How many email accounts can you have on the iPhone

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I can't find the answer to this one. I am trying to decide if I want the iPhone or the BB Bold. The bold will allow me to have 10 addresses. Does anyone know how may the 3G phone will allow? How many does the 2G allow?

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
how did i know someone was gonna do that?
it might be mentioned in one of the recent keynotes (if your really that interested). most likely march 6, or wwdc

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
So far I've got 6

So far I've got 6 email accounts set up on my iPhone, so my guess is that it could be unlimited. However, my guess would be something more realistic like 50 or 100. This would, however, I would guess, severely diminish battery life, especially if they are being checked ever 15 minutes.

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't need to check all my accounts frequently, I have 2 that I need to check very frequently all day and the others can only be 1ce or 2ce a day or even less often for a few. I just want to make sure I pick the device that doesn't limit me too much.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I thought it was 10?

Does anyone know if the iPhone supports @hotmail.com addresses?

Sadly it does not. I had to dump my hotmail when I made the switch. I'm not sure if the new firmware will make any difference either. Someone who may know regarding that please chime in.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
So what email accounts are compatible with the iPhone? (And by compatible, does that mean it is able to check the account for email every 15 minutes?)

Second Question:
Can all general email accounts (gmail, hotmail, aol, yahoo, etc.) be checked using Safari?

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
that's a good question, I hope it just ports my settings directly from outlook and I don't have to set each one up individually

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Any POP or IMAP e-mail should work, unless there's some really strange account/server settings. I think I read somewhere that Hotmail doesn't support POP or IMAP without paying extra for a premium account. But in my experience, essentially any e-mail account can be set up. There are so many authentication and port settings in the iPhone that any e-mail account should work, as long as it supports POP or IMAP.

I don't want to sound rude, but if Hotmail doesn't support POP or IMAP, you should stop using it.

GMail has a great "web app" for the iPhone, and as long as the web page doesn't have way too much AJAX and other stuff going on that overwhelms the iPhone's RAM/processor, any web page that works in a desktop browser should work in Mobile Safari.

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
From Apple Support Forum:

Apple Discussions:Topic : Hotmail on iphone? said:
You can configure Hotmail to work on the iPhone. It's working great on mine!! You have to upgrade to a Hotmail Plus account (although, apparently they will be offering POP3 on free accounts, as well, sometime within the next year). It sounds like POP3 on the paid Hotmail accounts is something that was just "officially" enabled last week. I found an official announcement from one of the Lead PMs for Hotmail - take a look, here:

Your mail is here, come and get it!: Hotmail now offers POP Access for Hotmail Plus users

I just upgraded my Hotmail account to Hotmail Plus yesterday and now my mail works from my iPhone (it was not working yesterday before I upgraded my account). Here are the iPhone mail settings I am using successfully (the email addresses and passwords are just examples, of course):

Account: On

Account Information:
Name: John Smith (note: enter your own name)
Address: example@hotmail.com (note: enter your full Hotmail email address)
Description: Hotmail

Incoming Mail Server:
Host Name: pop3.live.com
User Name: example@hotmail.com (note: enter your full Hotmail email address)
Password: password (note: enter your Hotmail password)

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):
Host Name: smtp.live.com
User Name: example@hotmail.com (note: enter your full Hotmail email address)
Password: password (note: enter your Hotmail password)

Advanced Settings:
Incoming Uses SSL: On
Outgoing Uses SSL: On
Authentication: Password
Delete from Server: When removed from Inbox (or your preferred option)

That's it - I hope everything works for you, as well. Good luck!

Mihai

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
finally. I have both a Hotmail and a Yahoo mail accounts and I've been expecting for Hotmail to offer this service.Yahoo already had it. But it sucks that they aren't free :(

wingfan

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
GMail has a great "web app" for the iPhone, and as long as the web page doesn't have way too much AJAX and other stuff going on that overwhelms the iPhone's RAM/processor, any web page that works in a desktop browser should work in Mobile Safari.

I'd be really surprised if Google doesn't have a GMail app in the App Store when it opens. The gmail program for the blackberry works great, it would be much better if it were on an iphone though.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
finally. I have both a Hotmail and a Yahoo mail accounts and I've been expecting for Hotmail to offer this service.Yahoo already had it. But it sucks that they aren't free :(

On yahoo you do NOT have to upgrade for a fee to get it to work on the iPhone. For hotmail you do have to pay and upgrade.

bigbrass93

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
you have to pay for hotmail on bb as well. you either upgrade to the pay service, or i believe download the plugin which looks to be a pain in the ass.

does gmail imap on iphone push email?

musadjs

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I can't find the answer to this one. I am trying to decide if I want the iPhone or the BB Bold. The bold will allow me to have 10 addresses. Does anyone know how may the 3G phone will allow? How many does the 2G allow?

I know this is an old thread over five years old but I too have been wondering how many. So far I have over 25 emails on my iPhone in the default mail app I hope this helps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an old thread over five years old but I too have been wondering how many. So far I have over 25 emails on my iPhone in the default mail app I hope this helps.
25? Do you have a separate email address for each family member? LOL :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

musadjs

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
25? Do you have a separate email address for each family member? LOL :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

I have an icloud email then I have one for Facebook, one for Twitter, one for Instagram, one for Amazon, one for Ebay, one for Paypal, one for Netflix....et cetera... I make emails for different accounts for different services so I filter or screen each service separately. :)
It works for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner