Waiting in line for the iPhone. Has anyone here done it?

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to know if anyone here waited in line for the previous iPhone. How was it and how long were you out there for? I wanted to know because I'm thinking about going the first day but don't know how they lines are going to be.

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha iLoveiPhones,

I actually worked out a deal with my boss so as to get off a couple of hours early to wait inline. My wife had a cold then, and instead of listening to me and staying home (like she ever listens to me anyway :rolleyes:), she actually saved a place for me in line! The line, while long, really moved extremely quickly - as a matter of fact, had I waited until 8:00 or so, I could've probably just walked into the store to pick up my iPhone.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll get the 3G iPhone or not, but if I make the purchase decision prior to 11 July, I'll be in line yet again. I know I can wait until Day 2 and just walk in, but there's just something about getting the best tech out there in my hands as soon as possible :D

As for the lines THIS year, they may actually be a bit longer than last - the purchasing process has been changed, what with the in-store activation requirement. I don't think the lines, even in the Apple Stores, will move quite as rapidly as last year. Still, I would stay inline. :D

HawaiiMacAddict

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Aloha iLoveiPhones,

I actually worked out a deal with my boss so as to get off a couple of hours early to wait inline. My wife had a cold then, and instead of listening to me and staying home (like she ever listens to me anyway :rolleyes:), she actually saved a place for me in line! The line, while long, really moved extremely quickly - as a matter of fact, had I waited until 8:00 or so, I could've probably just walked into the store to pick up my iPhone.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll get the 3G iPhone or not, but if I make the purchase decision prior to 11 July, I'll be in line yet again. I know I can wait until Day 2 and just walk in, but there's just something about getting the best tech out there in my hands as soon as possible :D

As for the lines THIS year, they may actually be a bit longer than last - the purchasing process has been changed, what with the in-store activation requirement. I don't think the lines, even in the Apple Stores, will move quite as rapidly as last year. Still, I would stay inline. :D

HawaiiMacAddict

That's sweet of your wife to do that for you, and with a cold? wow!

Oh and I hear ya about those lines being longer this year. I actually enjoyed activating my iPhone at home. I think the at home activation was just too complicated for some people that's why there doing it differently this time around.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Depends when the release is. If it's at 8AM my mall isn't even open at that time, so I don't know if they'll just open up the Apple store early or what. If it's at 6PM I'll be waiting in line all day!

And I hope they don't do some sort of credit check during the activation. I don't have a credit card, only a debit card so I'm worried something might happen.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Reaktor5,
To open an AT&T line you need to have good credit or if you don't qualify you have to pay a deposit which is usually around $500.

Last edited:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I should go into a local AT&T store to have them run a credit check for me. Not having a credit card shouldn't cause me to have a bad credit report.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I should go into a local AT&T store to have them run a credit check for me. Not having a credit card shouldn't cause me to have a bad credit report.

Do you have any credit? Car loan? Bills/Utilities in your name for years? Bank Account for a long period of time? Etc.
Also, ask AT&T BEFORE you have them run your credit how long they hold the credit check for. Some places will run your credit today and let you keep that same credit check for 5 days (some places more... some places less). If this is the case, you will have to run a credit check again on July 11.
Please note that every time you run a credit check it ends up hurting your credit. Do not do this more than necessary. If they say they can't hold the credit check until July 11, it is not worth running now.
Also, depending on what kind of month the Carrier (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) is having they may hold the credit check to higher or lower standards. Which means if they are in desperate need of customers, they will take those with a lower credit score without charging a deposit... so there is no guarantee if you will have a deposit or not with a mediocre credit rating.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Do you have any credit? Car loan? Bills/Utilities in your name for years? Bank Account for a long period of time? Etc.
Also, ask AT&T BEFORE you have them run your credit how long they hold the credit check for. Some places will run your credit today and let you keep that same credit check for 5 days (some places more... some places less). If this is the case, you will have to run a credit check again on July 11.
Please note that every time you run a credit check it ends up hurting your credit. Do not do this more than necessary. If they say they can't hold the credit check until July 11, it is not worth running now.
Also, depending on what kind of month the Carrier (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) is having they may hold the credit check to higher or lower standards. Which means if they are in desperate need of customers, they will take those with a lower credit score without charging a deposit... so there is no guarantee if you will have a deposit or not with a mediocre credit rating.

I just turned 18 in February and opened both a savings and checking account about a month ago. Also, just got approved for a $6,000 loan for college. I haven't had the chance to have anything in my name due to time. Worst comes to worst, I'll just have my mom open it in her name. She better have July 11th off from work!

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Depends when the release is. If it's at 8AM my mall isn't even open at that time, so I don't know if they'll just open up the Apple store early or what. If it's at 6PM I'll be waiting in line all day!

And I hope they don't do some sort of credit check during the activation. I don't have a credit card, only a debit card so I'm worried something might happen.

Aloha Reaktor5,

When the Kahala Mall Apple Store opened here, the first guy in line got there around 0330 (3:30AM). When the mall workers arrived, they opened up the outer doors and let the line start right beside the new Apple Store. The Apple Store opened at its regular time, of course,but the line was still allowed to form. It should be the same for the 3G iPhone launch, but you may want to consult with your mall's security office, just to be sure.

HawaiiMacAddict

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Reaktor5,
That's a great idea to have your mom open an account with AT&T. I had to do the same thing because I'm 19 and hadn't established that much credit. What you guys can do is add you as an authorized user on her account, that way you can buy phones and make changes to the plan without her having to be there to authorize it.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Hey thanks guys for the replies.
Unfortunately my mom is on Verizon right now so I'll be starting my own AT&T account. I actually read up on what AT&T will charge you for sketchy credit for the old iPhone, which is somethint around $250 deposit. Then they'll pay that back to you after a year. It doesn't sound ideal but I wouldn't be using that money in my savings account to begin with.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
i am on verizon too, i am about 1 1/2 years through the 2 year contract. trying to decide wether if it would cost more to cancel or just wait until the end of the plan, then end it. either wa i plan on getting 3g on launch date.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
i am on verizon too, i am about 1 1/2 years through the 2 year contract. trying to decide wether if it would cost more to cancel or just wait until the end of the plan, then end it. either wa i plan on getting 3g on launch date.

Which Verizon plan do you have? To save money on your bill if your planning to keep it till the contract ends is to downgrade to the lowest plan. Also you should sell your phone on ebay after your contract ends. Or this is a whole nother thing you can do is see if any of you friends or family want Verizon. You can do a change of responsibilty and get out of your contract without having to pay a dime.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site

It could be cheaper than you think. Gizmodo just did a comparison on ETF from different cell companies. Verizon did fairly well. My ETF will be $100 and next March is when my contract runs up, so yours could be even cheaper than that.

Etf: Cellphone Companies' Early Termination Fees Compared

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
It could be cheaper than you think. Gizmodo just did a comparison on ETF from different cell companies. Verizon did fairly well. My ETF will be $100 and next March is when my contract runs up, so yours could be even cheaper than that.

Etf: Cellphone Companies' Early Termination Fees Compared

Ya I heard Verizon isn't so bad when you want to terminate your service with them. I heard that every month you stick with them they lower your early termination fee.

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Only line i saw was at our store. The guys lines up the day before and they slept in their car leaving their seats in line. The line was pretty long and wrapped around the building. I would expect a day in advace line up would be fine.

Sinistar

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I doubt there will be a need to wait in line where I live. I live in a smaller town in western Pa with no 3G service (this is "Verizon/Sprint territory" as everyone I know, friends/family/coworkers have them as they have 3G here). I'll drive by the local ATT store a couple hours before opening anyways (I get off work at 6am) to check. There's prob not gonna be anymore than 5-10 people in line I suspect.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Im going to probably stop by the mall on friday night and see how things look. Likely theres goign to be a line that goes forever. so ill probably make my move on saturday morning. the mall doesnt open till 10 but they will prob open doors early adn i can always go at like 8 or 9 and wait on line, hopefully be walkign otu with my iphoen around 10 or 11. HORAY IPHONE

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I really don't care how long the line is. I'm going to show up at an Apple store on Friday morning between 7-8am and stand there as long as it takes.
I won't go much earlier than opening, because unless I go 3 hours before, I'll still end up just as far back in line as I would if I show up at 8.
I could go later in the day, but then I'll just obsess over wanting to go down there and wait to buy it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox