$199 and $299? Maybe not for you! Read on...

garrettmarvel

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat w/o a paddle - i'm 7mo in my contract, and me want 3GS!!!

has there been any news or rumors on if AT&T is going to make it right an let us upgrade too?

I'm fine w/putting mine on ebay to offset upgrade cost, but i don't want AT&T to soon after permit the upgrade and I'm out the $200 difference I could have netted.

any thoughts/news/rumors out there?

garrett

Well, I thought that that the $199/$299 was firm but guess again.

I would have thought that just like last time ANYONE was free to buy a new iPhone and renew a contract even in your initial contract wasn't up.

I really don't want to renew a contact AGAIN but I am a current iPhone user and 9 months into my "new" contract.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
At only 7 months in to a 2 year contract, you've only fulfilled 29% of your commitment in return for the subsidy of $400 they gave you on your last iPhone.
So giving you another for $200, at $400 subsidy means $800 in subsidies for a 24+7 month period of service.

That $200 additional cost is, in fact, to buy you your last 2 year contract which you haven't paid back.

Now, as you may know, people who pay over $99 are given upgrades every 12 months. $69-$99, about every 18 months, and below $69 you're at 21 months.

It would make more sense if AT&T pro-rated the subsidy on an early upgrade. Say you're 7 months in on an 18 month upgrade cycle, well just give you the iPhone for $199 + ($200/18*(8-7)) = $199+$100. That would seem fair, to pay $100 more for being nearly 1/2 way through your upgrade eligibility period.
For whatever reason the early upgrade fee is flat, however. And I'm not convinced the phone is really $600 to start with. I personally thing $200 is gouging, especially considering the ETF on canceling is $175-Pro rated.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like I'm defending AT&T. If anything the irritation is in the way the price is advertised, as $199. It's not. It should be advertised as $599, or $199 for new activations and qualified upgrades.

I wanted the new iPhone, I paid $200 more because I'm 11 months in to a 21 month upgrade period. And I didn't like it. But I knew buying the iPhone 3G was a 2 year commitment, not a 1 year commitment. If I want to upgrade early, I have to pay the price.
My wife's line is over $99, so she was a few weeks from her upgrade. AT&T moved it up a few weeks for her which was nice.

Last edited:

garrettmarvel

May 6, 2009
Visit site
taylor - clearly you are able to lauch a rocket into space with all that magic and mathematical wizardry, and kudos to you for that... I just want the 3GS, and I want it now!!!

hahaha-just playing... I do want to the 3GS, cause I use it for video with cycorder and badly want the better recording capabilities. you're argument is totally fair, and I would agree to that formulae: i think though that after the 2G users got the upgrade it should be available to us 3Gers too, much less my girlfriend got the 3G 2mo ago and has no chance of upgrading either.

has anyone started a facebook group or twitter group or campaign to harass AT&T to giving us a better deal?

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
The thing that gets me is I paid full price-$499-for my 3G in December because I was 11 months into my contract with a Blackberry Curve. Even tho' I received zero subsidy from ATT then, I STILL am not eligible for subsidized pricing on the 3GS.

garrettmarvel

May 6, 2009
Visit site
ufff - $499, that's rough...

does anyone know if when you do choose to upgrade the phone, do you turn in your existing 3G or do you get to keep it? ie. if you keep it you have a nice ipod and app machine, right? or one can ebay it for some cash to offest 3GS upgrade cost...

anyone know if the 3G must be relinquished upon upgrade?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Why would it have to be relinquished? You paid for it, it is your phone to do as you wish with. How do you think all these phones pop up on eBay if u have to return them?

garrettmarvel

May 6, 2009
Visit site
also - do you think if you buy the 3GS now at $399 and AT&T lowers price for 3G users in the coming month if they would kickback the $200 like they did for 2G to 3G users last year? am i dreaming? i'm on fence about buying it this weekend cause i'm in Delaware, so no sales tax saves me $35 minimum over NY sales tax 8%!!!

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
You can keep your 3G when you upgrade to 3GS. A friend of mine gave her old 3G to her daughter to use an an iTouch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2