Course "Something In The Air" could also just be in regards to that "disruption" I was speaking of earlier.

Apple disrupting AT&T themselves.
    01-11-2008 04:32 PM
    @archie:

Well, there is always the rumor of the mini-tower (some of the TUAW people predict it again). A consumer-level Mac with expansion capabilities. That could be your new desktop class machine right there... (especially if Mini gets folded into Apple TV as a media-focused machine).
    01-11-2008 05:04 PM
    Valleywag is rumormongering that the "Something in the Air" is integration of Wimax, possibly through the entire mobile line:

http://valleywag.com/344015/can-apple-save-wimax
    01-11-2008 05:09 PM
    Yeh, that's the kind of disruption I'm talking about. To elaborate though, the fact that Apple has partnered with AT&T on the iPhone does not stop them from partnering with FON or Sprint or whoever to provide WiMax on a different sort of mobile that is NOT an iPhone (but could provide iChat functionality: texting audio, video).

Also surprised they didn't mention the possibility that Apple TV would probably get WiMax (and Wi-Fi) as well. If they are entering into a new partnership with these studios, Apple is going to want to impress them with sales figures ("See, iTunes is the best distribution model for you"). How are they going to do that if everyone has to buy a new Airport Extreme (or some other such wireless n device). To require two separate devices would be a deterrent. The initial Apple TV didn't have this capability and so did not have the same requirements. It would be very Apple like to enter into this kind of new content business by providing a simple solution - an Apple TV that can get the content independent of other devices.

Anyway, I guess I don't fully expect everyone to realize these issues. I do myself because I have been emerged in the industry longer than most.
    01-11-2008 07:21 PM
    OK, that last sentence could be read as a high and mighty statement. Sorry about that.
    01-11-2008 07:27 PM
    Not at all! Wifi music store could be seen as a first step in that very direction ( though there would have to be something for non wimax areas as well -- 'natch)
    01-11-2008 07:53 PM
    Price drop today on the 20 and 24" cinema displays a harbinger of updates come MacWorld?
    01-11-2008 07:58 PM
    Roughly drafter weighs in:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...macworld-2008/
    01-13-2008 02:15 PM
    There is a reason Apple dropped Airport support for their Time Machine backup solution at the last moment.
    01-14-2008 09:26 PM
    Dedicated 802.11n 500GB Time Machine backup device?
    01-14-2008 09:28 PM
    Yup, called Time Capsule, and also with 1TB!

Likewise, Mac Book Air, 1.1.3 iPhone, and movie rentals.

Check, check, check, and check.

One More Thing, however, was MIA?
    01-15-2008 05:21 PM
    Not sure what time capsule is all about. Thought that was a feature of their new OS where you just hook up any old external HD.

But i liked the other new things. Although I wouldn't purchase that thin laptop as it seems more of a fashion statement than any bang for the buck. I did hear it was instant on. But its too costly.

All in all, it was pretty lame from the iphone point of view.
    01-16-2008 11:29 AM
    Yup, called Time Capsule, and also with 1TB
    Ummm... No offense rener but I am sure you are mistaken. It was me that came across the wireless backup solution to be announced at the keynote.
    01-16-2008 11:54 AM
    Here's what I came up with tonight.

3 iLife apps get updated in the days preceding MacWorld Expo, the other 2 get updated during Macworld.

Update to Mac OS X preceding the show.

Brief mention of a small new addition to .Mac.

Probably about 2 new iPhone apps that Apple will make available as a separate purchase. One will probably be a To-Do List application that is only compatible with Leopard in conjunction with the iPhone.

ITunes 8.0 with support for movie rental service.

Movie related announcements and other iTunes related things.

New Hi-Fi device that has HD radio. This seems inevitable with all the partners Apple has lined up to take advantage of iTunes Tagging of songs from HD radio - so yes, I'm saying this new hi-fi device will have a built in HD radio. How come nobody has noticed that the "Buy Now" buttons have been stripped from the iPod Hi-Fi pages at Apple.com?

An atypical announcement of a professional high-end application at a consumer level show.

Also somewhat atypical is the announcement of new Pro machines.

Definitely a new, smaller sized portable. Somewhere between 8" X 5" - 13" X 8".
    Possible that it will interact with some other Apple hardware piece. Maybe the Apple TV??? I don't really have any idea here. Just guessing obviously.

Oh, probably also 2 new Apple branded iPhone accessories and 1 new iPhone model that has 16GB memory.

The day after the keynote, new Xserves will be announced.

Keep in mind these are all pulled out of thin air with no unmentionable sources and not much thought put into it. They just seemed to make sense at this moment.

Oh, almost forgot about a new firmware/software upgrade for the iPhone.
    2 for 12 (including the known movie rental stuff). Karnak would be impressed. (The sad thing is that several of your guesses are things Apple should be doing).

I like how Apple is charging existing Touch customers $20 for the same apps as the iPhone...or that come with the "new" Touch. (Ug).
    01-16-2008 12:28 PM
    Not sure what time capsule is all about. Thought that was a feature of their new OS where you just hook up any old external HD.

But i liked the other new things. Although I wouldn't purchase that thin laptop as it seems more of a fashion statement than any bang for the buck. I did hear it was instant on. But its too costly.

All in all, it was pretty lame from the iphone point of view.
    Up until now there was no officially supported solution for putting the backup target drive on the network (though there was an easy hack - I've been backing up to my infrant NAS for many weeks now). This is the first official solution. However, Apple has already officially said that it's a bug, and so there should be a fix to allow this with "any old" drive on the network before too long.

I can see where people who were considering a new router/access point would consider the time capsule, though I think people would be better off with an airport and plugging a usb drive into it.
    01-16-2008 01:27 PM
    2 for 12 (including the known movie rental stuff). Karnak would be impressed. (The sad thing is that several of your guesses are things Apple should be doing).

I like how Apple is charging existing Touch customers $20 for the same apps as the iPhone...or that come with the "new" Touch. (Ug).
    I don't have a lot of sympathy for those customers - they bought something marketed as a fancy ipod, knowing what software it came with. (Pretty much all the software, other than the web browser, was equivalent to stuff on an ipod, and the web browser was there primarily to allow wifi itunes purchases). Adding those other apps moves it away from an ipod and more toward a mini-communicator. And if people don't want to pay, they can just jailbreak and get some equivalent apps, or wait a month or so and start downloading very cheap or free apps off of itunes.
    01-16-2008 01:30 PM
    Hey MikeC, its been a long time. So, 4 million iPhones sold. How do those numbers match up with your in store sales predictions?
    01-16-2008 03:56 PM
    I don't have a lot of sympathy for those customers - they bought something marketed as a fancy ipod, knowing what software it came with. (Pretty much all the software, other than the web browser, was equivalent to stuff on an ipod, and the web browser was there primarily to allow wifi itunes purchases). Adding those other apps moves it away from an ipod and more toward a mini-communicator. And if people don't want to pay, they can just jailbreak and get some equivalent apps, or wait a month or so and start downloading very cheap or free apps off of itunes.
    I subscribe to caveat emptor as much as the next guy. I just think it creates ill will where none is needed.

The Touch is a slick device, and to me, one of the jewels they should be pushing. (not everyone can switch carriers and phone, but everyone can switch PMPs)
    01-16-2008 04:27 PM
    Hey MikeC, its been a long time. So, 4 million iPhones sold. How do those numbers match up with your in store sales predictions?
    Well, I still go buy the stores every so often, and again, not much frenzy for iPhones (although lots of people buy Macs and Touches over the holidays it seemed.)

I do see a lot more in the wild, for sure.

I'm sure most of these sales are online, and the European numbers are in there as well.
    Still, I'm impressed they have sold that many - never underestimate the number of people willing to part with cash.

Here were the estimates back in the day:

Fiscal year ending Sept 2007, and Sept 2008.

American Technology Research: 250,000, N/A
    Bear Stearns & Co: 650,000, N/A
    Credit Suisse: 1.7 million, 12.3 million
    Pacific Crest Securities: 800,000, 4.8 million
    Piper Jaffray & Co: 1.2 million, 8 million
    UBS AG: 950,000, 8.1 million
    Goldman Sachs: 5.25M, 12 million
    JP Morgan: N/A, 9.85 million

A lot of variability there...Looks like Piper was the closest thus far.

It will be very interesting what the 2008 number are. I expect another iPhone release of some sort to push toward those numbers. Still, that is a lot of phones...it will be interesting to see if the meteoric rise continues. For a phone limited to certain carriers, these are sweet numbers.

So who's getting a Macbook Air? Isn't this what the Palm Foleo should have been? ;-)
    01-16-2008 04:42 PM
    @archie:

LOL! That's what I was saying. (Though you were a bit of a tease about it...)

The $20 for Touch update makes no sense to me given the iPhone and Apple TV updates are gratis. However, it's been pointed out that both those updates make Apple money via rentable movies, where the 5 apps for Touch don't. Don't understand still.

I like Time Capsule, but it will be interesting to see if you can use it for more than just Time Machine. And will iDrobo be next?

Apple TV 2 has me interested. I have a ton of DVDs I'd rather rip and make available via iTunes, but with a MPB I don't have the local storage to merely sync. If I could make a secondary library and synch that, it would be perfect,

Sad there was no "One more thing..." (even Safari Windows was one more thing...)
    01-16-2008 05:35 PM
    @archie:

LOL! That's what I was saying. (Though you were a bit of a tease about it...)

The $20 for Touch update makes no sense to me given the iPhone and Apple TV updates are gratis. However, it's been pointed out that both those updates make Apple money via rentable movies, where the 5 apps for Touch don't. Don't understand still.
    The apple TV update doesn't add new functionality (afaik) other than allowing you to spend money to rent movies. It doesn't provide anything free (other than a change in UI).

The touch update adds lots of new functionality that is free to use once installed, enabling the device to do things it was never advertised as being able to do.

I don't see any relationship between these updates. Demanding a free update is sort of like demanding Microsoft throw in Office because you already paid for Windows Basic (i.e.: Touch) and because people who buy Windows Super Deluxe (ie: iphone) already get Office.
    01-16-2008 05:44 PM
    I subscribe to caveat emptor as much as the next guy. I just think it creates ill will where none is needed.

The Touch is a slick device, and to me, one of the jewels they should be pushing. (not everyone can switch carriers and phone, but everyone can switch PMPs)
    Then I demand all itunes songs for free, because I like free stuff.
    01-16-2008 05:45 PM
    The apple TV update doesn't add new functionality (afaik) other than allowing you to spend money to rent movies. It doesn't provide anything free (other than a change in UI).

The touch update adds lots of new functionality that is free to use once installed, enabling the device to do things it was never advertised as being able to do.

I don't see any relationship between these updates. Demanding a free update is sort of like demanding Microsoft throw in Office because you already paid for Windows Basic (i.e.: Touch) and because people who buy Windows Super Deluxe (ie: iphone) already get Office.
    My question is will the 30+24 model work (30 days to view, 24 hours to complete after starting).

Sure, this appeals to the person who can sit and watch a movie; but what about those who watch things in chunks? Maybe it's small audience.

I do like the Netflix "free" streaming, although obviously it's computer oriented, not TV.

The real question is this - when will the hack be in place to download and playback as often as you want? ;-)
    01-16-2008 07:42 PM
    The real question is this - when will the hack be in place to download and playback as often as you want? ;-)
    http://lifehacker.com/345566/downloa...download-links

It removes the need for a computer running iTunes in order to download and watch video podcasts, including HD video podcats, for free.

It's not a question of demand or entitlement (and I don't even own a Touch). It's a question, for Apple, of PR. Including the new apps for free on new Touches makes (legitimately or not), early purchasers once again (rightly or wrongly) feel slighted by Apple (after the reaction to the iPhone price drop, it has become a melodrama of sorts).

Likewise, allowing wireless backups to Time Capsule but disabling them in the release version of Leopard (while they were enabled in the beta), absent a clear statement of whether or not its forthcoming and if not, why not, creates a PR problem (similar perhaps to the iPhone SDK where Jobs finally had to "just say it")

It's strange how Apple missteps these little perception problems as they grow... (which should be handled with better planning/pr from inception).
    01-17-2008 09:55 AM
    http://lifehacker.com/345566/downloa...download-links

It removes the need for a computer running iTunes in order to download and watch video podcasts, including HD video podcats, for free.

It's not a question of demand or entitlement (and I don't even own a Touch). It's a question, for Apple, of PR. Including the new apps for free on new Touches makes (legitimately or not), early purchasers once again (rightly or wrongly) feel slighted by Apple (after the reaction to the iPhone price drop, it has become a melodrama of sorts).

Likewise, allowing wireless backups to Time Capsule but disabling them in the release version of Leopard (while they were enabled in the beta), absent a clear statement of whether or not its forthcoming and if not, why not, creates a PR problem (similar perhaps to the iPhone SDK where Jobs finally had to "just say it")

It's strange how Apple missteps these little perception problems as they grow... (which should be handled with better planning/pr from inception).
    Rener, thanks for the link. I was referring to iTunes, not Netflix, but the Netflix stuff is good too.

Now if I could just get their player to work! (argh - audio, no video).
    01-17-2008 01:29 PM
129 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD