Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased an iPhone through eBay about a week ago. I would have purchased one in store but I couldn't find one because of the recent pull. So anyways after I bought my iPhone I went on vacation for a week, the phone arrived and I didn't get a chance to see it till' I got home. I couldn't wait to see it! I was out a phone and out an iPod so I was desperate to see it. Finally I made it home unloaded my things and opened my package and guess what?
    There are more scratches than what the seller stated, the phones' unlocked, and the worst thing of all the SIM tray doesn't go in all the way so it doesn't take my SIM Card.

I felt completely hopeless. The reason being is because I've had so many phones. I would pop my SIM Card into phones I'd buy on eBay. And I haven't found a phone that I liked yet until I played with the iPhone. Also even if I wanted to I couldn't buy another one right now because I don't think the guy will issue me a refund. Plus the refund process takes awhile (esp. if the seller is trying to ignore you.)

So I really don't know what to do guys. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks for the help in advance
    06-23-2008 10:49 AM
    oh, that sucks
    I was considering buying an iPhone from eBay, but I was afraid of situations like this, and you're experience puts me in doubt...

obviously, you should try to get your money back or to request another phone. more than this I don't know what to say as I never used eBay
    06-23-2008 11:13 AM
    You can file a complaint with eBay or Paypal saying the seller misrepresented the condition of the phone. Paypal will then hold payment while they investigate the issue. If they find in your favor, you will have to return the phone and you will receive a refund. Another option is to sue the seller in a small claims court.

For now, print out the page listing the iPhone you bought. Print out any information you can find on the seller, in case you need this for anything. Good luck.
    06-23-2008 11:51 AM
    Do a dispute with Paypal + eBay. Don't worry man, this kind of stuff happens all the time. You'll get a full refund in due time.
    06-23-2008 12:51 PM
    because I'm considering buying an iPhone from eBay, what advices can you give me to avoid such situations? how could I know which seller is reliable and who's not? any signs, small details to look for when I choose an offer?

please tell me. it's obvious that you know more about this.

thanks
    06-23-2008 01:19 PM
    because I'm considering buying an iPhone from eBay, what advices can you give me to avoid such situations? how could I know which seller is reliable and who's not? any signs, small details to look for when I choose an offer?

please tell me. it's obvious that you know more about this.

thanks
    Check their seller rating, read ALL information available about the product and the seller, and if possible, contact the seller for more information and high resolution pictures. I don't think there is a better credibility-checking tool than the seller rating though. And with all the measures eBay has, if they aren't honest about the product on the product page, the worst thing you lose is time.

Be smart and eBay is pretty much foolproof. So long as they didn't have the opportunity to know the phone was broken, iLoveiPhones should be able to get their money back.
    06-23-2008 01:56 PM
    That's a bad situation for sure, but eBay typically works to improve the customer experience. I'm sure if you follow the correct steps, it is very likely that you will get your money back.
    06-23-2008 04:26 PM
    Check their seller rating, read ALL information available about the product and the seller, and if possible, contact the seller for more information and high resolution pictures. I don't think there is a better credibility-checking tool than the seller rating though. And with all the measures eBay has, if they aren't honest about the product on the product page, the worst thing you lose is time.

Be smart and eBay is pretty much foolproof. So long as they didn't have the opportunity to know the phone was broken, iLoveiPhones should be able to get their money back.
    thanks so much for the advice

so u think that eBay is safer and more reliable now than it used to be in the past years and I don't risk losing my money?
    06-23-2008 07:44 PM
    You always risk losing money when buying a product sight-unseen. What you want to do is try to minimize that risk. That is what the feedback ratings in eBay are all about. Don't buy from a new seller. Rather, buy from a 'power seller' with little, if any, negative feedback. Risk? Yes, there's always risk. You either need to minimize the risk or wait and buy new from Apple/AT&T. The extra cost of ownership of the iPhone 3G over a 2-year contract may be worth the piece of mind of knowing you're the first one to own it and that Apple stands behind it.
    06-23-2008 08:24 PM
    thanks so much for the advice

so u think that eBay is safer and more reliable now than it used to be in the past years and I don't risk losing my money?
    It depends on what you mean by safer. If you get a shady deal they have you covered up to a certain amount(it's high), and they give you every tool -- within reason -- to know whether you should trust the seller or not. The biggest loss possible(IMO) is the hassle accrued when you get a shady deal. BE CAREFUL. BE SMART. REALIZE SLEAZEBALLS EXIST. AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

Most of us use eBay for the prices -- and what you aren't paying for in money, you are paying for in risk and time. Try and eliminate as much risk as possible(eBay helps a lot with this), prepare for the worst, and the worst thing you CAN lose is time. I use eBay because I'm poor and my time is worthless until I get a degree. If I could make more money in the time it takes to save it on eBay, I wouldn't do it. I can't stress this enough though: pay attention to everything eBay has to offer and use it.
    06-24-2008 12:59 AM
    ok. thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate it
    06-24-2008 06:21 PM
    I have been selling on ebay for over 6 years. If you used paypal you should have no problem getting a refund. There are lots of phones for sale on there now, but they are going for ridiculously high prices. When you settle on a phone you want to buy, ask the seller some specific questions about the condition of the phone, and keep the replies. If s/he doesn't reply in a reasonable amount of time, look for a different seller.
    06-25-2008 06:50 PM
    Thanks patput! I actually got the problem resolved. The iPhone I bought off of eBay had a limited warranty still left over. So I took the phone to the Apple store and get it replaced. But... I still think I payed to much for it on eBay. I thought with the new 3G coming out the older model would have gone down in price.
    06-29-2008 02:18 AM
    Also, make sure to give that seller bad feedback on eBay. You want to prevent this from happening to other people…
    07-05-2008 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD