Is 8GB Enough?

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
You can never have too much memory; never. My bet is the gaming world is going to go wild, and it will take a good chunk of memory to store that data.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Just as a heads up for everyone:

I just converted ONE video to work on the iPhone and it took up 663MB (the movie was only 85 minutes.. most movies are much longer).

So the 8GB iPhone is really = 7.24GB - 5 movies (approx 3.5 GB) = 3.74GB left (which is about 1/2 the memory) for mail, apps, music, pictures, podcasts, email attachments, etc.

Doesn't seem like enough now... plus I keep thinking about the resale value and I am not sure why. Chances are the 3 generation of iPhone will be drastically different and no one will want my iPhone 3g just like no one wanted/wants my 2g iPod Mini.

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
If you already have just an ipod you can understand how much space you use and limit yourself and only upload music or movies that you absolutely LOVE and 8G will be amazing use for your phone. Just manually manage it and you can have the right amount of
memory and movies from itunes will tell you how much gig's they are and I can't imagine Apps will waste that much space.

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm getting the 16GB, I don't care much for watching movies but I love having episodes of my favorite shows. I don't think the 16GB is enough, I was really hoping Apple release a 32GB version but the 16GB will do for now.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Am I correct in assuming if down the road you can expand your memory for $80?

Probably not. Apple has never offered an expansion program before, preferring to sell you the next, greatest generation with more memory for a heck of alot more money. $80 is what you'll pay to have the battery replaced. Plus be without your beloved iPhone for at least 3 business days. Unless you'd like a rental iPhone to tide you over, in which case that'll be another $25 or so thank you much. Did I mention I own a big chunk of AAPL in my Roth IRA? :p

And no, 8GB isn't enough. Heck, 16GB isn't enough. For those who own a house, you'll be very familiar with this axiom. Stuff always expands to fill the space available. That goes double for memory, disc space and expenses rising to meet increased income! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I'm getting a 16 gig version, I'll allocate 6 gigs to music, 4 to videos, 3 to apps and 1 to photos

3 GB for apps is A LOT.
Most of the apps are pretty small. Even Super Monkey Ball is only 35MB and that's massive compared to the majority of the apps up for sale.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
3 GB for apps is A LOT.
Most of the apps are pretty small. Even Super Monkey Ball is only 35MB and that's massive compared to the majority of the apps up for sale.

It is, and you'd have to go hog wild with the apps to hit anywhere close to there. I, as in a previous post, use Apple Lossless for my codec, so that's a huge memory hit there. And, video is an absolute pig with a full length feature film from iTunes running 1.2 - 1.5 GB. So, budget accordingly! :)

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
where did you get that idea?
it has never been possible in any prior cases... has it?

Probably not. Apple has never offered an expansion program before, preferring to sell you the next, greatest generation with more memory for a heck of alot more money. $80 is what you'll pay to have the battery replaced. Plus be without your beloved iPhone for at least 3 business days. Unless you'd like a rental iPhone to tide you over, in which case that'll be another $25 or so thank you much. Did I mention I own a big chunk of AAPL in my Roth IRA? :p

And no, 8GB isn't enough. Heck, 16GB isn't enough. For those who own a house, you'll be very familiar with this axiom. Stuff always expands to fill the space available. That goes double for memory, disc space and expenses rising to meet increased income! :rolleyes:

Someone posted something like that on here or another forum but I was not sure if it was true.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
3 GB for apps is A LOT.

You are COMPLETELY correct. I thought most of the apps were going to be on the larger side. Still, I wonder how big TeleNav is going to be? I guess it doesn't take up that much space on the Blackberry, huh?
When I posted this I thought the games were going to be much MUCH larger in terms of space.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR