Sounds like both will be released next Monday... http://www.iphonealley.com/news/rumo...ns-come-monday
    06-03-2008 01:52 PM
    I've forgotten the latest iTunes updates. Has the App Store been added and waiting for activation on some recent update?

If not, then we should see an update to iTunes either concurrent or before Monday. Isn't that the deal or am I off?
    06-03-2008 05:04 PM
    I've forgotten the latest iTunes updates. Has the App Store been added and waiting for activation on some recent update?

If not, then we should see an update to iTunes either concurrent or before Monday. Isn't that the deal or am I off?
    Hmm I haven't read or heard anything about a new iTunes version, but there could be. There's a lot going on for the new iPhone and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple delivered a new iTunes version to support additional features. We will see in the next few days.
    06-03-2008 05:25 PM
    I hope the new app store mean a launch of iTunes 8. It would be cool to see an app store for the Mac and Apple TV as well, though I doubt that will be announced next Monday.
    06-04-2008 10:57 AM
    I hope the new app store mean a launch of iTunes 8. It would be cool to see an app store for the Mac and Apple TV as well, though I doubt that will be announced next Monday.
    What apps were you thinking would run on the Apple TV? I mean nice concept but what?
    06-04-2008 12:33 PM
    Yeah, I expect an update to iTunes the same day as the iPhone 2.0 software release (whether that's Monday or a few days later). I would like for it to all come Monday (3G iPhone, 2.0 software, App Store, new iTunes), but there could be delays by a few days. I would rather there be a delay than have lots of bugs in the software.
    06-04-2008 02:44 PM
    Yeah, I expect an update to iTunes the same day as the iPhone 2.0 software release (whether that's Monday or a few days later). I would like for it to all come Monday (3G iPhone, 2.0 software, App Store, new iTunes), but there could be delays by a few days. I would rather there be a delay than have lots of bugs in the software.
    I except Monday to be a big day too. I also expect everything to come out at once, I mean it should. Why release new iPhone software when you don't have the infrastructure in place to support it. I think wide availability of the new iPhone will also be Monday.
    06-04-2008 02:59 PM
    Just read this article about how the 2.0 software might be delayed till late June early July: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/04/iphon...nd-generation/
    06-04-2008 05:10 PM
    Hang on, let me visit it my mountain of salt...

Apple has had full control over the iPhone since the day it dropped, so I am skeptical about them needing carrier approval for firmware updates. I just can't see Monday coming and Steve making a powerful presentation introducing the new iPhone to the world and then following it up with; "And it, along with the new firmware, should be available at the end of June, or early July. I know the hype train has been building on this since I initially launched the first iPhone just under a year ago, and I know you were all dying for, and expecting, a quick-launch, but I... I just can't do it."

I dunno, maybe it won't come until July... I just hope that this was intentionally seeded misinformation.

EDIT: This was in regards to the recent TUAW report, not the original post... Obviously....
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-04-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    06-04-2008 05:16 PM
    TUAW is reporting it wont be released until end of the month due to the fact that they just got it in the hands of the carriers and it usually takes them a couple of weeks to ok it before releasing it to everyone. Also they reported that some Japanese carrier announced they will be getting it. So it looks like Antarctica is the only continent that will be 3g iphoneless.
    06-04-2008 05:47 PM
    So did Apple have to give all the carriers 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, and 1.1.4 for two weeks before releasing it? 2.0 isn't so radically different from past software that it requires a great deal of extra testing. Plus, I'm sure AT&T and Apple have been using beta versions of 2.0 for months. Any big network bugs should be gone by now.

The 3G iPhone and 2.0 software will definitely be announced Monday, but some people are suggesting June 19 as the release date for the 3G. I can't imagine the 3G iPhone launching without 2.0, so either way they're both coming very soon.
    06-04-2008 06:03 PM
    I am extremely skeptical that Apple is going to have to deliver it to AT&T for approval of the firmware. That may be the normal operating procedures, but the iPhone has been anything but normal. For example, I have the 1st gen Blackjack by Samsung. It was a REAL CLUSTER-you-know-what waiting for the release of WinMob 6.0 for the Blackjack. Microsoft had to build it. Then to Samsung to perfect it for the device. Then to AT&T to add their marketing apps. It bounced around between the 3 for 6 months before finally being released. On the other hand, AT&T isn't going to know WTF is going on in the firmware in order to test it any more thoroughly than Apple already has. Plus, on the iPhone (as opposed to other devices), there are no AT&T additions (music store, AT&T mall, Telenav, MusicID, XMradio, etc), so no need for AT&T to have it in order to add more stuff. Finally, since Apple is running the show, if AT&T wanted confirmation of anything, I'm sure they would send their engineers over to Apple during final testing so that they could rubber-stamp it.

HOWEVER, if you recall .... during the SDK roadmap event, Jobs did say "late June" for firmware 2.0, so you just never know . . . .
    06-04-2008 06:28 PM
    So did Apple have to give all the carriers 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, and 1.1.4 for two weeks before releasing it? 2.0 isn't so radically different from past software that it requires a great deal of extra testing. Plus, I'm sure AT&T and Apple have been using beta versions of 2.0 for months. Any big network bugs should be gone by now.

The 3G iPhone and 2.0 software will definitely be announced Monday, but some people are suggesting June 19 as the release date for the 3G. I can't imagine the 3G iPhone launching without 2.0, so either way they're both coming very soon.
    Where did you hear June 19?
    06-04-2008 08:00 PM
    Where did you hear June 19?
    Why, the iPhone blog, of course. Also, remember that AT&T is getting temporary workers for June 16 through August 16. Maybe a few days to train the temps before the big day?
    06-04-2008 09:02 PM
    Why, the iPhone blog, of course. Also, remember that AT&T is getting temporary workers for June 16 through August 16. Maybe a few days to train the temps before the big day?
    So many rumors, I don't know what to believe anymore. I would really like availability next week but I guess the wait might have to continue.
    06-04-2008 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD