View Poll Results: How long until the first 3G iPhone will be unlocked?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Day

1 9.09%
  • 1 Week

4 36.36%
  • 1 Month

5 45.45%
  • 3 Months

1 9.09%
    Something to promote creative thinking on the release day of the new phone!
    06-09-2008 04:12 PM
    I'm thinking more than a week, less than a month. I hope they can't crack it though.
    06-09-2008 04:22 PM
    Not 100% sure on this, but hasn't 2.0 beta be pwned already?
    06-09-2008 08:47 PM
    The phone is no longer activated via iTunes at home. This will make unlocking a whole helluva lot harder.
    06-09-2008 09:04 PM
    The phone is no longer activated via iTunes at home. This will make unlocking a whole helluva lot harder.
    So if you have to activate it through at&t does that mean that all the people who buy it at apple will have to then walk it over to at&t or call them up to activate it? Did I miss something where did you hear that it wont be activated through iTunes? I guess I just assumed that it would be business as usual on our end. I could be totally off though. If so yet another disapointment today is.

I'm thinking more than a week, less than a month. I hope they can't crack it though.
    WHY would you not want this to be cracked/hacked??? If they do I'm hoping that there would be a way to activate it and then just slip your current iphone sim card in and BOOM no more $10 a month increase in data plan or ANOTHER 2 year contract.
    Last edited by burnsaa; 06-09-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    06-09-2008 09:27 PM
    So if you have to activate it through at&t does that mean that all the people who buy it at apple will have to then walk it over to at&t or call them up to activate it? Did I miss something where did you hear that it wont be activated through iTunes? I guess I just assumed that it would be business as usual on our end. I could be totally off though. If so yet another disapointment today is.
    Gizmodo link about new iPhone activation
    06-09-2008 09:33 PM
    Unfortunately Truedat!
    06-09-2008 09:39 PM
    It doesnt matter how hard it is, someone somewhere is already working on hacking it.
    06-09-2008 10:54 PM
    I think it will be a bit 1-2 months. Sounds like iPhone 1.0 just became worth more to those who are looking to use it on another carrier.
    06-10-2008 01:21 AM
    Firmware 2.0 has been pwn'd using the PWNAGE tool for mac. iPhone 3G will be running firmware 2.0..so I guess my answer is, its unlocked already?

Or maybe I'm simply forgetting...been a long day!
    06-10-2008 03:32 AM
    Firmware 2.0 has been pwn'd using the PWNAGE tool for mac. iPhone 3G will be running firmware 2.0..so I guess my answer is, its unlocked already?

Or maybe I'm simply forgetting...been a long day!
    I would love to find the quote and copy & paste it into this post but alas I'm using an iPhone. Anyways there is a quote from someone on the pwnage team saying something like the only way apple will get around this is by releasing a new piece of hardware. Now I think I read somewhere today that apple come out with something new today... What was it... Oh ya the new IPHONE. So our only hope is that apple didn't find out what it was and plug the hole so to speak. But I'm guessing the chances of that are about as good as apple putting cut & paste into the next version or mms for that matter.
    06-10-2008 04:37 AM
    I would love to find the quote and copy & paste it into this post but alas I'm using an iPhone. Anyways there is a quote from someone on the pwnage team saying something like the only way apple will get around this is by releasing a new piece of hardware. Now I think I read somewhere today that apple come out with something new today... What was it... Oh ya the new IPHONE. So our only hope is that apple didn't find out what it was and plug the hole so to speak. But I'm guessing the chances of that are about as good as apple putting cut & paste into the next version or mms for that matter.
    So if this is the case. That would mean that the original iPhone will be able to have an unlocked and jailbroken 2.0 software. Which I think has been done already. And will have to stay tuned for the iPhone 3G.
    06-10-2008 07:09 AM
    My 1.0 iPhone is now worth more......I hope
    06-10-2008 12:09 PM
    I'm going to say within a week. Unlocking the iPhone has become a serious hacker's challenge.

I don't really know what advantages unlocking it would bring now -- given the app store and on-site activation -- but maybe there is an advantage.
    06-10-2008 12:54 PM
    I'm going to say within a week. Unlocking the iPhone has become a serious hacker's challenge.

I don't really know what advantages unlocking it would bring now -- given the app store and on-site activation -- but maybe there is an advantage.
    One advantage would be you could activate it then use it with your old iPhone data plan saving you $120 a year. That right there would give me incentive to unlock it.

Who knew we would unlock it and use it on AT&T.

I dont know that is just a theory though we will have to wait and see.
    06-10-2008 01:05 PM
    One advantage would be you could activate it then use it with your old iPhone data plan saving you $120 a year. That right there would give me incentive to unlock it.

Who knew we would unlock it and use it on AT&T.

I dont know that is just a theory though we will have to wait and see.
    The problem is they obligate all existing customers to sign a new contract, activating "on-site" only. Wouldn't you effectively be paying for a more expensive data, yet using a less expensive one(albeit a technological equivalent)?

I guess you could sign the contract, terminate it, then unlock it, saving $10 a month. But I think the termination fee kind of negates the advantage. Let me know if I'm missing something, but you can't get the iPhone 3G without a "iPhone 3G contract."
    06-10-2008 01:18 PM
    I dont think it will take them that long. Especially since the newer firmware is already available to look at, and its really not that much different from the last one.
    06-10-2008 02:11 PM
    The problem is they obligate all existing customers to sign a new contract, activating "on-site" only. Wouldn't you effectively be paying for a more expensive data, yet using a less expensive one(albeit a technological equivalent)?

I guess you could sign the contract, terminate it, then unlock it, saving $10 a month. But I think the termination fee kind of negates the advantage. Let me know if I'm missing something, but you can't get the iPhone 3G without a "iPhone 3G contract."
    That is why you buy it from someone in the UK off ebay or something. If AT&T is going to try and lock this thing down even harder than last time I think they are going to get a rude awakening especially now that apple doesn't have to worry about keeping them "locked" because they won't lose money on unlocked ones.
    06-10-2008 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD