Does Eyetv allow you to watch live tv or is it just items that you have recorded and saved to your mac?

I was hoping it allowed you to watch live tv. I don't have a windose computer to take advantage of Orb.

thanks
    06-07-2008 07:08 PM
    From my brief and probably dated experience with EyeTV, I believe you can watch live tv. Were you interested in watching TV through your Mac? Or were you hoping for an iPhone enabled client?

What I'm more interested in is Slingbox. I've heard from multiple friends that THAT is a magical device. I'm thinking if they ever port to that the iPhone..whoo wee!
    06-08-2008 01:15 AM
    I'm pretty sure some developer somewhere is working on an iPhone app that allows you to watch live TV. With wi-fi and 3G access, there should be little to no lag in video playback. This would be cool because you can watch any programs you want and not limit yourself to whatever you have stored on the device.
    06-08-2008 01:49 AM
    The EyeTV software together with compatible hardware allows you to watch live TV on a Mac, record TV programs, stream recordings, pause live etc. It can export recordings to iTunes and you can sync them to an iPhone, iPod or Apple TV from there.

We have the Elgato DTT stick plugged into a roof aerial and an iMac. Both the DTT stick and the EyeTV software (which ships with the hardware) are very high quality products and I'd strongly recommend that anyone with a Mac check them out:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato.en.html
    06-08-2008 06:45 AM
    I know about the live tv option on the Mac side. But, I am wondering if it is Slingbox like. Meaning can you watch live tv on the iPhone/iPod Touch, program and record tv shows from the device side?

I guess it doesn't matter. Sling is on its way. w00t.
    06-09-2008 12:39 AM
    You can control your remote in slingbox via their media player. It's a very slick interface, to say the least
    06-09-2008 12:42 AM
    I know about the live tv option on the Mac side. But, I am wondering if it is Slingbox like. Meaning can you watch live tv on the iPhone/iPod Touch, program and record tv shows from the device side?
    You can't watch live TV on an iPhone but recording on a Mac can be set up via the web and would probably work with iPhone Safari (I haven't tried it).

I guess it doesn't matter. Sling is on its way. w00t.
    MacRumors says Sling Media isn't accepted into the Developer Program yet, so unfortunately it will be a while.
    06-09-2008 03:03 AM
    No on the live TV. From my experience, I've had and EyeTV 250 since January, EyeTV lets you record a program and then it has to convert it for wireless use. It can also export for use on an iPod or Apple TV but that is a separate procedure although they can be automated. After that conversion it can be accessed from the iPhone on your local network as long as you enable the EyeTV web server. I believe it can also be set up to access over the Internet too but I have not tried that.
    06-09-2008 03:06 AM
    Anyone try getting Eyetv to work over 3G or is is still wifi only?

I just thought maybe it was a network limitation. thx
    07-29-2008 02:28 PM
    check this out for real live TV streaming (still beta):

web.me.com/cricripoka/Site/CYTV4iPhone.html
    09-09-2008 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD