Is anyone considering the Samsung Instinct over the IPhone ???

They are due out this Friday...
    06-18-2008 04:26 PM
    NOT AT ALL!!! i understand the hype behind the instinct but it really just doesnt compare.

If i was going to think about another phone to replace the iphone i might be looking in the direction of the NuviFone from Garmin, that thing looks like it could be a compeditor, with AMAZING GPS haha.
    06-18-2008 04:47 PM

The Instinct isn't even in the same realm as the iPhone.

The iPhone is more than just a touchscreen device with features. The Instinct is nothing more than a touchscreen device with features.

The iPhone really is a mobile computing platform. It is a breeding ground for amazing apps from games to business class stuff. The platform it presents pretty much guarantees a bright future through complete expandability.

The Instinct is not a platform. The Instinct is a regular old feature phone running a regular old feature phone OS.

Phones like the Instinct are proof positive that the other phone manufacturers just don't get it. They still harp on the fact that the iPhone is a touchscreen. They still try to "out feature" the iPhone. They really think that is all it is, and that is why they can't come close.

Until they realize that it is the user experience and the platform possibilities that make the iPhone so special, they will never beat it.
    06-18-2008 05:15 PM
    They also don't mention any of it's emailing capabilities or if they even exist.
    06-18-2008 06:43 PM
    psssshhh... have you read the reviews? Mossberg did a vid awhile ago, and he is from our part of the forest -- HUGE Apple fanboy -- so he understands the iPhone.

Put simply, the Instinct is a phone, not a smartphone. If phones had IQs, the iPhone would carry a 140(maybe the 3rd gen. will be a super genius?) and the Instinct would be as smart as a chimpanzee.

The Google OS might be the only thing that can compare(even though it looks they just rebuilt the iPhone OS). THAT, not the Instinct, is going to be a battle royal.
    06-18-2008 10:34 PM
    I would consider the Instinct if the iPhone wasn't out. The Instinct is a pretty cool phone, but it certainly doesn't compare with the iPhone, not even by a mile.
    06-18-2008 10:35 PM
    The question is whether the iPhone 3G will make the Instinct extinct?
    06-18-2008 10:51 PM

me? no way
    06-21-2008 04:59 PM
    Wow that was really corny.
    06-22-2008 10:22 PM
    The Instinct isn't even in the same realm as the iPhone.

The iPhone is more than just a touchscreen device with features. The Instinct is nothing more than a touchscreen device with features.

The iPhone really is a mobile computing platform. It is a breeding ground for amazing apps from games to business class stuff. The platform it presents pretty much guarantees a bright future through complete expandability.

The Instinct is not a platform. The Instinct is a regular old feature phone running a regular old feature phone OS.

Phones like the Instinct are proof positive that the other phone manufacturers just don't get it. They still harp on the fact that the iPhone is a touchscreen. They still try to "out feature" the iPhone. They really think that is all it is, and that is why they can't come close.

Until they realize that it is the user experience and the platform possibilities that make the iPhone so special, they will never beat it.
    Although I try really hard not to be an "Apple fanboy" I honestly agree with all the above. Go play with an Instinct, ehhh - OK, it has "features" and a touchscreen and some software. Which kinda does stuff. Then go play with an iPhone. And gee - everything just friggin' works. Plus the 3G hasn't gotten here yet or the software upgrade and 3rd party apps. I have an Imac at home and use Bootcamp to run XP for work applications which only work on IE6. Then finally get to go back to OS X when that garbage is over. How many times have I spent hours updating WinBlowz and getting my work laptop to work correctly? Don't want to think about it. How many hours getting my Mac to work correctly? Uh - one? Maybe 10 minutes to setup the WPA password for my home router, another 20 to get TimeCapsule up and running on an USB external drive and then copy my iTunes library and work files over so I can work on them via OpenOffice. Sorry - another 10 minutes for Camino (kick-*** browser IMHO and fixes 99% of Safari's pitfalls). Yeah - that's about it. Total maintenance time? Well - about 0 so far.
    Last edited by volsfan0911; 06-22-2008 at 11:18 PM.
    06-22-2008 11:16 PM
    No, the Instinct is a nice phone, but it ain't no iPhone.

I think Sprint made a big mistake trying to compare the Instinct with the iPhone, anyone who gets their hands on the Instinct will realize that its not even close! The biggest issue is probably the platform that the Instinct runs on, from what i've seen, it is much too carrier influenced.

The only real possible reason you could justify an Instinct over an iPhone is if AT&T absolutely does not work in your area. Other than that, Sprint is a failing business that might not even exist within the lifetime of your contract..
    06-23-2008 05:10 AM
    I think Samsung's biggest mistake was spending so much time marketing and competing against the 1st gen iPhone, while ignoring the upcoming 3G iPhone with firmware 2.0.

It's like they are fighting the past and ignoring the future...
    06-23-2008 12:11 PM
    A coworker of mine bought an Instinct over the weekend. I saw it this morning. It's a pretty cool phone. Lot's a features. But it's no iPhone. Not sure if the screen was turned down but it was not very bright. Virtual keyboard was responsive. The browser was not full web. Just text. He mentioned that it had two modes full and simple (that is not the official terminology) browser. I just saw the simple. Didn't get a chance to play with the messaging or calendar.

If the iPhone did not exist this may be an option, but more investigation is needed.
    06-23-2008 12:26 PM
    It's actually better than I expected...

Samsung Instinct vs. iPhone 2G | The iPhone Blog
    06-23-2008 01:47 PM
    It doesn't look that bad, if Samsung made it avaliable readily to more carriers then a consideration might happen on my part.
    06-23-2008 06:04 PM

the review is great. I loved it. but I still prefere the iPhone. the screen is bigger, the menu is nicer and... well, it's from Apple
    06-23-2008 07:39 PM

Good review. I was never one to say the Instinct is a bad phone, just that it isn't in the same class as the iPhone. There is a one word reason... Platform.
    06-23-2008 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD