Everybody on this forum knows Apple or at least has an idea of what kind of company Apple is.

For those who don't, I'm sure all us Apple users can agree that: They take their time putting out their products. But when they do, it is extremely polished and VERY user friendly. In layman's terms: They're late to the party, but when they arrive, they are the life of it.

So my question is, do you guys think Video Conferencing on a phone is currently viable in the United States? I know its a pretty big deal in Japan and other markets but I've yet to see great execution on that front in the US. Am I forgetting about a phone that does this, if so feel free to kindly remind me.

I mean Apple was the company that didn't put out 3G in the original iPhone because of power consumption concerns and 3G network availability. Do we really think Apple would throw in video conferencing, when the technology hasn't truly matured?
    06-07-2008 06:53 AM
    Video conferencing won't be a drain on power in the same way 3G is. If Apple themselves have a polished video conferencing suite ready to go, I can definitely see them putting it in. If At&t takes awhile to catch up, that is all well and good; Apple will be ready when they do.

I honestly think that including the ability to video conference is 100% independent of the state of video conferencing on At&t, or in the US as a whole. Again, that is assuming Apple's own application for it is polished.
    06-07-2008 10:20 AM
    The only problem I have with the video conferencing app is I don't know enough people who have iPhones to make this app useful. But by all means, they should add as much as possible and I'm sure I will use it one day.
    06-07-2008 11:03 AM
    If Apple can make video conferencing in iChat, there's no big hurdle to move it over to the iPhone. Also, the only part AT&T plays in this is having a reliable 3G network to transmit audio and video to and from the phone simultaneously. If there's enough bandwidth to run video conferencing on 3G networks in other countries, there's no reason why it wouldn't work here.
    06-07-2008 11:12 AM
    AT&T will probably use the 3G iPhone as their 'flagship' video conferencing device, using it to really introduce this new service as easy and viable. They currently only offer one-way 'video share', and I think the iPhone would be the perfect vehicle to introduce real video conferencing to the masses. However, I believe they'll need to keep the price for the service low if they expect it to really catch on. After the iPhone, expect a flood of phones that can video conference.
    06-07-2008 12:38 PM
    I think that is why the 3G service from Att has been so up and down the pass month. I think they were boosting things up for the iPhone........ Apple doesn't like to fail.
    I think more than likely video confrencing will be announced at least on Monday June 9th
    06-07-2008 01:34 PM
    No it won't.
    06-07-2008 04:34 PM
    How many other phones out there even have video conferencing right now? Not many I'm sure, so I doubt this will affect many people that aren't issued the phone through their business.... unless I'm just in an area where only a small percentage of people own iPhones.
    06-07-2008 06:12 PM
    The only problem I have with the video conferencing app is I don't know enough people who have iPhones to make this app useful. But by all means, they should add as much as possible and I'm sure I will use it one day.
    What I see happening is you'll not only be able to video chat with other people that have iPhones but also people using iChat too.
    This would also give Apple a good reason to release iChat on Windows.
    Last edited by Reaktor5; 06-07-2008 at 07:59 PM.
    06-07-2008 06:19 PM
    i dont think it is up to par. i have tried video share through at&t and its choppy and not clear enough for apple to say they would pull that under the wing
    06-07-2008 07:11 PM
    There won't be a front-facing camera.
    06-07-2008 10:55 PM
    There won't be a front-facing camera.
    What makes you say that? I think there will be a front facing camera. How else will you accomplish video conferencing. This will suck for long conferences. I will hate to hold my phone up to my face for an extended amount of time.
    06-08-2008 03:00 PM
    That's my point; there won't be video conferencing because there won't be a front-facing camera. I base that primarily on gut feel, and on the fact that the SDK betas don't seem capable of coping with two cameras. I would say, though, that at least this is a possibility, unlike some of the other rumors going around.
    06-08-2008 03:44 PM
    I'm on par with the TiPb predictions saying there will be a front facing camera for video conferencing but only be available in the markets that use it a lot now, like Europe and japan. Then when At&t and apple can iron out the kinks, they'll debut it for the US. I just don't think our bandwidth (even 3G) is capable of seamless video conferencing yet.

maybe using iChat over wifi, i'll hope
    06-08-2008 11:52 PM
    I dont think its fast enough to run mobile chat like that.
    06-08-2008 11:55 PM
    I've never use this type of feature on any other phones but my best guess is that no. Video conferencing is not ready for prime time on the iPhone. I don't believe there will be a front facing camera on the iPhone. Doesn't mean some third party app won't try but you'll probably have to turn the phone around and won't be able to see who you are talking to. Maybe they can sell a mirror package to go along with that could allow you to see the front of the phone while you talked into the back. na, I don't think so.
    06-09-2008 03:16 AM
    There have been other video conferencing capable phones available in Europe for a while. Unfortunately, it just hasn't caught on yet and no, I don't think the concept is ready for prime time yet. As someone else posted, there probably won't be a front facing camera on the new iPhone. Although we'll find out for sure in about 5 hours.
    06-09-2008 08:40 AM
    Sounds like it would be a cool thing to have, but unless it's high quality signal, the novelty of it would wear off pretty quick. Good for phone "relations" though.. hehe.
    06-09-2008 01:04 PM
    Told ya.

06-09-2008 02:49 PM
    Told ya.

Good call, sir.
    06-09-2008 02:50 PM
    I think video conferencing should be reserved for much more business centric phones. Even then I would be pretty loath to want one for work, I like hiding!
    06-09-2008 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD