Teathering?

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I was reading the "no teathering" article. I didn't know there was a app for teathering via the iPhone. Can someone show me the light How would I teather?

Thanks

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Better question to ask is why would you tether to get access to Edge? Ugh. I have a samsung blackjack (1st gen) that I use for tethering on the road that has 3G and it works reasonably well most places.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
This is a big deal. I read an article earlier saying we could tether and was super DUPER excited. But I guess it was wrong.

We'll have to jailbreak to get this functionality. The funny thing is people would pay for this -- and then ATT could prevent some hacking.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Better question to ask is why would you tether to get access to Edge? Ugh. I have a samsung blackjack (1st gen) that I use for tethering on the road that has 3G and it works reasonably well most places.
I guess the only reason that you would want to tether on EDGE is because you absolutely need to check something in full screen view? I don't know. The iPhone certainly already displays the entire web, albeit slow, but still. Hmmm... maybe you need to e-mail a document right away.

igneous

May 30, 2008
Visit site
This is a big deal. I read an article earlier saying we could tether and was super DUPER excited. But I guess it was wrong.

We'll have to jailbreak to get this functionality. The funny thing is people would pay for this -- and then ATT could prevent some hacking.

yeah, at this point I see jailbreaking the new phone as being very necessary. I need to be able to copy/paste and tether like I do on my WM phone

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Don't know much about the way the SDK works for developers, it is possible that people can use that to be working on the JB already, or do you need hardware in hand to accomplish?

joshboldman

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, this would be a life saver. I currently have a sprint mobile broadband card for my laptop that costs $60/month. How awesome would it be to be able to tether the iphone 3g? Here's to hoping that someone figures it out.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
My bet is it will be like the soup nazi:

NO TETHERING FOR YOU!

AT&T has been pretty hard on tethering, and although they supposedly could technically tether, neither my Blackjack nor Tilt was very successful I did get the Blackjack to connect to my notebook a few times, but it drained the battery in a flash because it wouldn't daw power form the USB port while tethered. You'd literally get to surf for 20-30 minutes and then have to disconnect and charge the Blackjack battery.

sterling

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Tethering is one of the biggest reasons I'm going to be purchasing an Iphone; I used to tether my BlackJack II and its 3g speed was awesome, better than my apartment DSL that I was paying $40/mnth for.(Strangely enough, speed was much better when I tethered the BlackJack, which ran Windows Mobile, to my macbook than to my windows vista business notebook)

Here's to hoping we get Iphone 3g tethering figured out soon =/

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
I'm actually planning to drop my USB EVDO modem along with my Treo next week when I get my new iPhone 3G. I believe I'll be able to get done what I need to get done on the iPhone, so the wireless broadband card will just be redundant and at $60 per month I won't be able to justify it anymore. If tethering is made available I may look into it, but I honestly don't think I'll need it. I'll probably end up leaving my MBP at home more often than I do now since I'll have the iPhone, thus there won't be anything to tether it to!

hobyphone

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You know what's pathetic, is that I had a crappy Audiovox phone with Verizon back in 02-04, and that thing could tether. It was free (minus a one-time fee for a tethering pack). It could also voice-dial. Now they charge extra for all this stuff. Not to get off topic, but does anyone else think that it's absolutely ridiculous that a service provider can charge for voice-dialing? What does that have to do with their network at all? It's a phone feature. It's amazing that they get away with stuff like this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices