What are your guys' view on the iPhone camera button?

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Recently I went on a trip with my family and I used my iPhone to take pictures of me and my cousins. I noticed when I extended my arm out to get us all in the picture, I was having a hard time because I didn't know if my finger was hitting the button or not.

What do you guys think? Do you think the next iPhone should have a real button for the camera on the phone?

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Nope I dont think that they should put another button on the iPhone but I do see that as just about the only use for haptic feedback that would actually be of any use. So when your finger is on the button there is a small vibration so to let you know that you are on the button.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Nope I dont think that they should put another button on the iPhone but I do see that as just about the only use for haptic feedback that would actually be of any use. So when your finger is on the button there is a small vibration so to let you know that you are on the button.

Really? I never felt a vibration when I touched the camera button. I tried it right now and nothing happened. Maybe my fingers are numb from all the emailing and texting that I do :D

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Really? I never felt a vibration when I touched the camera button. I tried it right now and nothing happened. Maybe my fingers are numb from all the emailing and texting that I do :D

There is currently no haptic (vibrate/buzzing) feedback on the iPhone. Nor for the upcoming 3G "new iPhone". If there was, you can be sure Apple would have hyped it for all it's worth at introduction. It's a band-aid at this point IMHO. Any cell phone camera so far sucks, so photography with one is 'spur of the moment' at best (I'm a little biased having done some photojournalism previously). However, it is nice to always have a camera handy - perfect shots don't seem to wait for you to break out the equipment ;). So, given the choice of missing the opportunity forever or using the iPhone's abysmal lens, I'll take my chances with the latter. BTW - the new chip is capable of processing 5mp according to Infineon's literature. It's just the POS lens which Apple uses along with general consumer apathy which prevents better capabilities. [/rant]

tschertz01

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
No more physical buttons please. The software button kind of sucks but I've picked up a couple of tricks that make it much more useful. First, hold down the camera's soft-button and release to take the photo. Much easier than trying to find the button when you're not looking at the screen. Second, if you are taking self portraits then use the Apple logo to line up the shot. If you can see your mouth in the Apple logo then your shot should be framed perfectly. Hopefully these tricks will help you overcome some of the limitations of the iPhone's software button.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I definitely agree with the statement of "no more buttons." However, I could see apple possibly utilizing the ringer on/off button to take pictures in camera mode or something possibly. Honestly, who silences their phone while taking pictures.

Also, why not have someone else take a picture of you guys? The foolproof solution!

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
I would love a button like on the top or the bottom but i dont think iphone 3g will have it. maybe a developer can develope an app to make the volume keys act like one.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site

as someone else stated that doesnt currently exist on the iPhone but apple had some patent or something where they were working on this feature probably for the keyboard. It most likely won't make its way to the actual iPhone because I can't really see much use for it but when you mentioned the problem with the camera button it made me think that would actually be a use for that feature. Sorry to confuse.

moomen

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I was a little dissapointed they didn't add major improvements to the camera. I would love not having to not lug a camera around on trips and such, but it just doesn't compare to most digital cameras for events, trips, and such. I would have probably traded in the GPS for a 5Megapixel, zoom, flash(maybe better as an external peripheral w/own battery) and video capabilities. But maybe we will get the best of both worlds from the developers :)

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Perhaps they'll address the camera at Christmas with the 32gb model.:rolleyes:

The iPhone current camera is ok, and I'm not looking for a replacement for my Nikon, but good grief, can't they make that camera button better - every other picture I take is an "accidental press" on the camera button. And then when I really need to capture that once in a lifetime Bigfoot/UFO picture, you can beat the screen to death and no click...

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
One way to address the camera issue is to be able to assign one of the buttons (volume up/down or sleep) just when the Camera.app is open to act as a shutter-release.

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
To dstrauss:

Haha, PLEASE tell me you're poking fun at Apple's tendency to release new/better/makes you wish you had never bought the first iteration hardware and that's not confirmed or even strongly speculated on. I've waited this long to jump on the iPhone bandwagon. I don't know if I could stomach such a revelation anytime within the next 6 months.

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
As for the haptic solution I think that is horrible, unless the feature would only enable for the camera use. Haptic feedback is annoying. I have tried it out on the LG Voyager, and the Samsung Instinct. I had to disable that feature. It gets very old, very quick.

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm with you!

I hate taking pictures of myself with the iPhone. If they don't want to add a camera button, they should at least, make the on-screen area that you need to press, a little bit larger and easier to press while holding the phone. It's a real inconvenience. How about using the home button for that purpose while in the camera application? (and moving the home button to the screen only for the camera application).

GaryUSC

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I always felt that the home button should act as an all purpose button depending on the apps you are using at the time. So when you are using the camera app, the home button snaps the pictures.

Then on the apps' interface, there should be a soft home button that takes you back to the home page.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbiePilgrim