Apple patent points to plastic touch screens

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Apple patent points to plastic touch screens | iLounge News

I think this will definitely be incorporated into the next gen iPhone or a refresh of the iPod Touch. Maybe it is being tested and it will expand to other Apple products.

pet-touch-patent-1.jpg

Also looks like this is going to be incorporated into the current iPod line, maybe the Nano first (based on the patent photos).

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
One more thing... I think all the iPods will incorporate some type of touchscreen control. Ummm as for iMacs, Macbooks, Macbook Pros, that's uncertain for now. Waiting continues.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Could you imagine what this would cost in terms of price? I think it will certainly bring the cost of the device down. But it also brings the quality down. Hmm. I have the original iPhone so I'm set.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Apple has patented quite a few things that aren't coming in the 3G iPhone. I highly, highly doubt it will have a plastic face. Besides, if you want to be technical, the current iPhone has a plastic face. It is "optical glass" which is a super, super hard and scratch resistant plastic. (At least that is what I read somewhere)

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Apple has patented quite a few things that aren't coming in the 3G iPhone. I highly, highly doubt it will have a plastic face. Besides, if you want to be technical, the current iPhone has a plastic face. It is "optical glass" which is a super, super hard and scratch resistant plastic. (At least that is what I read somewhere)
Optical glass is not considered hard plastic, it is in fact glass. A glass that is absolutely flawless, completely transparent and can be ground to shape.

Source (University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia): Teachers' Guide: Optical Munitions Glossary Sheet

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Optical glass is not considered hard plastic, it is in fact glass. A glass that is absolutely flawless, completely transparent and can be ground to shape.

Source (University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia): Teachers' Guide: Optical Munitions Glossary Sheet

Well apparently what I read was wrong, lol. I still don't see them replacing the iPhone's screen with plastic though. Maybe future products and iPods, like you said.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
If it does in fact make it to the next gen iPods, it will make it cheaper to produce (they don't need the wheel or its associated components anymore). I wonder if they will reduce the price as well. Hmm, who knows.

alex.stef

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
my guess is that the plastic screen will be incorporated in the new iPods, but not in the iPod Touch and iPhone for the moment. maybe after a couple of years

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
We can probably expect a plastic screen if the price of the iPhone drops again. But yes, I definitely think it will make it into the next version of the iPod (except Touch).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW