See the image I attached below. It's from the Gizmodo news site. Has anyone seen this image from the upcoming WWDC? I wonder if Apple is now going to make a bigger reference to OS X from now on with the iPhone. I wonder if they will now officially call it the "OS X iPhone"? It's a bit of a mouth-full.
    06-06-2008 10:09 AM
    See the image I attached below. It's from the Gizmodo news site. Has anyone seen this image from the upcoming WWDC? I wonder if Apple is now going to make a bigger reference to OS X from now on with the iPhone. I wonder if they will now officially call it the "OS X iPhone"? It's a bit of a mouth-full.
    Doubt it. This is just part of their OS strategy to unify everything.
    06-06-2008 11:39 AM
    I wonder if they will now officially call it the "OS X iPhone"?
    HIGHLY unlikely. It's the name of their software. It would by like calling their MacBooks "Leopard OS X"; what would you call the pro lines, the mini line, and the portables?

Apple uses its developed software to its advantage, like all companies. iPhone OS is used on other products and, I think personally, will eventually be used on all of its portables. It would be foolish to limit it to a single device, even if it's their "best" portable.

It's just way too confusing for Apple.
    06-06-2008 11:57 AM
    ya it is totaly way to counfuising becuase i say iPhone in 1 in 50 sentences and to make that longer it would be way to much.
    06-06-2008 12:50 PM
    I think the best part is that Apple themselves are now referring to the iPhone as a platform, not just a phone. During the initial iPhone launch, it was touted as the most advanced mobile phone. If you read that banner closely, you can see underneath where it says OS X iPhone, it says: "the world's most advanced mobile platform." That is a very nice thing to see!
    06-06-2008 01:07 PM
    ya it is totaly way to counfuising becuase i say iPhone in 1 in 50 sentences and to make that longer it would be way to much.
    Not as counfuising as this post.
    06-06-2008 01:25 PM
    I think the best part is that Apple themselves are now referring to the iPhone as a platform, not just a phone. During the initial iPhone launch, it was touted as the most advanced mobile phone. If you read that banner closely, you can see underneath where it says OS X iPhone, it says: "the world's most advanced mobile platform." That is a very nice thing to see!
    Yup makes sense that it will be a platform. There is so much going for it. It is full of potential than just making calls and listening to music. I always expected it to evolve into something more, I think a lot of people thought this as well.
    06-06-2008 07:30 PM
    I don't find it confusing at all. In fact it's a great way of distinguishing it from the full blown OS X while at the same time keeping it in the OS X family.
    06-07-2008 01:02 PM
    It's an foregone conclusion that Apple will eventually broaden the scope of the iPhone a la iPod. Perhaps renaming it to 'platform' as opposed to 'phone' signifies a change sooner than all of us anticipated?
    06-08-2008 07:02 AM
    It's an foregone conclusion that Apple will eventually broaden the scope of the iPhone a la iPod. Perhaps renaming it to 'platform' as opposed to 'phone' signifies a change sooner than all of us anticipated?
    Being a platform is the defining factor of being a smartphone nowadays. Once upon a time, a smartphone was categorized by having email functions, personal information management software, as well as advanced contact management.

Now?

Well now is a different story. Almost every new phone, from your free flip to the most expensive Pocket PC offers a lot of those features. My wife's free slider phone has a task manager, calendar, advanced address book, notepad, and email functions. So what is left to make the distinction between smartphone and feature phone? The device being a development platform.

With the iPhone being called a platform by Apple themselves, it signifies that they are finally ready to accept it as a smartphone through and through. This is something they avoided in the beginning, if you don't recall.

I am deriving quite a lot from a simple phrase on a banner, but I really think that it spells a brighter future for the iPhone, and for us as its users.
    06-08-2008 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD