Steve Jobs says,
    "iPhone uses EDGE because it is a power-saver. If iPhone had 3G, which uses a lot of battery, it would need a bigger battery."

Since Apple's unofficial confirmation, when Walt Mossberg said "iPhone will be 3G in 60 days," of the 3G iPhone, do you think the iPhone would a bit bigger.

I say, maybe, they could make a new battery wider or thicker, so I don't know.
    06-02-2008 08:37 PM
    If it has a 3G chip, and GPS as rumored, it will most likely be thicker. This isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as they don't make it too thick. Apple is a whiz at packing a lot into a small package though, so I am sure it will deliver.
    06-02-2008 09:02 PM
    Of course they will, Apple always delivers!
    06-02-2008 09:05 PM
    Steve Jobs says,
    "iPhone uses EDGE because it is a power-saver. If iPhone had 3G, which uses a lot of battery, it would need a bigger battery."

Since Apple's unofficial confirmation, when Walt Mossberg said "iPhone will be 3G in 60 days," of the 3G iPhone, do you think the iPhone would a bit bigger.

I say, maybe, they could make a new battery wider or thicker, so I don't know.
    I just read this article: http://www.iphonealley.com/news/more...inner-exterior

A source is claiming it will be 22% thinner AND have a better battery life. We'll see.
    06-02-2008 09:18 PM
    I find it hard to believe that it will be packing all this extra punch, all these extra battery-hoggin' goodies, have increased battery life, AND be 22% thinner! Frankly, the same size or even a little thicker wouldn't bother me much. I had an iPod Touch for awhile before returning it (I only returned it in anticipation of the new 3G iPhone). Honestly, my thought with it was always this: Boy, had they made this just a little thicker, like as thick as the iPhone, then battery life would really be killer! I hope they don't make it any thinner, but rather keep the extra thickness (read 'same as current model') for as big as battery as possible. I'm hoping for at least 1800 mah.
    06-02-2008 11:37 PM
    i think the phone will be a tad bit thicker becaus of the gps and 3g. even some of the smallest phones running 3f are a bit thick. but i wouldnt expect it much thicker than a regular ipod old school
    06-03-2008 12:05 AM
    Yeah, but smaller parts in terms of silicon are directly related to lower power consumption in the first place. I bet they are upgrading to more integrated chips, built on smaller scale processes, which automatically gives huge increases in battery life. With some proper power management, you can get better battery life, AND a smaller package just from the natural progression of the chip industry.
    06-03-2008 12:05 AM
    very true as a matter of fact i read somewhere apple was buying a chip company unfortunately i forgot the name of the company ill see if i can digg it up tomorrow. maybe for a tablet pc or maybe for 3g iphone.
    06-03-2008 12:09 AM
    This is probably one of my biggest beefs with the iPhone 3G. If it does lose its current form factor, I will be very cautious to upgrading. I absolutely love the look and feel of the current iPhone.

Thicker would be better to hold in the hand yet I love how the iPhone just fits in my pocket. As much as the phone quality improves with a move toward a plastic casing, I enjoy the feel of the aluminum--it adds a feel to it that other phone's can't duplicate.

Here's to hoping that Apple can figure out how to put everything inside the iPhone 3G without making it any thicker!
    06-03-2008 03:58 AM
    This is probably one of my biggest beefs with the iPhone 3G. If it does lose its current form factor, I will be very cautious to upgrading. I absolutely love the look and feel of the current iPhone.

Thicker would be better to hold in the hand yet I love how the iPhone just fits in my pocket. As much as the phone quality improves with a move toward a plastic casing, I enjoy the feel of the aluminum--it adds a feel to it that other phone's can't duplicate.

Here's to hoping that Apple can figure out how to put everything inside the iPhone 3G without making it any thicker!
    I read it should be thinner, up to 22% thinner, which would be amazing if it were able to do this.
    06-03-2008 09:49 AM
    I don't feel like there is much to change. The form factor is pretty simple: all screen, all the time. Everything else is just the bare necessities. If the back of the phone is a different color or material, who cares?

My biggest beef would be if they reduced screen size to have 3G or GPS. If that's the case I'll hold onto my current phone for a very long time.
    06-03-2008 04:56 PM
    I don't feel like there is much to change. The form factor is pretty simple: all screen, all the time. Everything else is just the bare necessities. If the back of the phone is a different color or material, who cares?

My biggest beef would be if they reduced screen size to have 3G or GPS. If that's the case I'll hold onto my current phone for a very long time.
    A lot of people are going to care about color and material. It adds to the durability and uniqueness that is iPhone. I HIGHLY doubt that the screen size will be redduce. Apple wouldn't release a GPS upgrade and say, hey you have to use this will a tiny screen where you can't read anything.
    06-03-2008 05:27 PM
    I don't think they should make it too much smaller. To be honest the current gen. seems a bit small in my big hands, I wouldn't mind if it fattened up just a bit.:o
    06-03-2008 11:42 PM
    I think the current phone is the perfect size. Physically, I would only change the thickness of the unit. I like how wide and how tall it is.
    06-04-2008 12:36 PM
    I really doubt it could be much thinner. The modules for 3G and GPS are relatively big, and batteries(so far as I know) haven't made any significant gains technologically. My vote is for thicker, but I wouldn't avoid it if it is thinner! I think the thinner rumor was part of Jobs' reality distortion field. It's too precise, and I'm not sure technology warrants it. But -- Apple has been known to do some surprisingly great things...

All I want, personally, is a better in-hand feel. If it is "curvier" then that is EXACTLY what I think it needs.
    06-04-2008 12:47 PM
    They may be able to get smaller parts for other pieces inside the iPhone, and an all-plastic back could let Apple's engineers make better use of space in the phone. Because they had to jam the cellular and WiFi radios in the bottom of the current model (where the black plastic is), they may have had to make it a little thicker than it otherwise would have been. Even though it's only been a year, battery technology could have improved somewhat, and maybe they have some other software/hardware power saving tricks up their sleeves.
    06-04-2008 02:25 PM
    this just in . rumors say that iphone2 is actually a bit bigger. full black back plus chrome volume buttons. again rumors but this is from a trusted source. I think the small increasement in size will no matter considering its packing 3g and gps. just cleared dust off the credit card for this one.
    06-04-2008 11:34 PM
    I dont think I want it to be smaller I dont much like the feel of the iPod touch in my hand it feels to thin I guess I'm kind of hoping for the iPhone fatty.
    06-05-2008 02:52 AM
    I read it should be thinner, up to 22% thinner, which would be amazing if it were able to do this.
    I read that to but i have also heard that it will be a lot bigger. It's amost like if you add choclate chips to a cookie the cookie will be bigger.
    06-05-2008 12:54 PM
    Exactly how is it almost like adding chocolate chips to a cookie?
    06-05-2008 02:22 PM
    I read that to but i have also heard that it will be a lot bigger. It's amost like if you add choclate chips to a cookie the cookie will be bigger.
    Oh man if they added chocolate chips to the iPhone that would be great. Then I wouldn't mind if it were bigger.
    06-05-2008 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD