iPhone Distribution Ready: Boxed and Waiting?

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
So we have rumor sites posting some interesting things. From MacRumors, we have some pictures via Forbes showing label-free boxes at Apple's distributor. (They are right next to the iMacs, which are in the white boxes to the left.)
SEE HERE: Quanta's Distribution Center

Then we also have an Apple box at an Australian reseller with the warning: "Subject to terms of NDA, Do Not Open Until Tuesday June 10th, 2008"
SEE HERE:Australian Box with NDA

What does it all mean? ...It means that we need to hire some ninjas daring enough to see what is inside those boxes. Unfortunately, the failing economy has made us short on ninjas. You know, espionage thrives in such environments.

But seriously, if I still lived in the Bay Area I would have been arrested days ago for trespassing.

IS IT THEM?! OUR BABIES?!

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm still confident the iPhone will be widely available on Monday. This is just one shipment, I'm sure more has gone out before and after those pictures were taken.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
No way they will be for sale on Monday first off didn't AT&T send out that memo saying no vacations from the 6/12 - 7/15 or something like that it definetly wasn't next Monday. Next apple will want to build some more media hype before selling it.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
No way they will be for sale on Monday first off didn't AT&T send out that memo saying no vacations from the 6/12 - 7/15 or something like that it definetly wasn't next Monday. Next apple will want to build some more media hype before selling it.

The At&t vacation thing could be coincidence, just like it could be a ploy propagated by Apple due to what happened last year.

Apple has more free hype surrounding this thing than they could ever have hoped for. They are a business, and a business needs to sell product to turn a profit. Apple is a margin loving company that hasn't been selling iPhones for a good while now; I highly doubt they want to prolong it a few more weeks while spending money on an ad campaign.

I can guarantee you that the targeted demographic of the 3G iPhone is the techies and the prosumers that knew to hold off on the first gen effort. These are people that have known this thing was going to come since the day after the original launch. They are the ones that have regularly followed the blogosphere for rumors and such. They are the ones that will buy it without the need for funky commercials with soothing music.

I am not saying that Apple won't run a huge ad campaign to attract the casual crowds, but the casual crowds don't understand the feature upgrades like the prosumer/techie crowd does. The people that are going to give them the most bang for the buck on this thing are the ones that already know about it, and are the ones that are opt to move along to something else should the wait get stupid. I am not bold enough to say that I guarantee we will be able to buy it on Monday or Tuesday, but I do think it is a very real possibility. If there is a wait, I can't see it going past 1-2 weeks.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Yup AT&T did say this, but I guess I am hoping for a sooner release than last time. Last year it was just a pain waiting and waiting for it to be release. But the waiting just made me want it more, so well played Apple, well played.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site

I second that.

And, sites are saying the boxed phone with the NDA is fake now. However, I don't doubt those are them at the distribution center. I imagine retailers and reseller will be getting them a few days in advance.

I want it now!

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
The At&t vacation thing could be coincidence, just like it could be a ploy propagated by Apple due to what happened last year.

Apple has more free hype surrounding this thing than they could ever have hoped for. They are a business, and a business needs to sell product to turn a profit. Apple is a margin loving company that hasn't been selling iPhones for a good while now; I highly doubt they want to prolong it a few more weeks while spending money on an ad campaign.

I can guarantee you that the targeted demographic of the 3G iPhone is the techies and the prosumers that knew to hold off on the first gen effort. These are people that have known this thing was going to come since the day after the original launch. They are the ones that have regularly followed the blogosphere for rumors and such. They are the ones that will buy it without the need for funky commercials with soothing my

I am not saying that Apple won't run a huge ad campaign to attract the casual crowds, but the casual crowds don't understand the feature upgrades like the prosumer/techie crowd does. The people that are going to give them the most bang for the buck on this thing are the ones that already know about it, and are the ones that are opt to move along to something else should the wait get stupid. I am not bold enough to say that I guarantee we will be able to buy it on Monday or Tuesday, but I do think it is a very real possibility. If there is a wait, I can't see it going past 1-2 weeks.

I think your wrong here apple is not looking to sell these to the prosumers they are actually targeting normal everyday people who dont use smartphones. That is why they will announce it let the media freak out about it while running an ad campaign then release it I'm guessing probably sometime right at the end of the month like the 23-27. I also think this is when we will see the firmware upgrade. I hope I am proven wrong but I doubt it. Apple learned from the last release to announce it and let the media do the advertising / hype building although this time they can't wait 6 months.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Problem with that theory is that the entire time between the announcement and availability is time apple will sell no phones (other than pre-orders).

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I think your wrong here apple is not looking to sell these to the prosumers they are actually targeting normal everyday people who dont use smartphones. That is why they will announce it let the media freak out about it while running an ad campaign then release it I'm guessing probably sometime right at the end of the month like the 23-27. I also think this is when we will see the firmware upgrade. I hope I am proven wrong but I doubt it. Apple learned from the last release to announce it and let the media do the advertising / hype building although this time they can't wait 6 months.

I said I see them running a huge ad campaign to attract the casual crowd. I have no doubt that the ultimate marketing target is the casual crowd. I am just saying that the initial crowd is going to be the prosumers and techies. The casual crowd isn't the one stirring the hype. The casual crowd that doesn't understand the difference between EDGE and 3G isn't going to be as likely to upgrade. The casual crowd isn't the one blowing up sites like this on a daily basis.

The casual chasing ad campaign will happen, it will happen large, and it will happen fast, I have no doubt about that. I just see Apple as smart enough to know that their initial purchase rush will come from those of us that are in the know, not the casuals.

I could be wrong, but my strong guess is that it is in stores no longer than 2 weeks after the keynote. They haven't sold an iPhone in awhile, and I doubt they want to keep that up. Casuals are casuals for a reason; they are the ones more likely to just buy something else, as opposed to waiting. If a casual has been going to the At&t, or Apple, store for the past month looking for an iPhone, but has been unable to buy one, they are very likely to get something else if the wait prolongs too much longer. Especially with the iPhone "killers" popping up everywhere... The phones that us prosumers and techies wouldn't look twice at, but the casual thinks of as pretty much the same thing.

Prolonging the actual release will drive a new media "hypefest" for sure; there is no doubt about it. It also poses the risk of pushing it too far in the hopes of creating a frenzy though, and could blow up in Apple's face.

Last edited:

isitnyu

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
yes, it can most definitley be it. stores are supplied with these things at least a couple days they are sold in stores, so i think it has to be it. UNLESS, it can be a whole new PRODUCT (extremely small ipod shuffle)..................................... NOT.

Pyro

Jun 7, 2008
Visit site
It's possible. How do we know that previous shipments did not get by undetected... we don't... so even though it does not look like enough iPhones to go around... they could have already shipped more.

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
i dont think we can go off boxing really. just because the fact that the boxes are side by side doesnt neccesarily mean that they are related. besides it could just be toilet seats. jk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73