MacWorld Predictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
@archie

No new case design and no new Blu-Ray option. This is quite puzzling. There is something behind this Blu-Ray ordeal that we aren't seeing yet I think.

Gizmodo presents this by way of explanation for the lack of Mac Pro design tweaks:

Other sources inside Apple confirmed us that, after the introduction of the Intel architecture, the company's strategy was not to update the external design of their hardware for the time being. The idea was to complete the migration, keeping it as invisible as possible. So instead of introducing new designs as an element of disruption, they kept the looks steady to transmit the idea of continuity and stability to an existing user base wary of yet another major architectural change in the platform. Once the transition was solid, the company was going to start changing the looks of each of the product lines, one by one, starting with one of their core products: the iMac.

Here're the rest of Gizmodo's MacWorld predictions:

http://gizmodo.com/343246/what-to-expect-at-macworld-2008-and-why-we-think-it-will-bigger-than-usual

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
@archie

Gizmodo presents this by way of explanation for the lack of Mac Pro design tweaks:
Other sources inside Apple confirmed us that, after the introduction of the Intel architecture, the company's strategy was not to update the external design of their hardware for the time being. The idea was to complete the migration, keeping it as invisible as possible. So instead of introducing new designs as an element of disruption, they kept the looks steady to transmit the idea of continuity and stability to an existing user base wary of yet another major architectural change in the platform. Once the transition was solid, the company was going to start changing the looks of each of the product lines, one by one, starting with one of their core products: the iMac.

Yeah, I totally agree with this strategy but it has been a full 2 years since the Intel switch over... and the Pro machine design was around 4 years before that. AND since Apple already HAS changed the look of the iMac I was expecting a reworked case design for the Pro machine next. You are right in that the typical Pro level user is not as conscious (or concerned anyway) about the aesthetics but I was led to believe in a particular manner that these new desktops would look different so I am puzzled with this desktop having the same look.

As far as Apple's other desktop machine, the mini, I think its morphing/repurposing will dictate a new design there.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Probably something to do with Blu-Ray - in regards to this "Something in the Air" statement. Maybe an outboard Blu-Ray unit with wireless capabilities that you can use on the Mac Pros AND the Apple TV... and an iMac and the Mac mini and an iPhone, etc. One drive for the whole house or office. No use in purchasing an expensive Blu-Ray unit only to have it confined to the Pro machine.

Plus, if they are distributing iTunes video content on discs (as evidenced by premature Fox media releases), you will need a method to get that content to iTunes, so some sort of outboard disc player does seem to make sense.

So that would solve the Blu-Ray issue of the Pro machines but I am still puzzled about a case redesign.

Unless there was a whole new desktop class machine that Apple is making - larger than the mini, which seems weird given recent trends towards mobility.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Course "Something In The Air" could also just be in regards to that "disruption" I was speaking of earlier.

Apple disrupting AT&T themselves.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
@archie:

Well, there is always the rumor of the mini-tower (some of the TUAW people predict it again). A consumer-level Mac with expansion capabilities. That could be your new desktop class machine right there... (especially if Mini gets folded into Apple TV as a media-focused machine).

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Yeh, that's the kind of disruption I'm talking about. To elaborate though, the fact that Apple has partnered with AT&T on the iPhone does not stop them from partnering with FON or Sprint or whoever to provide WiMax on a different sort of mobile that is NOT an iPhone (but could provide iChat functionality: texting audio, video).

Also surprised they didn't mention the possibility that Apple TV would probably get WiMax (and Wi-Fi) as well. If they are entering into a new partnership with these studios, Apple is going to want to impress them with sales figures ("See, iTunes is the best distribution model for you"). How are they going to do that if everyone has to buy a new Airport Extreme (or some other such wireless n device). To require two separate devices would be a deterrent. The initial Apple TV didn't have this capability and so did not have the same requirements. It would be very Apple like to enter into this kind of new content business by providing a simple solution - an Apple TV that can get the content independent of other devices.

Anyway, I guess I don't fully expect everyone to realize these issues. I do myself because I have been emerged in the industry longer than most.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Not at all! Wifi music store could be seen as a first step in that very direction ( though there would have to be something for non wimax areas as well -- 'natch)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Yup, called Time Capsule, and also with 1TB!

Likewise, Mac Book Air, 1.1.3 iPhone, and movie rentals.

Check, check, check, and check.

One More Thing, however, was MIA?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Not sure what time capsule is all about. Thought that was a feature of their new OS where you just hook up any old external HD.

But i liked the other new things. Although I wouldn't purchase that thin laptop as it seems more of a fashion statement than any bang for the buck. I did hear it was instant on. But its too costly.

All in all, it was pretty lame from the iphone point of view.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Here's what I came up with tonight.

3 iLife apps get updated in the days preceding MacWorld Expo, the other 2 get updated during Macworld.

Update to Mac OS X preceding the show.

Brief mention of a small new addition to .Mac.

Probably about 2 new iPhone apps that Apple will make available as a separate purchase. One will probably be a To-Do List application that is only compatible with Leopard in conjunction with the iPhone.

ITunes 8.0 with support for movie rental service.

Movie related announcements and other iTunes related things.

New Hi-Fi device that has HD radio. This seems inevitable with all the partners Apple has lined up to take advantage of iTunes Tagging of songs from HD radio - so yes, I'm saying this new hi-fi device will have a built in HD radio. How come nobody has noticed that the "Buy Now" buttons have been stripped from the iPod Hi-Fi pages at Apple.com?

An atypical announcement of a professional high-end application at a consumer level show.

Also somewhat atypical is the announcement of new Pro machines.

Definitely a new, smaller sized portable. Somewhere between 8" X 5" - 13" X 8".
Possible that it will interact with some other Apple hardware piece. Maybe the Apple TV??? I don't really have any idea here. Just guessing obviously.

Oh, probably also 2 new Apple branded iPhone accessories and 1 new iPhone model that has 16GB memory.

The day after the keynote, new Xserves will be announced.

Keep in mind these are all pulled out of thin air with no unmentionable sources and not much thought put into it. They just seemed to make sense at this moment.

Oh, almost forgot about a new firmware/software upgrade for the iPhone.

2 for 12 (including the known movie rental stuff). Karnak would be impressed. (The sad thing is that several of your guesses are things Apple should be doing).

I like how Apple is charging existing Touch customers $20 for the same apps as the iPhone...or that come with the "new" Touch. (Ug).

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Not sure what time capsule is all about. Thought that was a feature of their new OS where you just hook up any old external HD.

But i liked the other new things. Although I wouldn't purchase that thin laptop as it seems more of a fashion statement than any bang for the buck. I did hear it was instant on. But its too costly.

All in all, it was pretty lame from the iphone point of view.

Up until now there was no officially supported solution for putting the backup target drive on the network (though there was an easy hack - I've been backing up to my infrant NAS for many weeks now). This is the first official solution. However, Apple has already officially said that it's a bug, and so there should be a fix to allow this with "any old" drive on the network before too long.

I can see where people who were considering a new router/access point would consider the time capsule, though I think people would be better off with an airport and plugging a usb drive into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice