View Poll Results: What are you going to do with your old iPhone?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it

8 38.10%
  • Sell it

9 42.86%
  • Give it away

2 9.52%
  • Other

2 9.52%
    My iPhone sold on eBay last night for $365 plus $35 shipping since it's going to the UK from the US. I'm quite pleased to have gotten back so much after using it for almost a year. I'll be using this money to get the 3G phone as soon as it comes out.
    06-08-2008 04:06 PM
    Well after buying an iPod touch and having one of the faulty "black negative" screens, I thought from now on I'd wait for the second generation (of any gadget) to iron out all the kinks.

Also after seeing what the iPod touch has done for me just as far as music, I'm sure the iPhone will totally change the way I use my cell phone.
    I was the same way. When the iPhone came out last year, I told myself that I'd wait, because I wanted to see what problems would come from the 1st Gen. I was actually very content with not having one at all- until my girlfriend bought one early this year. Thanks to her, I'm now sucked into the 2nd Gen craze, and can't wait until tomorrow.
    06-08-2008 05:55 PM
    There are a few of people that don't know about the new iPhone, believe it or not. Try Craigslist, I bet it will sell
    06-09-2008 12:30 AM
    I wish I didn't get rid of my 4GB iPhone 2 months ago, it fetched for $300 then and it could have served me at least $400-450 now.
    06-09-2008 01:04 AM
    I wish I didn't get rid of my 4GB iPhone 2 months ago, it fetched for $300 then and it could have served me at least $400-450 now.
    What do you mean served you at least $400 now? Do you mean you could have sold it for more now?
    06-09-2008 12:17 PM
    Something tells me that those who want to sell AFTER the new phone is released (today) will not get much for their phones. Especially since the new prices are lower. Ouch! I am going to......wait a sec, don't own one!
    06-09-2008 03:51 PM
    Probably put it in that drawer with all my other old phones. That drawer trumps all my good intentions.
    06-09-2008 06:15 PM
    I think our first generation iPhones are going to command a premium since you will have to buy the 3G version in the store and activate it right then and there...at least that is what I am gathering from the news from today. So, if you can't get it out the door without activating it, and people want unlocked/unactivated/jailbroken iPhones, it is very likely our current models will sell for MORE than they do now! Just a thought...
    06-09-2008 08:37 PM
    I think our first generation iPhones are going to command a premium since you will have to buy the 3G version in the store and activate it right then and there...at least that is what I am gathering from the news from today. So, if you can't get it out the door without activating it, and people want unlocked/unactivated/jailbroken iPhones, it is very likely our current models will sell for MORE than they do now! Just a thought...
    Yeah that is what I am gathering from the news as well. I wonder how much I could get for it come July. I can't exactly sell it now, I won't have a phone for over a month. I guess when the release date gets closer, I will know what I want to do. If the selling price is good, I might do that.
    06-10-2008 08:49 PM
    will give it to one of the kids most likely...if not, into the drawer it goes until a better idea materializes.
    06-10-2008 11:57 PM
    I'm going to keep the iPhone I have now. It's not "old" and I can't see spending money for what should accurately be called a refresh of the iPhone. The 3G iPhone can't be really described as all that new. Look at what the new features are:

It offers 3G (I don't live in a 3G area and the available WiFi networks are faster than 3G). Many folks don't live in a 3G area.

It also offers GPS (I don't need turn by turn directions), nor do most non technophobes.

It has the new 2.0 software (which I can get for my current iPhone without spending a dime).

The big extra features, stuff that we haven't imagined yet, will probably be on a future iPhone, which will have a faster processor, more memory and probably go for about $400. I will probably get that phone.
    06-11-2008 08:45 AM
    I'll keep the old one at least until the bugs are worked out of the new one. Locate's cool but I can simply text my friends to find out where they're having lunch..... 16GB would be nice but probably not $399.00 worth of nice.

I really like maps, so GPS doesn't fascinate quite so much. I have it built in my wifes Honda Civic Hybrid and we travel in that here in the States.

I know I'll keep the one I have at least for travel.

Bill
    06-11-2008 09:23 AM
    I'm going to wait until my two year contract is up before making a decision on what I want to do. I agree with inertialnav... this is essentially a refresh and not worth the added expenses. The wait continues.
    06-11-2008 10:29 AM
    I'm going to wait until my two year contract is up before making a decision on what I want to do. I agree with inertialnav... this is essentially a refresh and not worth the added expenses. The wait continues.
    Agreed. One more year left on my original iphone contract so may as well wait for the real 'next generation' iphone rather than jumping out to buy reheated leftovers. Sorry iPhone 3G, you're just not for me.
    06-11-2008 11:59 AM
    Agreed. One more year left on my original iphone contract so may as well wait for the real 'next generation' iphone rather than jumping out to buy reheated leftovers. Sorry iPhone 3G, you're just not for me.
    It's nice to know there are people out there that agree with me on this. It seems like the people who plan to upgrade and don't plan to are 50/50. And like you, I am waiting for the next generation iPhone as well.
    06-11-2008 08:54 PM
    It's nice to know there are people out there that agree with me on this. It seems like the people who plan to upgrade and don't plan to are 50/50. And like you, I am waiting for the next generation iPhone as well.
    Come on, Guys. It is only money.
    06-11-2008 10:46 PM
    I just came back to iPhone after a brief foray in the Treo 750 WM-6 world and, since the T750 is 3G; I had a chance to observe battery usage and availability of 3G in my area.

In most of my daily travels, I have no 3G availability. Thus the 3G iPhone would not be a big benefit. Yes the "me.com cloud" would be useful but I can always sync my iPhone to my notebook and then sync my iPhone with my desktop when I get home. In all these years, I have never accessed my home iMac from the road. Thus, I never leave it turned on!

Other 3G dependent SDK Apps, while handy, are not a big necessity for me.

So, I'm with you: I'll wait for iPhone 3.0

Bill
    06-12-2008 01:22 PM
    You should be able to do all of the me.com things with the original iPhone as well. I believe that it comes as a 2.0 software upgrade there is no special hardware in the new iPhone that will allow you to use me.com.
    06-12-2008 05:16 PM
    Your first post ever is a good one! Give this man a nickel. You're quite right, with the forced activation on the new iphone the older model will become more valuable, particularly when jailbroken. Not locked to a carrier, or contract and supplies of 1st gen phones will be tight thereby driving UP pricing. It also allows buyers to use an iphone for a year contract free (or under their existing GSM contract) with the same software as the new iphone while retaining the flexibility of deciding when the 3rd gen iphone comes out next year. At that time, the 2nd gen buyers will be stuck unless AT&T ups the data plan pricing again - $40 anyone? - and allows short-cycled subsidized devices. Eventually that music has to stop though.
    06-12-2008 05:30 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD