View Poll Results: How likely would you be to use this application?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutley, I might even pay a little for it if it was done right

3 33.33%
  • Yeah, but only if it was free

5 55.56%
  • Maybe

0 0%
  • No Way

1 11.11%
    how likely would you be to use an application that gave in real time, community movie, and restaurant ratings? essentially a program like yelp or rotten tomatoes that gave sortable user ratings on a scale from 1-10, with the ability to rate and write reviews straight from ur iphone?
    06-20-2008 02:47 PM
    I think an IMDB app would be cool. Pull ratings, movie times, plot, etc. right from the website. I'd definitely get it for a few bucks. Going to Fandango or any other website to look up movie information on MobileSafari always takes forever, even on WiFi.
    06-20-2008 02:53 PM
    I think something like this would be great. I would really like a nice application that allowed people to rate resturants in the area. This would also be a great place for softwear to use the geo-tagging applicaiton to locate whats available based on your location.
    06-20-2008 03:20 PM
    yes that's essentially the idea. i am developing a platform for a web based application for a user rating site tied into a numerical rating (think rotten tomatoes for everything) and we were thinking a good launching point might be using the new sdk to develop an app for maybe movies, restuarants and a few other things. not trying to get free advertising just trying to get everyone's opinons on such an app. appreciate any feedback.
    06-20-2008 03:30 PM
    I think something like this would be great. I would really like a nice application that allowed people to rate resturants in the area. This would also be a great place for softwear to use the geo-tagging applicaiton to locate whats available based on your location.
    I could bet someone will release something like that. It would be really helpful for big cities like Boston, NYC, or San Fran.
    06-20-2008 03:31 PM
    yes, it could be an interesting app if done the right way. I'd also like something related to the IMDB website
    06-20-2008 04:58 PM
    I wouldn't want to pay for a app that lets me rate movies so someone else could benefit from my opinions. That is ridiculous. If anything, they should pay me, not the other way around.
    06-20-2008 06:35 PM
    My recommendation: if you are developing this app, make it free. Unless there is an aspect that's hard to reproduce/innovative, someone else will build one and make it free; taking away any fame and fortune(from the fame) attached to your development. I'd be willing to pay for an app like this, but not if I can get it for free.

And the best price-point for any niche app(opposed to some major convenience app), like this is, is probably $.99. The problem is a lot of this info is available via the web, and people are cheap when it comes to small conveniences -- especially when there will be so many conveniences(apps) to choose from.
    06-20-2008 07:45 PM
    The only way I see making this app worth paying for is if there is some type of prize. Let's say you pay $1.99 for the app. Every time you rate a movie, provide a review, etc. you are entered into a weekly, monthly or whatever drawing to win free movie tickets. Something of that nature. It will provide a benefit for everyone.
    06-21-2008 09:40 AM
    we were leaning towards making it free, but that is an excellent idea about the prize. really interesting.
    06-22-2008 03:14 PM
    it could also be free by making it ad-supported. but who likes ads?
    06-22-2008 05:59 PM
    it could also be free by making it ad-supported. but who likes ads?
    Not me. Boooooo for ads. I use an ad-blocker for most of my browsing. I only disable it on sites I visit regularly or appreciate. The lack of flash ads really saves my bandwidth -- and my sanity.
    06-22-2008 06:56 PM
    Great, just another way to ruin a user experience.
    06-22-2008 10:15 PM
    no the mobile app would certainly not be driven by ads. it would be free to build brand awareness towards the online site.
    06-23-2008 09:34 AM
    So you thinking of a mobile app that ties in with their main website? That sounds like a good possibility. The main website could then serve the ads that would subsidize the cost of the mobile app.
    06-24-2008 03:26 PM
    correct on all accounts. mobile app as a free add on to generate buzz for online site, which will be more fully featured with more categories, text reviews, etc etc.
    06-24-2008 04:38 PM
    I would use something like this, but I don't think I would pay for it.
    06-25-2008 09:06 PM
    thanks for all the input guys.
    06-26-2008 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD