I bought myself a used iPhone today. The problem is that it is unlocked and jailbroken. I am an At&t customer and I want to put it on my plan as an iPhone and use the proper iPhone data plan and all that. The reason I bought this thing was to ensure that I am upgrade eligible on July 11th, so I pretty much need it activated normally.

I have been told that I simply need to set the phone into restore mode by holding the power button and the home button for ten seconds until the Apple logo appears, then I need to let go of the power button. This will apparently set the phone into restore mode where I need to next plug it into iTunes. Once plugged in, iTunes will ask me if I want to restore to a backup (which I don't have) or if I want to restore it to factory state using the latest firmware.

I was then told that once I do this and get it back to factory state, I can simply swap my SIM and activate it like normal.

I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this. When I had my first iPhone, I never messed with jailbreaking it, so this is all new to me. I was told that this is a safe procedure and runs about 0 risk of bricking the phone, but I want to be sure.

Just to give as much info as I can... The seller told me it was purchased with firmware 1.1.3 on it, that he used ZiPhone to unlock and jailbreak it, and finally that he never messed with the baseband. It still has firmware 1.1.3 on it.

So, can anyone confirm?
    06-21-2008 12:59 AM
    Ok here is what I found out. Looks like you can plug it into your computer, launch iTunes, and hit the Restore option in the Summary tab. But since this is your first time plugging it into your computer, not sure if this is going to work, worth a try. Also, I think ZiPhone has a utility that allows you to unjailbreak your iPhone (this is unconfirmed).

Here is a good article about saving the iPhone with recovery mode: Save your iPhone with recovery mode - iPhone Alley

Good luck and let me know how it goes.
    06-21-2008 09:20 AM
    Talk about having a scare that you thought just caused you to take $300 and throw it out the window...

The phone was running 1.1.3 when I got it, so I tried to restore it to factory 1.1.3 before activating and upgrading the normal way. Ladida... I download the 1.1.3 file, put the phone into restore mode, open iTunes and alt-click on Restore.

All seems well, phone is doing the restore process, verifying the restore, restoring the firmware, and right when it would normally be done, it pops up a message saying the phone can't be restored. Crap! I just bricked my phone! Well, not exactly. The phone itself was stuck in restore mode, so I manually got it out, which brought me to the activation screen, and now when I plugged it into iTunes, it immediately asked me to activate like normal. Problem is, the only thing I have succeeded in doing is relocking the phone...

Now I have a reclocked phone that has one of two things installed on it, the first being the still jailbroken firmware that will cause me to get bricked during activation, the second being some mishmash of firmware that will still cause me to get bricked during activation.

Well, I tried numerous times and when I thought all was lost, I gave in and said to myself, "I am screwed if I leave it like this, so I can't make it much worse..." and I downloaded a 1.1.4 restore file. I set the phone into restore again, alt-clicked restore, chose 1.1.4, and let my fate lie in the hands of the gods... lol... <cough>

Anyway, it did the restore process, same as last time, only this time, it gave me the oh so WONDERFUL prompt that told me the phone was restored to factory settings. A small countdown, well, counted down... and I was taken back to the activation screen.

Phew... Restored to factory 1.1.4 and ready to be activated. Now I just need to get a clean SIM and I am good to go. I hope...
    06-21-2008 02:04 PM
    All is well. The restore worked like a charm and got rid of all traces of it ever being jailbroken/unlocked. I went ahead and got a new SIM and it activated without a hitch. Now, I only hope my plan works in the end and I am able to make back at least 3/4 of what I paid for this thing.

Ultimately, I just hope my expenditure (used iPhone cost + $299 16 gig cost - what I resell the used one for) totals less than the "retail" price for the 3G 16 gig. As long as it does, I won.
    06-21-2008 10:13 PM
    Awesome! Congrats, hope my info helped out.
    06-22-2008 05:31 AM
    Ultimately, I just hope my expenditure (used iPhone cost + $299 16 gig cost - what I resell the used one for) totals less than the "retail" price for the 3G 16 gig. As long as it does, I won.
    im not sure how your math is working out there, but i too, have had long thoughts about picking up a used iphone on fleabay. there are some decent looking 8gb models for around the $100 range... i have a feeling that the used iphone market is going to plumet in value come july 11th as EVERYONE tries to sell their used iphones..
    06-22-2008 06:45 AM
    Crazetoon thanks for sharing your experience. Once the 3G is released, I too will probably buy 1st gen iPhone for one of my kids. So your experience is invaluable when it comes to restoring an unlocked and jailbroken phone. I am not an AT&T customer at this time so I will wait for the 1st gen to plummet in pricing on or after the 11th.
    06-22-2008 10:55 AM
    I wouldn't wait. I would get your used 1st gens NOW. The price is bound to go UP after the release of the 3G, not down. The 3G can't be easily gotten to unlock and sell for use on other carriers. The first gen can.

I am willing to bet that 1st gen goes up to $450 or so for an 8 gig for the first couple of months after the release of the 3G model.

My math, by the way, is pretty simple:

Lets say the retail price that I would have had to pay for the 3G iPhone is $600 for the 16 gig. I would have had to pay that because I didn't have a first gen iPhone on my plan and I wasn't eligible.

I now have an iPhone plan, so I am automatically eligible for the $299 price on the 16 gig.

$299 for the 3G + $300 for the used one I got = $599

$599 - whatever I get when I resell the used one (trying for $300) = $xxx

As long as $xxx is less than the retail cost of a new 3G 16 gig, I made a good move in buying this used one.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-22-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
    06-22-2008 11:14 AM
    I wouldn't wait. I would get your used 1st gens NOW. The price is bound to go UP after the release of the 3G, not down. The 3G can't be easily gotten to unlock and sell for use on other carriers. The first gen can.

I am willing to bet that 1st gen goes up to $450 or so for an 8 gig for the first couple of months after the release of the 3G model.

My math, by the way, is pretty simple:

Lets say the retail price that I would have had to pay for the 3G iPhone is $600 for the 16 gig. I would have had to pay that because I didn't have a first gen iPhone on my plan and I wasn't eligible.

I now have an iPhone plan, so I am not automatically eligible for the $299 price on the 16 gig.

$299 for the 3G + $300 for the used one I got = $599

$599 - whatever I get when I resell the used one (trying for $300) = $xxx

As long as $xxx is less than the retail cost of a new 3G 16 gig, I made a good move in buying this used one.
    NOW I understand why you bought a used one. I was like, "what is he doing?" Let's just hope ATT wasn't gonna let just any costumer, iPhone-dude or not, upgrade by renewing their contract. I wish you the best. And even if it doesn't pan out, I heard on MacRumors that the new iPhone is going to have a lower-quality screen; so the old iPhone will make a nice, separate gaming and media phone.
    06-22-2008 06:52 PM
    NOW I understand why you bought a used one. I was like, "what is he doing?" Let's just hope ATT wasn't gonna let just any costumer, iPhone-dude or not, upgrade by renewing their contract. I wish you the best. And even if it doesn't pan out, I heard on MacRumors that the new iPhone is going to have a lower-quality screen; so the old iPhone will make a nice, separate gaming and media phone.
    I think you are talking about the user theory on the screen. I take it with a grain of salt personally. Steve said it has the same screen, so...
    06-22-2008 09:35 PM
    I think you are talking about the user theory on the screen. I take it with a grain of salt personally. Steve said it has the same screen, so...
    Hey, I like my half-baked theories, so leave me be! Besides, I was trying to make you feel better if you wound-up with a worst case scenario.
    06-23-2008 02:03 PM
    Hey, I like my half-baked theories, so leave me be! Besides, I was trying to make you feel better if you wound-up with a worst case scenario.
    I wasn't attacking you. I understand what you were getting at and I do appreciate the gesture! All good in the hood man!
    06-23-2008 03:10 PM
    I wasn't attacking you. I understand what you were getting at and I do appreciate the gesture! All good in the hood man!
    I was being melodramatic, sorry. The hood be good, like it should and always could; I just wish everyone understood.
    06-24-2008 01:03 AM
    wow guys.... haha... just wow
    06-24-2008 12:56 PM
    I'm not sure where you are looking, but I sure do not see any iphones on ebay in the $100 range.

im not sure how your math is working out there, but i too, have had long thoughts about picking up a used iphone on fleabay. there are some decent looking 8gb models for around the $100 range... i have a feeling that the used iphone market is going to plumet in value come july 11th as EVERYONE tries to sell their used iphones..
    06-25-2008 09:31 PM
    I'm not sure where you are looking, but I sure do not see any iphones on ebay in the $100 range.
    yeah, right now all i see is the knockoff dual-sim phone which is a bad looking knock off... the day i posted this, i searched for buy-it-now, price range $50-$100, then was resulted with some 8gb models which had moderate use, but i personally wouldn't have purchased, i would be looking for a non-unlocked model to be exact.

as of today, there are a few 4gb models, some are broken... some are buy-it-now for $250... but current bids are $100ish...
    06-25-2008 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD