So eventhough im extremely excited that the iphone came out today and theres so much that is changing and I cant wait to get my hands on the phone, WHAT ABOUT THE CAMERA! i think its really sad that a device like this isnt going to have a nice camera. The photo software that comes with the iphone is amazing, and for them not to take a few extra $ and upgrade the camera is a shame.
    06-09-2008 04:18 PM
    I was hoping for a camera upgrade but it won't stop me from buying one.
    06-09-2008 04:19 PM
    I actually think the phone software sucks. No zoom (not even digital zoom), it's laggy, it's hard to use with one hand, it doesn't allow you to annotate the photos in any way, etc.
    06-09-2008 04:24 PM
    I actually think the phone software sucks. No zoom (not even digital zoom), it's laggy, it's hard to use with one hand, it doesn't allow you to annotate the photos in any way, etc.
    Someone will develop an app to do more while taking pictures.
    06-09-2008 04:29 PM
    Yup no camera update. Looks like their is geotagging, but that is a software update, oh well. At least their is something new that is camera related.
    06-09-2008 04:30 PM
    @ cmaier, I think you meant that you think the camera software sucks. In any event, I don't really care about the camera. A 2.0 MP camera is fine for a phone. I have a nice Canon for taking real pictures. The camera on the phone will do in a pinch.
    06-09-2008 04:30 PM
    A 2mp camera blows and it doesn't look like they improved the hardware at all. However, as above, it's not a deal breaker for me and I'll buy one anyway. Truly amazed that they didn't add video capability but we'll see what the 3rd part folks crank out.
    06-09-2008 04:31 PM
    yep, meant "camera."
    06-09-2008 04:39 PM
    it looks like there are some third party apps that will allow video recording.

http://www.iphonevideorecorder.com/
    06-09-2008 08:36 PM
    Yes, I have to agree that it sucks that the camera did not get updated. But that being said it probably takes better pictures than my 700wx. I'm still excited about getting the phone. My holdup was Exchange support and 802.1x support and both of does are a done deal, so the camera I can live with.

32 days and counting. Maybe TiPB can have a countdown timer on the front page.
    Last edited by hermdog; 06-09-2008 at 08:39 PM.
    06-09-2008 08:37 PM
    Not too big of a deal for me. I would have preferred a better lens and some software upgrades, but I will live. There are other issues that are concerning me far more than the camera...
    06-09-2008 08:44 PM
    Camera won't be front facing, right?
    06-09-2008 08:55 PM
    Camera won't be front facing, right?
    Right. Camera is the same as the original iPhone (on the back).
    06-09-2008 09:52 PM
    I was hoping for a better camera as well. I was very hopeful that it would be an improved capability because I figured Apple would want to have more things that are best-in-class. At least they have geotagging now..
    06-09-2008 11:34 PM
    It's not a deal breaker for me, but it's definitely a let down
    06-10-2008 02:07 PM
    Does anyone know what the highest megapixels available for a camera for a phone is? Like Apple has a 2mgpxl camera, what are other manufacturers putting out?
    06-10-2008 08:40 PM
    Does anyone know what the highest megapixels available for a camera for a phone is? Like Apple has a 2mgpxl camera, what are other manufacturers putting out?
    there are plenty of phones with 5MP cameras
    06-10-2008 09:27 PM
    there are plenty of phones with 5MP cameras
    What phone? I wonder why Apple didn't do this as well. Probably would have made it too expensive and too draining on the battery.
    06-10-2008 09:52 PM
    Well on the front page, the iPhone Blog's hands on said this about the camera:
    "Camera software improved, same megapixels, better images."

We'll see how it looks!
    06-10-2008 10:42 PM
    I rarely take pictures with my phone simply because I've never had one with a decent camera so not a deal breaker for me. But, it does suck just on general principles - another WTF? on Apple's part. Not being able to send them via MMS is just pathetic.
    06-11-2008 07:53 AM
    Better images... hmmm. I wonder how that is going to work.
    06-11-2008 10:49 AM
    Found this interesting article on iPhone Alley on why the iPhone's camera stayed as a 2mgpxl camera: Why More Megapixels In The iPhone's Camera Would Hurt, Not Help - iPhone Alley

One of the things that a phone's camera needs to be able to do is to capture a sharp image, regardless of how close or far it is from the thing it's taking the picture of. There are a few ways to do this. You can either make a smaller opening for light to pass through in front of the camera, or you can change what is considered "sharp".

Because the iPhone's camera uses a 2 megapixel sensor, the image it captures only needs to be sharp enough to seem sharp for that size. So, for a 2 megapixel camera, it does pretty well at a wide range of distances and light conditions.

If they were to take a 5mp sensor and put it in the same camera, then two problems would arise. First, since the camera makes higher resolution images, differences in distance would be much more noticeable. The N95 gets around that by having an autofocusing lens, but as a result, it's nearly twice as thick as the iPhone 3G. The iPhone's camera doesn't have an autofocus (hence this crazy contraption.)

Also, in order to fit more of those sensors into the camera, they often shrink them down to a smaller size. As a result, each of those little sensors is getting a smaller amount of light. If you're familiar with photography, then you probably realize that less light that gets to the sensors, the more you risk having some sensors underdeveloped, especially in low light conditions like at night.
    Makes sense to me. Apple is probably working on a workaround.
    06-19-2008 06:22 PM
    ^ interesting point of view and I totally agree. but I still would like a better camera along with default video recording.
    06-20-2008 05:50 PM
    Yeah a lot of people want video recording. Maybe the next iteration of the phone or the next software update. Who knows. It is all a waiting game.
    06-20-2008 06:32 PM
    There will be dozens of 3rd party apps for video recording.
    06-20-2008 06:38 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD