Sorry, I really did search for this info but couldn't find.

I really want to buy an iphone (never had one). I really hate AT&T more than I can express (another story). If I buy an iphone on ebay that states that it is "unlocked" does that mean I don't have to use AT&T--I can use Verizon or someone else? I really hate AT&T.

Also, what does "jailbreaking" mean in the context of iphones? Is this something you would recommend. Does it mean that if I get a jailbroken phone I don't have to use AT&T? Did I mention I hate AT&T and would prefer to use another provider?

Also, if the new G3 iphone is coming out for $199/$299 next month (represented to me by AT&T flunky tonight) why are old phones on ebay over $500.00?

Any other suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry for the remedial questions.
    06-24-2008 03:10 AM
    I'll try to answer your questions..

if you buy the iPhone, you'll have to jailbreak and unlock it so that you can use it with any service provider. And 'any' means those who use GSM technology (those with sim cards basically). In the US, it's basically AT&T and T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint use completely different technology. Worldwide, everyone is pretty much on GSM so yeah.

Jailbreaking essentially means you're making your iPhone capable of things that Apple is currently limiting. It makes your iPhone more powerful, and it can run all diff types of 3rd party apps and games. I would definitely recommend jailbreaking, there isn't that big of a downside now. It's essentially foolproof.

The original iPhone's are still probably going for a lot on eBay because of all the negativity surrounding AT&T's deathgrip on the iPhone 3G. Plus, no one knows how the iPhone 3G will work if its unlocked because of the new activation process. Either way, there looks like theres still demand for the original iPhone..

Oh, and btw, iPhone 3G..not G3.
    06-24-2008 07:12 AM
    Sorry, I really did search for this info but couldn't find.

I really want to buy an iphone (never had one). I really hate AT&T more than I can express (another story). If I buy an iphone on ebay that states that it is "unlocked" does that mean I don't have to use AT&T--I can use Verizon or someone else? I really hate AT&T.

Also, what does "jailbreaking" mean in the context of iphones? Is this something you would recommend. Does it mean that if I get a jailbroken phone I don't have to use AT&T? Did I mention I hate AT&T and would prefer to use another provider?

Also, if the new G3 iphone is coming out for $199/$299 next month (represented to me by AT&T flunky tonight) why are old phones on ebay over $500.00?

Any other suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry for the remedial questions.
    The iPhone 2G can be unlocked so you can use them on T-Mobile without Visual Voicemail. My opinion as to why they are selling so high could be cause #1 the iPhone 3G is not released yet an #2 you can unlock the iPhone 2G, where the 3G may be useless to unlock because in order to get one you have to pony up and sign a 2 year contract with your favorite wireless provider AT&T.

When the iPhone was released one of the biggest complaints was the absence of 3rd party applications. So that's where the Jailbreaking process was born in which it gave you the ability to run third party apps developed specifically for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Since I don't have an iPhone I'm not 100% sure on the following statements, but from what I've read this is what I've concluded: The unlocking and jailbreaking are independent of each other. You can have and unlocked, but not jailbroken phone or vise versa. Or it can be both.

Because it's ability to be unlocked, some feel it to be better to buy (via ebay) the iPhone 2G now because the price will go up once the 3G is released. I am of the opinion the price will drop because the 3G 8Gb is $199 and the 3G 16Gb is $299. Time will tell.
    06-24-2008 07:31 AM
    Because it's ability to be unlocked, some feel it to be better to buy (via ebay) the iPhone 2G now because the price will go up once the 3G is released. I am of the opinion the price will drop because the 3G 8Gb is $199 and the 3G 16Gb is $299. Time will tell.
    IMO, you're goign to find alot of 2g iphones on ebay come july 11th, you are going to see quite a few Techies amongst us who are looking to pickup a 2g iphone post 7/11 because they want to unlock it, however most of the iphone users out there are still on the AT&T network, and just want to upgrade and make a buck out of their old 2g iphone..

i'm personally going to purchasing a new 3g iphone come 7/11, not being a current owner. And i'm looking to pickup a 2g iphone for nostalgic purposes post 7/11.. i feel the prices are going to drop considerability, you have to figure, more supply than demand, and you can get good prices.
    06-24-2008 08:58 AM
    I'll try to answer your questions..

if you buy the iPhone, you'll have to jailbreak and unlock it so that you can use it with any service provider. And 'any' means those who use GSM technology (those with sim cards basically). In the US, it's basically AT&T and T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint use completely different technology. Worldwide, everyone is pretty much on GSM so yeah.
    Thanks so much. So if I buy it unocked and w/ jailbreak and take it to T-Mobile is there any limitation on service like access to the internet?
    06-24-2008 12:46 PM
    The iPhone 2G can be unlocked so you can use them on T-Mobile without Visual Voicemail. My opinion as to why they are selling so high could be cause #1 the iPhone 3G is not released yet an #2 you can unlock the iPhone 2G, where the 3G may be useless to unlock because in order to get one you have to pony up and sign a 2 year contract with your favorite wireless provider AT&T.
    Thanks. Is visual voicemail the only thing you can't get with iphone @ T-mobile? Does everything else work?
    06-24-2008 12:48 PM
    I just looked at iphones on ebay and wondered the same thing, I don't think it will be long before the 2.0 software is able to be jailbroken, at least i hope it will because alot of the cool apps are not gonna be approved by apple
    07-06-2008 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD