iPhones can't be given as gifts

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
So engadget has an article up where they talked with an at&t rep who said that you cannot give the iPhone 3g as a gift without activating it in the store. So much for the holiday season I guess you won't see many iPhone boxes under the tree then. Also I'm wondering just how tipb is going to be getting the winner of the "win an iPhone 3G" contest out to the winner. :p

I'm sure they will think of something

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I guess the concept of At&t gift cards, Apple gift cards, or those gift cards with the credit card logos on them never crossed your mind?

I have personally decided to not listen to anything else said by a "rep" at any point in time. I am waiting until At&t or Apple releases the final press statement citing the cost, activation procedure, and any other fine points that are currently being debated all too much.

It is just too headache inducing to continue the way it is going...

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I guess the concept of At&t gift cards, Apple gift cards, or those gift cards with the credit card logos on them never crossed your mind?

Oh no it did but apple doesn't allow you to purchase an iPhone with anything other than a credit card. That very much put a damper on me buying my wife one from apple last Christmas for her present ( she checks the CC staments and pays the bill bi weekly and would have noticed). In the end she got one and has enjoyed it sense:)

Also they interviewed an at&t spokesman so it was someone from Corp. not just a store rep. As those guys dont know anymore than you are I at this point.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I just want to say that I didn't mean to sound condescending with my initial statement. The rest is just my way of coping with frustration, lol.

Anyway... I believe all you have to do is put at least 1 dollar on a credit card, the rest can be cash or gift cards. I also think those gift cards with the credit card logos count as well.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
What about the news about AT&T penalizing people who don't activate their phones in 30 days? That could have something to do with people taking their iPhone home partially activated.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Not sure. I do have one thing to say though...

I would like to thank the entire unlocking community for causing these headaches for the rest of us that followed the rules. We really appreciate it...

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Not sure. I do have one thing to say though...

I would like to thank the entire unlocking community for causing these headaches for the rest of us that followed the rules. We really appreciate it...
I second that. I understand why people unlock phones and I understand why people would want a phone locked to one carrier. But to everyone that unlocked phones: what a way to screw the rest of us. And now you are getting screwed too.

inertialnav

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Apple needs to be careful here. If getting access to the product is a pain, people won't get access to the product.

Also, what percentage of unlocked iPhones are actually here in America? I get that Apple wants to control things here, but Europeans and Asians ain't gonna go for it.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The problem isn't the activation process, it's the activation process coupled with lines of hundreds of people. If this was a normal phone, like the BlackBerry Bold, that wouldn't have lines around the block, I wouldn't give the activation a second thought.

The problem is that people will be going in droves to get this thing on launch day and the few days after.

America is the only one going through such hassles as far as I know.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
The problem isn't the activation process, it's the activation process coupled with lines of hundreds of people. If this was a normal phone, like the BlackBerry Bold, that wouldn't have lines around the block, I wouldn't give the activation a second thought.

The problem is that people will be going in droves to get this thing on launch day and the few days after.

This is extremely true. We're going to see lines everywhere. If anyone lives in NY and remembers the line for the first iphone. Try to imagine the line that is going to be created for the release for this phone, and the amount of time that its going to take for every single person to get activated. They are going ot need to hire 50 extra people and pull out extra comptuers just to be able to process the lines throughout the day. I want coverage on this stuff. Maybe the blog can set up something so we can send in pictures of the lines, and show how crazy the release is going to be.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I mean it makes a lot of sense. This whole activation thing is going to be a huge bottleneck. I hope in the next few days more information about the process comes out. I want something solid and not just speculation.

patput

Jun 25, 2008
www.mwpbooks.com
Maybe people will decide to wait a little while before getting this iphone. Obviously not the people here, but normal people:)

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the iphone blog podcast mentioned the problem about in-store activation, i think at least. they said they would probably send you money in some form.
again, foggy memory..

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Anyway... I believe all you have to do is put at least 1 dollar on a credit card, the rest can be cash or gift cards. I also think those gift cards with the credit card logos count as well.

Anyway to confirm this to be true? Just asking because I want to do this! Thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711