As always, Apple is following the money.

Maybe someday they'll produce the oft-rumored iPhone Nano - that will undoubtedly be a feature phone.
    I dont think that you get where i was going with that. it wasn't directed at Apple, i was just comparing the 2 companies. . . i was referring to AT&T separating services, text and data, and making the price higher . . .

what ever though, my plan already had unlimited text i'll just need to add the data . . . . . .
    07-03-2008 01:27 PM
    Kupe, who do you work for Apple or AT&T, both companies charge too much for their products because they know they have the market cornered. AT&T is exclusive with the iPhone in the United States but if you kept up on your reading about iPhone news around the world there are markets where people are getting the new 3G iPhone at nearly nothing (less than $100) while people here in the United States get rapped on not only phones but data plans and then there is the whole capping the bandwidth issue that is currently making it's rounds in the United States.
    Capitalism at it's best if i do say so myself *cough* *cough*
    07-03-2008 01:34 PM

AT&T should be ashamed at their lack of customer service, AT&T will charge you over thousands of dollars for data plan screw ups on their behalf but because they are so big the little tiny consumer has to grin an bare it, that sux! There is no such thing as customer service with AT&T and I spend 250.00 a month on my plan with them. So maybe it is time to look for an alternative provider.
    Guess this is just good old American capitalism.

Capitalism is best when it is monopolistic (from the monopolist's perspective), and it is no different in cell phone service than other areas, such as pharmaceuticals. In fact, that is a perfect analog...others around the world get even better deals, because we could Americans have to pay the development costs of these great new drugs...
    07-03-2008 01:34 PM
    Aren't you the little AT&T Fanboy!!!!!!!!!
    If analytically assessing an issue rather than having an uninformed knee-jerk, drama-queen reaction to it makes me a fan boy, so be it.
    07-03-2008 02:04 PM
    Kupe, who do you work for Apple or AT&T, both companies charge too much for their products because they know they have the market cornered.
    Your assertion is self-defeating. The only measure of charging too much is low or no sales. If the market pays a price, clearly it's not "too much." Perhaps you meant to say "too much for your budget" - and that may be true.

AT&T is exclusive with the iPhone in the United States but if you kept up on your reading about iPhone news around the world there are markets where people are getting the new 3G iPhone at nearly nothing (less than $100) while people here in the United States get rapped on not only phones but data plans and then there is the whole capping the bandwidth issue that is currently making it's rounds in the United States.
    Please show me an example of the nearly-free iPhone and cheaper data plan (5GB/$30). What I see are "nearly free" iPhones, expensive voice plans and draconian data plans (Canada, UK, Australia, Denmark, et al).

That last sentence is the first one in your post to make sense. How long would someone have to give $250/mo to a company whose services they utterly despised when so many other choices were available before you could question their common sense?
    07-03-2008 02:13 PM
    I dont think that you get where i was going with that. it wasn't directed at Apple, i was just comparing the 2 companies. . . i was referring to AT&T separating services, text and data, and making the price higher . . .
    But AT&T's prices didn't change because of iPhone. iPhone's category changed, mainly due to Steve Jobs adding a whole bunch of corporate smartphone-related improvements to the device. The iPhone used to be a consumer feature phone, The iPhone 3G is a PDA/Smartphone. AT&T's rates for these devices are well published.
    07-03-2008 02:15 PM
    But AT&T's prices didn't change because of iPhone. iPhone's category changed, mainly due to Steve Jobs adding a whole bunch of corporate smartphone-related improvements to the device. The iPhone used to be a consumer feature phone, The iPhone 3G is a PDA/Smartphone. AT&T's rates for these devices are well published.
    You ought to be looking at their business enterprise plans - same $45/month BS as BES.
    07-03-2008 02:28 PM
    You ought to be looking at their business enterprise plans - same $45/month BS as BES.
    No kidding! Luckily AT&T qualifies the iPhone for the basic PDA plan too. AT&T will stick it to the rich corporations for that rate - although those corps probably already have a big discount.
    07-03-2008 02:31 PM
    I recently moved to Australia, but I used to subscribe to Cingular (later AT&T) in CA. (Still have an AT&T prepaid SIM for when I visit the States.) The prices weren't too bad, the coverage was good, but the customer service sucked! So I understand what you're whining about.

But, do you realize that many places in the world have it FAR WORSE? At least AT&T provides unlimited data for $30 a month! And unlimited data is essential for a data hog like the IPhone. AT&T even has an unlimited voice plan for $120. Not too shabby!

Here in Australia, unlimited data in an unknown concept. They even measure data on home broadband! Sure, we have 3 telcos selling the IPhone, but that doesn't mean there'll be any meaningful competition! Two haven't announced their plans yet. And the one that has, is offering a "generous" 700 megabytes on most of their plans, 100mb on their cheapest plan, and 1G on their two most expensive plans. $150 on Optus will get you limited voice (hard to convert their rates to minutes of use) and 1G of data. That same $150 will get you UNLIMITED voice and UNLIMITED DATA on AT&T!

And Canada and Denmarks are getting equally screwed also. As bad as AT&T customer service is, at least you can use your IPhone without fear of getting a surprise hammering on your data rates at the end of the month! I'd give my right arm for an IPhone plan with AT&T rates!!!
    07-05-2008 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD