3G iPhone Specs and Prices?

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
While that's probably true at least to a degree (even the Shuffle apparently has good margins) the iPhone is different to other hardware products because the cash the user pays up front isn't the only income. I'm sure there's some room for manoeuvre and a lowish up front cost is far from impossible - unless they rip up the revenue sharing agreements altogether of course!

internationally they are moving away from revenue sharing.

There may be multiple iphone models, but none of them will be a "low end" model, at least not like what people are assuming. (They may continue the 2G version as the base model).

nsquared

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Considering that when upgrading phones these days most people tend to be now drawn to smartphones with keyboards or touch-screen phones, Apple needs to really play this release carefully. Yes they are a leader, but when you consider the people that already have iPhones, Apple's not going to get them to upgrade unless they can really make it worth it to do so. A $500 starting point does not seem right. I'm guessing a starting price of $400, or if they really want to shock people, $350. It would also be great if they diversified with high-, middle- and low-end phones lines. Pick your features and pick your price-point.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Considering that when upgrading phones these days most people tend to be now drawn to smartphones with keyboards or touch-screen phones, Apple needs to really play this release carefully. Yes they are a leader, but when you consider the people that already have iPhones, Apple's not going to get them to upgrade unless they can really make it worth it to do so. A $500 starting point does not seem right. I'm guessing a starting price of $400, or if they really want to shock people, $350. It would also be great if they diversified with high-, middle- and low-end phones lines. Pick your features and pick your price-point.

i'm sure that apple is much more concerned with new customers than with upgraders at this point. The number of people with iphones is comparatively tiny (not yet 10 million).

2Pumped

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
With prices of the Touch being $100 less than the iPhone with same memory. I would hope that if there is a 32GB iPhone, it will only $600, NOT $700 as has been posted on other sites.
Regarding subsidizing...I only think it's fair, if ATT requires a 2 year contract, they should give a little $$$. We'll see.
I'm also hoping for a little insurance!

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Won't happen. Nothing in Apple's history suggests they will seek volume over margin.
Although:

low end ipod = shuffle
low end iphone = ??

There is no reason they would not introduce a low-end phone. Methinks something with edge, carrier subsidy, less storage and (perhaps) less functionality - maybe low-grade or no camera. Not unlike the BB Pearl, a more consumer friendly mass-market phone at a lower price point. It would be the iphone shuffle. Didn't the rolling stones have that song, "yeah, yeah, yeah..do the iphone shuffle"

Last edited:

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Although:

low end ipod = shuffle
low end iphone = ??

There is no reason they would not introduce a low-end phone. Methinks something with edge, carrier subsidy, less storage and (perhaps) less functionality - maybe low-grade or no camera. Not unlike the BB Pearl, a more consumer friendly mass-market phone at a lower price point. It would be the iphone shuffle. Didn't the rolling stones have that song, "yeah, yeah, yeah..do the iphone shuffle"

They make huge margins on the "low end" shuffle. They couldn't sell a "low end" iphone without raising the prices on the high end beyond what anyone is willing to pay. And they certainly won't bother with the low end until the high end market is fully saturated. Anyone who is expecting some sort of iphone nano has no understanding of apple's market strategy for the last 20 years.

inertialnav

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
And give it a few months, possibly holiday season, and that price will be cut 1/3 you can count on it!

If they're going for the 10 million customers, he's gonna have to watch the price, unless the info about a low end iPhone turns out to be correct. Remember, after the initial surge of phones last year things slowed down enough to prompt a price reduction and all of the hoopla that went with it.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
If they're going for the 10 million customers, he's gonna have to watch the price, unless the info about a low end iPhone turns out to be correct. Remember, after the initial surge of phones last year things slowed down enough to prompt a price reduction and all of the hoopla that went with it.
I think the hoopla never died. A lot of people were purposefully waiting for the second iteration to purchase the phone. I don't know the exact sales number right now for the first version, but I bet the second version will sell just as well if not better. Remember Jobs signed up tons of carriers to support this. So extra opportunities will no doubt translate to more sales.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1