What innovative hardware would you add to the iphone?

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What would knock your socks off when Jobs pulls the new iphone out of his pocket next week? solar cells? infrared? retina scanner? RFID reader? EZ-Pass transponder?

I would vote for solar cells but having a built-in EZ-Pass transponder would also be very slick.

nsquared

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I would like to see a fingerprint reader for security. I would hope they get rid of the number-password security lock. Imagine just laying your index finger on the screen and this unlocks your phone. Much quicker and more secure!

redsoxfan950

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I would put a locater in it so if somebody steals your iPhone you could go on your computer and see where it was when it last had edge or 3g network.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I would like to see a fingerprint reader for security. I would hope they get rid of the number-password security lock. Imagine just laying your index finger on the screen and this unlocks your phone. Much quicker and more secure!

Brilliant! That really would be a great addition. I think it'd only require biometric software though, or maybe it is depend on the the screen; some developer would have come up with something were it possible already.

I'd love to see: a projector(which is completely unfounded and unrealistic), a better camera capable of video and auto-settings(which is more software dependent), a "notifier" light, the assumed features(battery upgrade, GPS, 3G, better storage), video-conferencing, and better pixel-density.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Things that won't happen, but which would be cool:

1) biometrics. could integrate with keychain access and thus eliminate the need to constantly have to enter passwords with the on-screen keyboard (a particular pain in the arse given that good passwords mix letters, numbers, and punctuation, and the built-in keyboard error corrector can't correct them for you).

2) camera integrated into the lcd, so that teleconferencing not only works, but you don't appear to be looking in the wrong direction. Apple has a patent application on this tech., and with cmos sensors it should be doable someday.

3) solar? maybe some day, but I doubt it would provide enough battery boost to be helpful.

4) SD (or similar) slot. Won't happen, but it sure would be nice.

5) replace the front button with a button that can also act as a rocker. in combination with the accelerometer and camera, would make iphone one of the best portable game platforms out there. Would also facilitate one-handed operation of productivity apps, and wouldn't detract from the aesthetic if done properly (that is, it can't jut out).

There won't be an EZ-pass transponder. Too many incompatible variations nation- (and world-) wide, and in fact, most people don't have any use for such a thing. However, building an ISO-compliant contactless card interface in would enable all sorts of fun things.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Here is another crazy thought, a business card scanner. You just place the business card on the glass surface of the phone and it captures all the info and auto-loads into your contacts.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
How about a cigarette lighter linked to the proximity sensor so that it lit when moved toward a cigarette?

There could be a downside though...

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Here is another crazy thought, a business card scanner. You just place the business card on the glass surface of the phone and it captures all the info and auto-loads into your contacts.
This sounds like a cool idea, but I have to wonder how many business cards people actually collect that warrant such a feature. I guess it depends on what profession you are in.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
What would knock your socks off when Jobs pulls the new iphone out of his pocket next week? solar cells? infrared? retina scanner? RFID reader? EZ-Pass transponder?

I would vote for solar cells but having a built-in EZ-Pass transponder would also be very slick.
I like the idea of a highway toll transponder. I vote for that. The only problem is every state has something different and this wouldn't really work without the cooperation of all states.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
What are you supposed to do, velcro it to your windshield?

And what happens if two people in the car have iphones?

There's no advantage to this, either; it's like asking that the iPhone also double as a stickshift; the car already has one, and there's no reason for it to ever leave the car. it's not like you're going to need a "highway toll transponder" as you are walking around in your daily life.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
they won't have a rotating camera. They may have two cameras, however. Rotation adds complexity, moving parts which can break, and ruins the look of the thing. Two cameras allows them to have a cheap, low-res camera forward-facing for video chats, and a nicer camera out the back.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
How about the ability to open a portal to the magical land of Narnia?

Hmm sounds good but I would rather opt for a flux capacitor.

Actually now that I think of it that could be a kind of funny web app have the flux capacitor pulsating then the dial to set the year. The only problem would be you would have to use it in a car so as to reach 80 mph. ;)

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Doubtless through the power of magic.

or more likely through the rumored front-facing camera. No reason it couldn't automatically take snaps as a single image fills the entire sensor as the card approached the glass surface. Magic? No, just a little creative engineering.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
1 thing i have been really hoping that the Iphone will include, aside from the expected 3G, GPS, and all those fun things is a up to date camera. Samsung has made developments in producing a 8 mega pixel camera for cell phones and i cant think of any reason that the Iphone shouldnt have at least a 3 mega pixel camera if not a 5. I think this would be a great thing for them to put in the phone and make a lot of people happy, i knwo it would make me happy.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
or more likely through the rumored front-facing camera. No reason it couldn't automatically take snaps as a single image fills the entire sensor as the card approached the glass surface. Magic? No, just a little creative engineering.

That's not what you said. You said "place it on the glass surface" not "hold it in front of the camera."

I do expect iPhone to be used, for example, as a UPC scanner in conjunction with delicious library.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods