Will 3G iPhone succeed?

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
iPhone 3G, a big need to the current iPhone. The 3G network is fast and satisfying.:) Nevertheless, AT&T's network called EDGE is slow and horrible.:( Will Apple's new "JesusPhone" satisfy on round two? Of course it will, its Apple, right? Anybody will buy their products. No matter what price. Let's wait and see in the WWDC '08 Apple Keynote!:D

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I haven't a doubt in my mind that it will succeed. Not only will June bring the new iPhone (hopefully), it will also bring firmware 2.0. Many people forget about this huge leap forward for the iPhone because it is sitting in the shadow of the 3G release. The facts are that firmware 2.0 will present the iPhone as no longer just a phone, but a new development platform.

That, combined with the 3G device, is sure to create quite a wave of success for the iPhone/Apple. In my humble opinion that is.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I haven't a doubt in my mind that it will succeed. Not only will June bring the new iPhone (hopefully), it will also bring firmware 2.0. Many people forget about this huge leap forward for the iPhone because it is sitting in the shadow of the 3G release. The facts are that firmware 2.0 will present the iPhone as no longer just a phone, but a new development platform.

That, combined with the 3G device, is sure to create quite a wave of success for the iPhone/Apple. In my humble opinion that is.
Absolutely 3G will succeed. It seems like the price point will be the same as the original iPhone when it debuted. A lot of people were holding out for the second iteration of the phone so I think a new wave of buyers will come.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I for one specifically didn't even consider the iPhone beacause of it's lack of 3G. Having had 3G PDA phones for 1-2 years already I wasn't willing to go back to EDGE.
I told my friends to wait, but they didn't listen. The iPhone was already 10x better than what they were packin'.

So I know there are holdouts like me that will likely see the IPhone as being at least on par with what they already have. Regardless of whether or not my current or potentially future version of my phone phone is better, I'm likely going to get an iPhone 3G anyway and give it a fair shot and hopefully love it.

Also I know plenty of people very frustrated with trying to web browse on EDGE iPhones and can't wait to upgrade to 3G.

It will be quite successful.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
EDGE is one of the reasons I don't still have an iPhone. I loved it, but EDGE for data just got to me after awhile. I will say that I have missed it since I moved on, and for that reason I am itching something awful to get the new one.

My only request is that 3G use is my choice. I would prefer to keep it on EDGE for battery life and only switch to 3G when I actually need it for browsing.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
EDGE is one of the reasons I don't still have an iPhone. I loved it, but EDGE for data just got to me after awhile. I will say that I have missed it since I moved on, and for that reason I am itching something awful to get the new one.

My only request is that 3G use is my choice. I would prefer to keep it on EDGE for battery life and only switch to 3G when I actually need it for browsing.
Well Apple does pride itself on battery management so I'm sure it will be able to throttle down to a lower speed to conserve battery life. For me, I don't use data all that much so EDGE works good for me.

nsquared

May 31, 2008
Visit site
The most ideal situation is if Apple does some sort of 'smart' connection option. Hopefully the new iPhone will be able to switch between 3G and EDGE when appropriate (for example, 3G when browsing, then EGDE with checking for new email).

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
iPhone 3G, a big need to the current iPhone. The 3G network is fast and satisfying.:) Nevertheless, AT&T's network called EDGE is slow and horrible.:( Will Apple's new "JesusPhone" satisfy on round two? Of course it will, its Apple, right? Anybody will buy their products. No matter what price. Let's wait and see in the WWDC '08 Apple Keynote!:D

There's something just a little bit disturbing about some of your posts.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
of course the 3g will succeed. anything apple will succeed, i dont remember one thing that failed in the market.
Perhaps we forget the ones that fail :) One of recent vintage:

31Nj%2B8YLINL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Not to mention Apple TV hasn't exactly been a raging success.
I like the Apple TV but I haven't bought one yet because of its limited storage capacity. This sounds like a wild thought, but I would love to wirelessly stream content from my iPhone to the Apple TV. Maybe this will be one of the apps that some developer will make.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Well Apple does pride itself on battery management so I'm sure it will be able to throttle down to a lower speed to conserve battery life. For me, I don't use data all that much so EDGE works good for me.
You can manually switch between GSM and UMTS (UMTS is the "3G" band for those who would like it in layman's term)

See here:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/10/newsflash-firmware-2-0-hints-suggest-apple-might-be-working-on/

iphone-3g-screen-shot.jpg

For other iPhone 2.0 stuff that should be included with the 3G model, check this one out:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/18/iphone-firmware-2-0-hands-on/

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
3G switch

You can manually switch between GSM and UMTS (UMTS is the "3G" band for those who would like it in layman's term)

See here:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/10/newsflash-firmware-2-0-hints-suggest-apple-might-be-working-on/

iphone-3g-screen-shot.jpg

For other iPhone 2.0 stuff that should be included with the 3G model, check this one out:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/18/iphone-firmware-2-0-hands-on/

I think an auto-switch would be nice or have settings in a preferences panel for when 3G is to be used. For example, I would default to edge for most services (email, weather, stocks) but enable 3G for Safari, iTunes and Slingbox (I don't use youtube much). Ideally, you could configure for each app that uses a data connection.

I have a Samsung Blackjack (1st gen) for work and usually run it on Edge - no real benefit with 3G other than laptop tethering as the screen is too small for web browsing and the limitation is not my network connection speed but the slow processor coupled with the pitiful and heavy WinMo operating system.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I think an auto-switch would be nice or have settings in a preferences panel for when 3G is to be used. For example, I would default to edge for most services (email, weather, stocks) but enable 3G for Safari, iTunes and Slingbox (I don't use youtube much). Ideally, you could configure for each app that uses a data connection.

I have a Samsung Blackjack (1st gen) for work and usually run it on Edge - no real benefit with 3G other than laptop tethering as the screen is too small for web browsing and the limitation is not my network connection speed but the slow processor coupled with the pitiful and heavy WinMo operating system.

agreed. If that "mode" screen is real, I assume that "3G" means, for example "3G" when the screen is on (and you are interacting with the device), but Edge when it's downloading mail in the background, etc. Ideally it would look at the edge signal strength and make a determination; weak edge signal may actually consume more power than a decent HSDPA signal.

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I also have the 1st gen Blackjack and I also tend to leave it in Edge mode almost ALL the time. Because the processor is a little slow and the browser inefficient, 3G on this particular phone doesn't speed things up a whole lot. On the iPhone, I imagine that it will be a different story. All that being said, I will say this: 3G is a HUGE BATTERY HOG!!

Most people may end up finding out that a combination of Edge and Wi-Fi isn't such a bad combo after all.

In short, Yes, the 3G iPhone will definitely succeed. Apple is giving people what they are asking for and the people will swallow it up in droves. However, don't be surprised if people end up back on blogs such as these complaining about the battery drain from 3G.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I also have the 1st gen Blackjack and I also tend to leave it in Edge mode almost ALL the time. Because the processor is a little slow and the browser inefficient, 3G on this particular phone doesn't speed things up a whole lot. On the iPhone, I imagine that it will be a different story. All that being said, I will say this: 3G is a HUGE BATTERY HOG!!

Most people may end up finding out that a combination of Edge and Wi-Fi isn't such a bad combo after all.

In short, Yes, the 3G iPhone will definitely succeed. Apple is giving people what they are asking for and the people will swallow it up in droves. However, don't be surprised if people end up back on blogs such as these complaining about the battery drain from 3G.
A combo of EDGE and Wi-Fi is good, but then that's just keeping another chip active. If we turned those off and just had 3G up and running it would probably have the same battery life. The new iPhone is suppose to have increased battery life anyways, so I doubt keeping 3G on always will matter.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info

I don't disagree, but no other phone that I am aware of does such a thing. Only 3rd party WinMobile apps attempt something similar to this (switch based on location, not by activity.) And iPhone is the wrong phone to be having for 3rd party apps of such a nature.

If I may play devil's advocate here, using 3G in such a manner isn't the way it's really intended to work. 3G is supposed to replace GSM. So the intent is that you use 3G when available and use GSM as a back up.
The real answer is to fix the 3G power issue. WCDMA by it's very nature requires more power to operate than the archaic TDMA based GSM.

I have 3G PDAs as well and I agree about the battery use. But I for one prefer to use 3G all of the time and especially for phone calls which sound a heckuvalot better on 3G than GSM.

But having be the reality be what it is, it would be great if Apple thinks of implementing such a feature. It would certainly be innovative, and even a great reason to consider an iPhone specifically.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
You have got to be kidding me if you dont think this phone will succeed. Considering all the original iphone sales that were made last year, and allll the people who said to themselves, ill wait for the second one. (i did this myself) I cant even think for a second that this thing isnt goign to be one of the most popular pieces of technology since the cell phone was created. ITS GONNNA BE BIGGGG!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox