Is 8GB Enough?

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Well I am looking to get the new 3g iphone, it will be my first iphone. I really like the price of the 8gb model and very comfortable spending that amount. However I was wondering if that is enough space? I don't know what apps are going to be coming out with as time goes by but I think I want that aol aim app. I know too many apps will take up the space but I am not sure if I want to install lots of apps. I don't want any games on it I know that much.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Well I am looking to get the new 3g iphone, it will be my first iphone. I really like the price of the 8gb model and very comfortable spending that amount. However I was wondering if that is enough space? I don't know what apps are going to be coming out with as time goes by but I think I want that aol aim app. I know too many apps will take up the space but I am not sure if I want to install lots of apps. I don't want any games on it I know that much.

I'm too much of an audiophile :p so I rip all my music in Apple lossless which means 8GB or 16GB wouldn't hold 20% of my current iTunes library. So, personally I want all the storage I can get. Video eats up a lot of room - if you plan on carrying a lot with you, I'd go for the 16GB personally (frequent business traveler so movies are important to me - Southworst doesn't show them in-flight). If you only want some applications & a few hundred tunes ripped at 128kps AAC? The 8GB would handle that easily. The apps aren't going to be that big for the most part. Now watch SMB (super monkey ball) eat like 300MB or something as soon as I say that :eek:. But video and low compression music would be the biggest consumers I would think.

patput

Jun 25, 2008
www.mwpbooks.com
I have the 8GB but am always running out of space, so plan on getting the 16GB.
I don't have any photos on it, just the latest episode of my podcasts, a couple of movies and my contacts and bookmarks and some music, not a huge amount. This is why, if I want any of the new software, I really think I'll need the 16GB.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Thats why I can't make up my mind. I don't carry my music with me and I don't care for videos either. Maybe some pictures and things like that with a few apps but I have no plans for music or vids on my phone. I have other things I use for those. I guess it based all on how you plan to use it. I am going to have to think on this! :D

Ahambone

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, wondering if I should go 8gb or 16gb.

On one hand, I figure that it's always better to have more space. On another hand, I'm not throwing out my iPod, and I feel like in a year, it will be time to get yet *another* new iPhone, so should I really pig out on 16gb right now?

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site

On one hand, I figure that it's always better to have more space. On another hand, I'm not throwing out my iPod, and I feel like in a year, it will be time to get yet *another* new iPhone, so should I really pig out on 16gb right now?

My thoughts exactly. Luckily (just for this reason... otherwise unlucky) I am buying my phone on July 17... hopefully more news will be out about the app sizes by then. While I am forced to wait until the 17 (contract is up with Verizon then) it may be a good idea to wait a few days (if you can handle it without exploding... like I feel I may) to get a read on the apps.

Sinistar

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
8gigs should be plenty if you dont plan on having music/videos/games on it, but more memory is always better if you can afford it, just in case. I have about 200 cd albums so I'm assuming it would take every bit of that 8gigs so 16gigs for sure here.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Well, Apple announced that the largest app size possible will be 2 GB. I think the only applications being able to reach that size are meant for professional applications where thousands of images are necessary to illustrate something. If you take a look at the current iPhone software created by Apple, the entire OS takes up less than half a GB of memory. This should be a good judge of applications that are coming.

All in all, I'm definitely standing in line for an 8GB.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
3Guser,
I think that 8GB is a good choice for you because you won't be using your iPhone for music or videos. The Apps won't fill up that much space. Like dhp1080 said, the largest app is 2GB. So I think the 8GB is a great choice :) I'm thinking about getting the 8GB myself. :D

sailorgirl

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Originally I was all set on the 8GB. I only use about 2GB on my ipod. But then I started reading the posts about "better to have too much memory" and all the talk about the potential for a 32 gb iphone coming out in not too long, and I realized that if I want to get my money's worth out of this phone, I may be best to just go with the 16gb and not end up needing to upgrade before my 2-year contract is up.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
3Guser,
I think that 8GB is a good choice for you because you won't be using your iPhone for music or videos. The Apps won't fill up that much space. Like dhp1080 said, the largest app is 2GB. So I think the 8GB is a great choice :) I'm thinking about getting the 8GB myself. :D

I have been thinking about this all day and I agree with you. Since I will only use the phone for it emails and text and apps it should be plenty. I won't use it for music or games. I made up my mind right now im sticking with the 8gb.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site

I was thinking that too today. Thats why I think I'll save some money and get the 8gb.

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

I currently have an 8GB 1st gen, but I'm able to manage 2-3 movies, a pretty good-sized music library, and a few jailbrake apps. That being said, I don't think I'll ever really have enough storage :D

HawaiiMacAddict

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Aloha everyone,

I currently have an 8GB 1st gen, but I'm able to manage 2-3 movies, a pretty good-sized music library, and a few jailbrake apps. That being said, I don't think I'll ever really have enough storage :D

HawaiiMacAddict

With that being said Im sold on the 8GB! Thanks!!!:D

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I would go for the 16 GB simply because well if/when they allow you to use the iPhone as a usb storage device you will be able to keep all of your other files on it. Also it will make the resale value that much better. Just look at the 4GB iPhones how much are those selling for now? I wish that they would have had the 16GB iPhones when I bought mine. Heck I wish they had a 1TB iPhone:p now I dont think everyone would be able to use that much space but I know I could.

rosaxoparks

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm kinda concerned too...
I probably only keep about 250 songs in my devices depending on my tastes that month, but I'm worried about going App crazy.
Does anyone that has an iPhone now have alot of problem with their space due to apps?

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
I think that should be enough for your average user. keep in mind if you add video and a bunch of songs you will be able to delete them for more memory. i really do think 8 will be enough unless you have a millions songs on your itunes

moomen

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
The way I look at it, I take a day, maybe two days worth of media, if I go on a short trip w/out MBP(which never happens). The only problem now is how many apps I want on it which can not be added or deleted then readded without buying them twice. I'm probably going with the 16 GB for that reason, but If you don't care about getting alot of applications, I'd just pick the media you want for the day or two and change it up when you get bored...

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I lot of people are media crazy if so the 16gb I think is better, I still think that the average user who won't use much media except for apps then 8 should be enough. I least I sure hope so since apps won't take up much space from what I have been gathering.

marys

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Thats why I can't make up my mind. I don't carry my music with me and I don't care for videos either. Maybe some pictures and things like that with a few apps but I have no plans for music or vids on my phone. I have other things I use for those. I guess it based all on how you plan to use it. I am going to have to think on this! :D

Go with the 8 GB in this case ;)
I'll be doing the same. Don't need 16 GB

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro