Are iPhone service prices too expensive?

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think that the iPhone prices are expensive, but you're paying what its worth :confused:
So even its too expensive for individuals, cheapest is $59.99.
I'm thinking about getting a 3G iPhone, unless I win one from The iPhone Blog.
But unless there is an unlocking tool for the next-gen iPhone, Then i'll just use my T-Mobile.
But anyways, iPhone still is (I think) the best phone yet!:D

Last edited:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I think they're very fair prices.

The only thing I would like to see is for AT&T to make the SMS messages rollover.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
At&t BlackBerry Personal Plan = $30/month and includes unlimited data and email. (This one is a little special because it uses a special BlackBerry proprietary internet service, but it is still just unlimited data)

At&t PDA Unlimited = $30/month and includes unlimited data and email.

iPhone Data = $20/month and includes unlimited data and email, visual voice mail, and 200 text messages.

By comparison, no, I don't think it is expensive at all. You get more than other smartphone data plans for less money.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
At&t BlackBerry Personal Plan = $30/month and includes unlimited data and email. (This one is a little special because it uses a special BlackBerry proprietary internet service, but it is still just unlimited data)

At&t PDA Unlimited = $30/month and includes unlimited data and email.

iPhone Data = $20/month and includes unlimited data and email, visual voice mail, and 200 text messages.

By comparison, no, I don't think it is expensive at all. You get more than other smartphone data plans for less money.
Just to add... depending on what state you live in, the plan with taxes and everything is $70, still reasonable when you compare it with other data plans from other carriers.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
@ CoolCowiesClan

Remember, if and when you do buy the iPhone 3G remember that T-Mobile currently doesn't have any 3G offerings. Also, no one is certain of the specs of the iPhone 3G yet so be cautious to make sure it includes T-Mobile's 3G frequency..but then again I would be VERY surprised if Tri-Band 3G wasn't included in the iPhone 3G.

As I also recall, the data plan on T-Mobile is also $20 dollars. Same as the iPhone's but you also get 200 SMS to play with on your iPhone. Your issues with the price point is probably better served at an AT&T vs T-Mobile voice plan discussion rather than the iPhone's data plan which is VERY competitive.

Also, to whomever said it, rollover SMS is a genius idea! I guess that means we won't see it on AT&T anytime soon..haha

2Pumped

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Although I am not with ATT just yet, I have checked on the prices of the iPhone plans and they are pretty fair.
I am currently with Sprint and have a BlackBerry. I pay almost $200 per month for Family Plan, 800 F&F minutes. One BlackBerry and one Treo.
After checking with ATT, 2 iPhones should only be $160 PLUS taxes with 1400 min and unlimited texts.
Pretty fair deal, if the new phone has push-mail and push-calendar.

I like the BlackBerry for the email, but the rest of it is pretty rudimentary. The calendar looks horrible and I want better connectivity with my iMac and MBP. I'm a definite switcher the day it comes out.

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
The big (and highly inaccurate) criticism of the iPhone when it first came out was that the plans were "SO EXPENSIVE." This is hogwash. Critics were saying that the iPhone "cost" $1,400 to $2,000 to own over the life of a 2-year contract. However, the completely ignores what you already would be paying your carrier for your voice plan.

I have a 1st-gen Blackjack. Voice-plans aside, if I were paying what I was supposed to be paying for the data & e-mail, it would be $39/month (that is what it was at the time I entered my contract). Add $5 per month for 200 sms, and I would be paying $24 more per month for comparable services to the iPhone plan. Over the life of a 2-year contract, that's a $576 difference, which more than pays for the phone itself.

At current rates, it is still $30 for data & e-mail + $5 for 200 sms, or $15 more than the iPhone plan. Over 24 months, that's still $360. If you add that to the $100 you pay to buy a current Blackjack or Blackberry AT&T is offering, you're up to $460. This means that over a 2-year contract, you pay approximately the SAME amount for a $400+ iPhone as you do a "cheaper" $100 smartphone.

The iPhone suddenly doesn't sound so expensive, eh?

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The big (and highly inaccurate) criticism of the iPhone when it first came out was that the plans were "SO EXPENSIVE." This is hogwash. Critics were saying that the iPhone "cost" $1,400 to $2,000 to own over the life of a 2-year contract. However, the completely ignores what you already would be paying your carrier for your voice plan.

I have a 1st-gen Blackjack. Voice-plans aside, if I were paying what I was supposed to be paying for the data & e-mail, it would be $39/month (that is what it was at the time I entered my contract). Add $5 per month for 200 sms, and I would be paying $24 more per month for comparable services to the iPhone plan. Over the life of a 2-year contract, that's a $576 difference, which more than pays for the phone itself.

At current rates, it is still $30 for data & e-mail + $5 for 200 sms, or $15 more than the iPhone plan. Over 24 months, that's still $360. If you add that to the $100 you pay to buy a current Blackjack or Blackberry AT&T is offering, you're up to $460. This means that over a 2-year contract, you pay approximately the SAME amount for a $400+ iPhone as you do a "cheaper" $100 smartphone.

The iPhone suddenly doesn't sound so expensive, eh?

The people that used to say that were saying it for two reasons. The first was because they were looking for whatever means they could to spin the iPhone in a negative light. The second is that the iPhone couldn't be used without activation ? legally that is. So in essence, to even get past the "welcome screen" on your shiny new iPhone, you were forced to activate it. I know, I know, people that wanted to do that would have just bought an iTouch, so I refer you back to point 1.

ALL PDA/smartphones require data plans and are more expensive to own when looked at in the "2 year scheme." This was something conveniently forgotten by most of the "iPhone is too expensive" nay-sayers though.

xpolicy

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
I have been wondering if the data plan will be more than $20 a month for 3g? Or will it just still be $20 for edge and 3g. What do you think?

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The BlackBerry and PDA plans are all $30, regardless of whether you have an EDGE phone or a 3G phone. I don't think the $20 will go up, but if it does, I can't imagine it being by more than $5-10.

neolite

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I can imagine a lot of people opting out of the data plans with ATT or choosing the lowest possible ones if there were any options, which really limits the potential of the device for Apple. I think that ATT will be pressured into offering the same price so people can "feel" justified on spending $600 for a phone.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
All AT&T phone plans are expensive, not just iPhone. So no, I don't think iPhone plans are too expensive any more than all other plans are.
PDAs and Blackberries (as has been said) cost way more to operate, and the iPhone is essentially as cheap as any other basic flip phone running Media Net.

iPhone has the cheapest data plan and accounts for most of the data bandwidth used. I think it's fairly priced for the value you get out it.

T-Mobile is certainly cheaper than AT&T, always has been. I say you get what you pay for.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
The BlackBerry and PDA plans are all $30, regardless of whether you have an EDGE phone or a 3G phone. I don't think the $20 will go up, but if it does, I can't imagine it being by more than $5-10.
Data plan pricing on AT&T has never been dictated by connection speed. So I agree with you.
They didn't raise data plan prices from GPRS to EDGE, and didn't do so from EDGE to HSDPA. In fact, they have dropped prices a little bit.

But everything surrounding iPhone is different (which bugs me.) I was personally shocked when they introduced the Media Net pricing for iPhone data, and not something more like Blackberry or PDA. But I'm glad.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
It's weird how wireless providers don't dictate their prices for data access based on access speed, whereas telephone companies and cable providers do. This is a plus. I think people have way to much fun on speculating stuff... WWDC less than a week away. People should just be patient and see what happens.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
It's weird how wireless providers don't dictate their prices for data access based on access speed, whereas telephone companies and cable providers do. This is a plus. I think people have way to much fun on speculating stuff... WWDC less than a week away. People should just be patient and see what happens.

Patience is a virtue that I lost about 2 weeks ago. I just hope the thing actually lives up to my personal hype, or at least gets close. :D

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Patience is a virtue that I lost about 2 weeks ago. I just hope the thing actually lives up to my personal hype, or at least gets close. :D
Remeber way back when when the first rumors of the iPhone surfaced. There was some Motorola event and the dude goes like today we won't be talking about the iphone or whatever it was. And then Apple comes out with the iPod interface for some Motorola phone. But then FINALLY the real iPhone came out and everyone was awe struck. I really don't think Apple will disappoint. They can't take 5 steps forward and then 3 steps back by introducing something short of what has been rumored. I would be really surprised if all they came out with was redesigned form factor and upgraded memory.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73