As someone who sells his old phones on Ebay, I'd say there are some good deals and good sellers out there to take advantage of. You just need to be real careful when you are buying.

A few things to keep in mind...

1.) If they don't post or aren't willing to provide extensive pictures....walk away.

2.) If a deal seems too good to be true...walk away.

3.) If a seller doesn't give a detailed description of how long he/she has had the phone or can't tell you much about it....walk away.

I wouldn't say that you should completely avoid Ebay or Craigslist, but it is definitely a buyer beware situation. Don't get in too much of a hurry and you should be fine.
    04-13-2010 04:39 PM
    I like all of my stuff new, so no.
    04-13-2010 04:42 PM
    When iPhone generation 4 is released this summer, rest assured the 3Gs goes on craigslist/backpage. I always sell it for a loss so I can just move it and get money.
    04-13-2010 06:51 PM
    Personally I find that sites (like craigslist) are a hit and miss. You have to look for the responses or the posts that seem from a respectable person.

Like I look for the, "Hey guys, I have for sale a lightly used....." not the, "De pone is gud no scratches quality good auwsome...". You get the idea lol.

Honestly from what I can tell with phones a lot of people buy them, and then get an upgrade or want to change themselves - typically people respect their phones enough as it is THEIR phone during their ownership. Oh, and look for phones that are TOO cheap - could be issues.

Personally I HAVE bought Blackberries off of craigslist (well a similar site, not it in particular) and no issues to this date.
    04-14-2010 04:54 AM
    When iPhone generation 4 is released this summer, rest assured the 3Gs goes on craigslist/backpage. I always sell it for a loss so I can just move it and get money.
    let me know when you post it, i might need to upgrade
    04-14-2010 05:56 AM
    I buy/sell on Craigslist all the time. The trick to Craigslist is to only deal with local people because there is no safe-guard in place to protect you from being scammed. The good side of Craigslist is that you can see the device before dropping down the cash.

When it comes to Craigslist though, always be sure to meet in a very public place. If you are going to be meeting up with someone you don't know to buy a device you have never seen for a couple of hundred dollars in cash, you want to make sure you are surrounded by witnesses. Never let anyone come to your house, never go to theirs, never meet in a parking lot unless it is of a busy establishment, etc.
    ^^^ Exactly, my 3G was bought used, like they said don't buy unless it's local because for such a significant amount of hard earned cash you want to see the phone and make sure it works. When you go to see it bring your SIM card so you can make sure it will work after you take it home. Check all the apps and usual settings to make sure everything works. If it's in a case remove the case to make sure the actual phone is not in bad shape, that is what happend to me the back of my phone looks like a warzone which bothered me at first but I got a good deal and it works perfectly. Also talk to the person selling, I've sold stuff before and if they are a good seller and stand by the phone they will be willing for you to contact them if there are any problems.
    04-14-2010 09:21 AM
    I bought a 2g from a doctor off Craigslist that was upgrading to a 3g. This was 2 years ago before a jumped in the pool with it. It worked just fine. We met at a restaurant. I would do it again.
    04-15-2010 07:23 AM
    sorry before I jumped in the pool with it.
    04-15-2010 07:23 AM
    No! I never buy from either. Too many things to go wrong.
    07-08-2013 02:48 AM
    I can't say there's anything wrong with it, never used either. I just like my tech shinny and new.
    07-08-2013 03:08 AM
    I have sold a few things on Amazon and I purchase just about everything from Amazon.
    I have only purchased about 3 items from eBay ever with no problems.
    I would recommend meeting at your local police station if you are going to buy/sell something from Craig's List.
    I sold a resistance weight set on Craig's list a few months ago. I was moving and had the guy meet me at my apartment because the weight set was to big to toke around. It was my last day in that apartment and the weight set was the last thing to go. I am 6'2" and I had two friends at the apartment with me when the buyer arrived. Both of my friends are 6'4" by the way.
    The guy bought a trailer and tools. His wife was in a separate car keeping a eye on us the whole time.
    The guy cane inside and took a look at the weigh set and decided that he did in fact want it. He handed over the money and one of my friends help him take it apart. I left for about a hour and when I returned, they were done tearing it down.
    It worked out quite well.
    The ONLY reason I had him meet me at my apt is because I was moving, otherwise I wouldn't recommend doing so. I was completely moved out by the following day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-08-2013 09:36 AM
    I highly doubt it. I prefer to go to the store and get what I want. That way, if there's a problem, I can take it back to that store for a refund or an exchange, but that's Just Me, D...
    07-08-2013 09:53 AM
    Not me I prefer to see what I'm buying. It also makes it easy if you need to return or exchange the device.
    07-08-2013 11:35 AM
    I am not sure, if the reviews are pretty good ,why not
    07-11-2013 12:09 AM
    I am not sure, if the reviews are pretty good ,why not
    ​???huh???
    07-11-2013 09:25 AM
    I've been buying and selling phones in Craigslist for years. As long as you meet in public, and verify everything works before money changes hands, you're good to go. The last couple of times I actually made trades at an AT&T store to make sure everything was on the up and up with the device.
    07-11-2013 09:40 AM
    I would buy off of Craig's list, but not eBay.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    using Tapatalk
    07-12-2013 11:47 PM
    I would buy off of Craig's list, but not eBay.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    using Tapatalk
    Why is that? eBay is way more safe ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    07-12-2013 11:58 PM
    The fees E-Bay charges along with pay pal fees are extreme. I would rather meet someone at my local carriers store and make sure everything is totally above board.

Sent from my Blackberry Q10 using Tapatalk
    07-13-2013 12:49 AM
    The fees E-Bay charges along with pay pal fees are extreme. I would rather meet someone at my local carriers store and make sure everything is totally above board.

Sent from my Blackberry Q10 using Tapatalk
    Fees only apply if your a seller not a buyer .. Nice thing about eBay is as a buyer your protected .. Item not as described your protected .. As a seller they have to follow the rules .. I have personally used both eBay and Craigslist .. Although I like face to face Craigslist is sketchy eBay offers protection but whatever works best is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    07-13-2013 03:09 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD