The 3g Keyboard...

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
From everything I've seen to date, it's going to be exactly the same. No hardware changes and no landscape rotation for texting or emailing. Personally, I don't mind the keyboard and got used to it in 5 minutes trying it out at the Apple store a couple of weeks ago. Some people hate it, most seem to be willing to put up with it. Software is pretty good if you'll trust it enough. But no, I can't touch type on it like I can with my Blackberry (the Curve has one of the best physical QWERTY thumb keyboards ever made IMHO). Worthwhile trade-off in my case.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it's going to be exactly the same. The 3G upgrade, as far as we can tell, is strictly 3G, GPS, and form factor--when compared to the original iPhone. The original iPhone keyboard is great, like volsfan says, you should try it out..but then again there aren't any iPhones around in Apple stores for you to try it on..

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I think relatively soon apple is going to allow a qwerty keyboard addon that will "clip" onto the unit for those people who dislike the touchscreen keyboard. Someone will come up with it. The demand is there.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I have come to find all the complaining about the 3G iPhone to be quite humorous. The reason I find it humorous is because of the items complained about.

-MMS
-Cut and Paste
-Video Recording
-Blah
-Blah
-Blah

It's pretty much the same list every time, and it was rendered old and annoying to read by June 10th. What amazes me is that out of the complaint lists, there is one feature that I don't see complained about enough, and it is the one that would have probably made the biggest difference to the most users—UNIVERSAL LANDSCAPE KEYBOARD.

MMS can easily be gotten around with email if people would stop being so hard headed about it (hint hint, this is why it still isn't included), video recording can be added via software, as can cut and paste, and A2DP—the middle two I would actually expect (video recording and cute/paste); the former and the latter? Not so much. Regardless, stop complaining about it! If Apple hasn't heard you already, it probably means that they aren't listening.

Universal landscape keyboard is complained about, this is true. It isn't complained about nearly enough when compared to the things previously mentioned. People... If you are going to complain about something, complain about something that will make everyone's user experience with the iPhone better.

In other words, stop bombarding Apple with l33t speak "suggestions" about how they need to add MMS or you will tell your 4 friends that they are a "suck@$$" company. They. Heard. You. They just don't care.

Instead, how about replacing the suggestion with one for landscape keyboard through all typing apps. (Don't include the death threats this time though...)

(not directed at anyone above, just a general rant that this thread got me thinking about)

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
the landscape keyborad would be great. even if the landscape keyboard took up a majority of teh screen, i think for textings and emailing, there would be plenty of space available for the text box.

is it possible for this to be an app update? i think if it could be it would be one that a lot of people would appreciate. esp me with my big thumbs.

Also if its a app then people could chose to add it if they wanted. some people are completely happy with the vertical keyboard and they can keep it that way if they want.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
the landscape keyborad would be great. even if the landscape keyboard took up a majority of teh screen, i think for textings and emailing, there would be plenty of space available for the text box.

is it possible for this to be an app update? i think if it could be it would be one that a lot of people would appreciate. esp me with my big thumbs.

Also if its a app then people could chose to add it if they wanted. some people are completely happy with the vertical keyboard and they can keep it that way if they want.
I would have to disagree. A landscape keyboard takes up so much screen space, you can barely scroll up or down.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
A landscape would be a waste of screen real estate. If it's that important to enough people, someone will write software for it. How about a little A2DP love for the folks that want a 21st century, Bluetooth-capable phone? A new BT stack is not one of those things you'll be downloading from iTunes anytime soon :(

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I would have to disagree. A landscape keyboard takes up so much screen space, you can barely scroll up or down.

What difference does it make so long as it is optional depending on screen rotation? The least they could do is give the option to rotate the screen and have a landscape keyboard in Notes, SMS, and Mail; just like they do in Safari.

I personally type pretty fast using the iPhone's keyboard in portrait mode and I am definitely accustomed to it. Even with that being the case though, I still prefer to type in landscape and my speed and accuracy just increases. I have wished they would add the Safari keyboard rotation ability to all typing apps since the day the iPhone was released...

Doesn't look like it will ever come though, for whatever reason.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
What difference does it make so long as it is optional depending on screen rotation? The least they could do is give the option to rotate the screen and have a landscape keyboard in Notes, SMS, and Mail; just like they do in Safari.

I personally type pretty fast using the iPhone's keyboard in portrait mode and I am definitely accustomed to it. Even with that being the case though, I still prefer to type in landscape and my speed and accuracy just increases. I have wished they would add the Safari keyboard rotation ability to all typing apps since the day the iPhone was released...

Doesn't look like it will ever come though, for whatever reason.

The option to have a landscape keyboard should be there to turn on or off by user choice.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The option to have a landscape keyboard should be there to turn on or off by user choice.

Right, I agree. I don't think it needs to be implemented through an options menu or anything though. I feel that SMS, Notes, and Mail should all recognize when the device is turned on its side and switch the keyboard automatically, just like Safari.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Amen. I'd personally never use it (based on using other's iPhones a little) but it'd be nice to have that option (and should be easy to implement as well). That's supposed to be one of the iPhone's strengths - upgrade software on the fly or at least easily pushed via iTunes as soon as Apple kicks it out.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Right, I agree. I don't think it needs to be implemented through an options menu or anything though. I feel that SMS, Notes, and Mail should all recognize when the device is turned on its side and switch the keyboard automatically, just like Safari.

This may not be far off considering how Apple has implemented vertical video video viewing on the 2.0 firmware.

moomen

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
3g keyboard?

Do the keys click and/or vibrate when you press them?

Is there a way to landscape type? official or 3rd party?

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
there is no haptic feedback - the letter just pressed gets bigger but you're literally typing on a sheet of glass and that's exactly what it feels like.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77