It took me a long time to figure out why my 5th-generation iPod would sometimes go crazy, with the scroll wheel seemingly getting random input, making scrolling through lists impossible, and even changing the volume wildly.

I think I've narrowed it down to my iPhone. Whenever the iPhone is within a few inches of the iPod, the scroll wheel problem occurs. I'm not sure if it's only when it's sending data or not.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
    06-04-2008 04:39 PM
    It took me a long time to figure out why my 5th-generation iPod would sometimes go crazy, with the scroll wheel seemingly getting random input, making scrolling through lists impossible, and even changing the volume wildly.

I think I've narrowed it down to my iPhone. Whenever the iPhone is within a few inches of the iPod, the scroll wheel problem occurs. I'm not sure if it's only when it's sending data or not.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
    Nope. I sometimes have my iPod Nano around my iPhone and never noticed this (the iPod Nano is used with an FM transmitter so I can listen to the tunes in my car).
    06-04-2008 04:41 PM
    It's just sibling rivalry. The iPhone is just pushing its younger brother/sister around. It will pass with time.

Ok, kidding aside. I don't know what would cause that, but it could be some kind of radio interference. Have you tried Googling it to see if anyone else has been having that issue?
    06-04-2008 05:28 PM
    I tested it out and when surfing with Mobile Safari with WiFi, the iPod click wheel works fine, when surfing with Mobile Safari on EDGE, the iPod click wheel goes crazy. The iPhone and iPod have to be quite close to each other.

I've never heard any other reports of this problem, but I'm not sure what to search for. Google seems to return articles about how similar the iPod Touch is to the iPhone and how the Touch lacks a click wheel. Can anyone else test this or come up with better search terms?
    06-04-2008 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD